Corsair Community

H80I V2 and iCUE custom curve problem

Bionic

The fans are linked to coolant temperature and that is what they do -- remove heat from the coolant stream. When you cut the load, that does not make the coolant drop instantly. It will take several minutes for the cooler to reduce it's temperature close to where you started. This might be further complicated by gaming and waste GPU heat. Rear exhaust is a common placement for the H80i and that puts it right above your GPU. The majority of coolant temp rise is going to be GPU waste heat rather than CPU. If you heat the case interior up to 40C, then everything in that zone is going to be 40C. You can't reduce the coolant below the local temperature in the case. However, that also means you don't need to blast the fans either. If the case is 40C, the coolant can't drop in temp until the case gets rid of its heat. That can take a while. Perhaps you should describe your case layout, H80i location, and intake/exhaust fans so we can make a better recommendation. Basic hardware specifications would help too. Rather large difference in heat between a 1060 and 980 Ti x 2 SLI.

I have associated the temperature to the i7 8700K package when I leave the game is 32º celsius, it is rare because sometimes when leaving a game if the fans speed goes down but other times it stays stuck at a fixed speed

the custom curve to quiet, except for the last 3 points that I customize

The Hardware is:

I7 8700K

MSI Z370 Gaming m5

GTX 1080 Ti

I have associated the temperature to the i7 8700K package

Well... stop using CPU temp as the control variable. It’s not how cooling works and not surprisingly you get unpredictable results using a control variable that is exceptionally dynamic. You bought an “i” cooler to get around this problem, but are turning it back into a simpler device with no internal sensors or control. If you insist on using cpu temp, you might as well move the fans back to the motherboard and utilize whatever bios controls you have.

I do not see where the problem is, it seems safer to use the temperature of the processor, because the H80i can be lower

iCUE should work fine and lower the rpm of the fans when I'm on the windows desktop

it only works correctly if I restart the iCUE service

There is no "safer". This is not how this cooler or any other works. Your CPU temperature is created where the socket pins and electricity make contact with the CPU. This is then passed through the CPU and conducted away through the cold plate of whatever kind of cooler you have attached. It is essentially Vcore level + core design + load - heat conducted away. The fans have no bearing on this.

The second stage of cooling is getting rid of the waste heat. If its an air cooler, that's your pipes or other device conducting the heat to another location for release. With a liquid cooler, that is the coolant delivering the heat to the radiator where the fans help move it out of the coolant and to somewhere else. For this reason, the fans can only affect the coolant temperature.

A small air cooler has a very small heat capacity and must get rid of it quickly. A liquid cooler has a much higher capacity to hold heat before it negatively affects the CPU. The "negative effect" is heat moves both ways across the cold plate, in and out of the CPU. So if the coolant temp goes up +5C, you have increased the baseline CPU temp (with zero voltage) by +5C as well from what it would have been before. Some measure of coolant rise is unavoidable except in specialized external cooling systems, but it is still a relatively small number. That also means the fans only have a small effect on the CPU temperature.

You can contact Corsair Tech Support and report it as a bug or request they "fix it". However, you would be better served by using the cooler as designed. That does mean you need to figure out your typical baseline and peak coolant temps, but either way you would be better off using a fixed speed than package temp as the control variable.

I believe that associating the refrigerant liquid with the speed of the fans is an error, for when the CPU reaches 70º the refrigerant liquid is at about 30º / 35º

at the moment it seems that when starting the program with windows works correctly

it seems that now also works well without starting the program with the start of windows, if any news arises I will comment

I already know why it did not work correctly, you have to set the points higher than the maximum temperature of the game if for example the cpu in Assassins creed orgins reaches 70º / 72º degrees (5 Ghz) you have to establish the last point of the custom curve in 80th, it was strange because in some games it worked well and in others it did not work

false alarm thought it was that but no, clearly it seems a failure of the program

I believe that associating the refrigerant liquid with the speed of the fans is an error, for when the CPU reaches 70º the refrigerant liquid is at about 30º / 35º

No, it is not an error. It's science. Somewhere I have explained this is 15 paragraphs for the very stubborn and I will try and link one of those explanations. For now, recognize the default fan presets of Quiet/Balanced/Extreme (Performance) are all scaled for coolant temperature. Make sure you create your own custom curve and move the points from 20-40C zone up to something more appropriate for CPU temperature.

Remember how the heat is generated. At the pins and based on CPU load. This is strictly down to Vcore when analyzing one specific CPU. No need to debate a Vcore of 1.35v will cause higher core temps than 1.15v. There is nothing you can do about that. The heat is created the moment the Vcore goes from its idle 0.6-0.7 up to 1.xx. On the 8700K, this all the time! Watch your Vcore. It cycles like a roller coaster and this is one of the harder things to get used to on Kaby and Coffee Lake for those coming from older Sandy Bridge CPUs. Even my Haswell-E is placid by comparison. The 8700K was designed to be extremely responsive to light loads. Open a folder, a program, or a even just your browser and watch the Vcore shoot to max and several cores along with it. There is no cooling system than can react to this, nor does it need to. All cooling systems are conductive. The radiator /fan apparatus is the waste heat removal part of the process. If you don't take out the trash/heat, it will pile up with negative effect. Specifically, for each +1C rise in coolant temperature, you increase the CPU temp baseline by 1C. Coolant temperature is minimum CPU temp. However, when talking about 8700Ks with a power on temp rise of +35-50C. It's hot. That's how it is and it won't change if you have a 720mm radiator in push pull or 10 ft external system with 100 gallon reservoir. You will know when you need more fan speed because the coolant temp will slowly rise. If your H80i is rear mounted, you will definitely see this during gaming. It is OK the fans speed up with this. 1) It means you need to get that waste heat from the GPU out of the case and the radiator and fans are part of the intake/exhaust system. 2) Even if the heat does not originate from the CPU, it still raises the coolant temp and the the minimum CPU temp as well. If you get to the low 70s gaming, you likely prefer to stay right there and not go higher. I will suggest again using a fixed fan speed for gaming if the H80i is rear mounted. Set it to the highest speed you are comfortable with. This will provide maximum cooling from the start while also aiding in case temp management.

I think I've found the cause, with the only game that happens is with Assassins creed origins

The H80i is mounted on the rear part of the case, taking air from the outside of the case with the fans in push pull

nothing seemed that the cause was Assassins creed origins but no, I have no idea where this failure can come from

Archived