Corsair Community

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe and TW3X4G1600C9DHX

cenit

I'm trying to setup a pc with 4 GB of Corsair DDR3 1600MHz on an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (cpu: Intel Q9550). The motherboard recognizes them as 1066MHz and is unstable (freezes randomly also during memtests, but without any error before).

I've tried to setup manually 9-9-9-24@1.80V@1600MHz but it's unstable (freezes) and also other config like 9-9-9-24@1.60@1333MHz are not good.

I've also updates the bios without any luck.

I don't know for sure if it's a problem with the ram (the mobo is known for poor ram tolerance, but corsair on its site suggests this TW3X4G1600C9DHX that i've bought)... What could I do? Any suggestion is appreciated!

Maybe I need only to setup more parameters manually other than the few that i know... The cpu, when used with FSB 1600, should work properly... not? Do I have to tweak also cpu in the bios? But it freezes also with FSB 1333 so i don't think this is the problem!

P.S.: I cannot return the mobo but the ram is refundable, so if you can suggest other corsair ram I can try (even if I would like to use these, I like challenges)!

sorry for my english, i hope you can understand,and if you need more info please ask!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that processor and the 1600Mhz DRAM you must run with a 400Mhz FSB to create the necessary (Intel) 1:1 ratio.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure Advanced CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Setting = 8.5

C1E Support = Enabled

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai OVerclocking Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Setting = 400

PCIE Frequency = 100

FSB Strap to North Bridge = 400

DRAM Frequency = 1600

Dram CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto

Dram CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto

Dram CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto

Dram CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

Dram TIming COntrol = Manual

Primary Information

CAS# Latency = 9

DRAM RAS# to CAS #Delay = 9

DRAM RAS# Precharge = 9

DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge = 24

RAS# to RAS# Delay = Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time = Auto

Write Recovery Time = Auto

Read to Precharge Time = Auto

Secondary Information

Read to Write Delay (S/D) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (D) = Auto

Third Information

WRITE to PRE delay = Auto

READ to PRE delay = Auto

PRE to PRE delay = Auto

ALL PRE to ACT delay = Auto

ALL PRE to RED Delay = Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

DRAM Read Training = Disabled

DRAM Write Training = Disabled

MEM. OC Charger = ENABLED

Ai Clock Twister= Auto

Ai Transaction Booster= Auto

Volages

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2) = Auto

CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3) = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 1.8v

NB Voltage = 1.3

NB GTL Reference = Auto

SB Voltage = Auto

PCIE SATA Voltage = Auto

Load-Line Calibration = [Disabled]

CPU Spread Spectrum = [Disabled]

PCIE Spread Spectrum = [Disabled]

CPU Clock Skew = Auto

NB Clock Skew = Auto

CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized

Run Memtest for two full passes.

Results?

I'm doing that.

I got 84 errors just at the beginning...

Note that I don't want to O.C. my pc, so I would like to reset memory at 1333 if possible (yes I know that it's stupid with 1600 MHz ram to run them at 1333 but I have those and I would like to use them...).

Posting while doing memtest, after those 84 errors now it's proceeding without anyone (at 13% of 1st pass...)

ok i just stopped it: at 34% of the 1st pass the errors exploded in a moment (130.000 and counting) , while doing the fifth test at 98% (block move 64 moves, 128k - 2048 4095 M)

I have reset it to default profile (everything at auto) and redoing memtest. Now i'm at 13% of first pass without any error...

ah, after reboot I checked the cpu temperature (with your setting was o.c.@3.4 GHz) and it was 25°C for the cpu and 30°C for the MB, so everything normal here...

edit: now at 92% of pass 0 (1st pass) and no errors and no freezes... (everything @ auto, so ram should be at 1066... poor but acceptable if stable... I cannot explain why at the beginning (friday) was freezing also with ram @ 1066...)

edit2: pass complete, no errors, I'm now trying ram @1333 only setting DDR3-1333MHz in the bios "DRAM Frequency", other settings @auto

edit3: i'm not sure if i was at 1066 MHz before when I was at auto, because the transfer rate now is 4827 MB/s and it seems the same as before... Sorry I didn't noticed if the bios upgrade put auto values @ 1333... redoing memtest anyway, 0 errors at 7%...

edit4: ok, memtest passed also with ram @1333MHz and everything else @auto... I'm trying to install vista, to have an OS for further tests... hoping to not have freeze anymore (without changing anything, by the way, so I don't know what's happening...)

no!!!! it froze again during vista setup!!

let's see:

memtest86+ with DerekT settings: fail with many many errors (see previous posts)

memtest86+ with everything to auto: OK (used to freeze but now seems ok)

memtest86+ with everything to auto except DRAM Frequency set to 1333: OK (used to freeze but now seems ok, I don't know why...)

installing vista with everything to auto except DRAM Frequency set to 1333: another froze

what can I try? help please...

when you installing vista, dont use 4Gb of ram. install it with 2Gb and install the hotfix (the 1 in my sig), after that you can use all the ram modules again

thanks, but I don't get a stop message, it freezes on the Extracting files section (mouse is unresponsive and the dvd stops to spin). Also, vista dvd has sp1 integrated so should be free of this problem...

I have disabled raid (I don't have a spare floppy disk drive to install) and I'm installing Windows Server 2003 (coming from Dreamspark), I'm trying with that, but I don't think it's an OS problem..... now it's formatting (not really quick...), I will post here if also this setup freezes...

So I have the same configuration as cenit, only that I have 2x1Gb memory stick. First problem I had, was that computer did not post with that ram, so I thought that this is because bios needs to be upgraded, as they claimed they repaired some issues with 1600mhz rams in 1306 v. I bought new ram, transcend 1Gb 1333mhz. Computer did post, so I was able to update bios. Then I put back in corsair ram, 2x1gb, and the system did not post again. Then I remove one stick and system start up. So now was time to install windows. Windows froze everytime durning setup at random parts...it drove me crazy:mad:. Then after some readings over forums I changed DRAM frequency to 1600, and the first options , I don't remember right now, to manual, latency timings from auto to 7-7-7-18 even though i don't know what for these settings are cause I meet with them for the first time. But it helped. I was able to install windows without any problems. But now when i want to put in both stick of ram system does not post. So if it works with one stick it should work with two too. I think that i should change some settings but I am new in those kind of things and don't know what to change. Any help would be appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

I am here Monday Through Friday Excluding Holidays!

And if you do not want to over clock the CPU then you will be limited to DDR1333 and I would set them manually to DDR1333 at Cas 9-9-9-24 2T C/R at 1.8 Volts and test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing.

In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And since you are not running them at DDR1600 you might be able to get them running at Cas 7-7-7-20 at DDR1333 but test them one up first to be sure one is not failing.

I have set them at 1333 with 9-9-9-24 and 1.80V and not any error appear. The problem is that the pc freezes whenever it wants (it could be almost at the beginning or never, but unfortunately it has always freezed while installing an os, so I'm without an os on this PC)

edit: it seems (from internet) that P5Q3 doesn't have Command Rate settings in the bios, so it's not me that I'm particularly stupid now... so what can I do?

edit2: i'm redoing memtests with your suggested parameters (that I have just tried but anyway redoing) except the 2T thing but disabling USB legacy (maybe it will do the trick to improve stability??)

edit3: ok, I've just finished testing module 1 for 2 full passes, no error, module 2 for 2 full passes, no error, and now i'm testing both modules and it's at the 2nd pass, no error at the moment... I will try to install an os. If it freezes also this time, could it still be a ram issue or memtest says that ram are surely&perfectly ok at 9-9-9-24@1333MHz@1.80V??? If it's not a ram issue, the responsability fall on whom?

sorry for my english, i'm not really used to write it...

sorry but in your stick there's written

"The following part may top out at a speed short of 1600MHz on a P45-based motherboard:

TW3X4G1600C9DHX"

and i shouldn't have problem because i want to run them at 1333MHz...

Also, in the corsair site mine are suggested ram for the motherboard, labelled "For enthusiasts".

For the records, I've tried bios 0704 and I was able to install the system and perform some tests, all brilliantly concluded @1333MHz@9-9-9-24@1.80V. It did the magic, I hope.

Now I'm reinstalling the OS on the raid system, I hope it works also now.

it works perfectly now, perfectly reinstalled on the raid system. Hope nothing goes wrong in the following days and stability persists!

If someone other has the same problems, remember to suggest him/her BIOS 0704. Automagically it resolved everything!

• 2 weeks later...

after some days on the pc, I've found that it's not perfectly stable, some freeze and BSOD still remain (always in the middle of the work, of course...)

I've also found that YOU (CORSAIR) have removed this type of ram from the suggested for this motherboard. I'm sure this is not a good move without informing your customers... I wouldn't have bought them if they weren't suggested...

Now I'm left with a system which is working but not stable, so I don't feel comfortable using it.

What can I do? What could YOU do???

• Corsair Employee
From out of the USA call 510-578-1421 and I think the country code from Europe is 001 but ask your operator to be sure. Or I would ask the reseller if they will let you return the modules you have now and buy the C7 part instead.

From out of the USA call 510-578-1421 and I think the country code from Europe is 001 but ask your operator to be sure. Or I would ask the reseller if they will let you return the modules you have now and buy the C7 part instead.

it's an international call, and if everything goes well, an international shipping... i've found that corsair doesn't have any italian customer service...

thanks a lot ramguy, but my reseller did say that they cannot replace a working product after 10 days after purchase, I would have to sell them (for example through ebay) and buy other ram (loosing money).

I'm sad, it's the first time that I experience a problem like this... well, a lesson for the future.

Again, thanks a lot for your advice. Hope to hear you soon in other

circumstances.

Stefano

Archived