Corsair Community

iCUE 3.19 System Interrupts High CPU Usage

momorious

Today I downloaded iCUE 3.19 through iCUE.

Directly after the download and install I noticed that Gsync is completely broken, the game image is stuttering like hell and the Hz is not refreshing correctly to the in game FPS.

As this was the ONLY change from yesterday to today I immediately though this can only be related to iCUE. Therefore I unsinstalled 3.19 and installed 3.18 again and voila, Gsync again is working as it should.

BUT NOW ALL MY PROFILES WERE LOST! How the f*** can this happen when I uninstall a version and install an older version? NEVER happened before, what is this for a broken release?

So to all: BE AWARE of the new update and skip it. @Corsair: You should immediately pull 3.19 from the download servers and fix it asap.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if it's related, but I noticed that one of my CPU core was running close to 100% and it was hardware interrupts, not a process.

I ran Latency Monitor and it was showing high latency with NVIDIA driver and HD audio.

I tried updating all drivers, downgrading, even BIOS update/downgrade.

I didn't think it could be iCUE, but I uninstalled it, rebooted and no more hardware interrupts taking one core of my CPU.

Now Latmon no longer shows latency issue with Nvidia drivers and audio.

Edited by thestu

That's interesting. I also noticed a 20% FPS loss with 3.19 installed but didn't looked at cpu usage... That would be a perfect explanation of why performance is bad and Gsync doesn't work properly. But for sure this new version is completely broken.

The thing is that with task manager and multicore cpu, it won't be too noticeable. In my case Interrupts were between 6-7% which is about 100% / 12 cores = 8%

Also, it was core 0 and applications that were using this core would suffer.

Now I'm back to 3.18 and no more issues.

Edited by thestu

Because all my profiles were deleted I decided to try 3.19 again after your answers and indeed, that's the issue. One cpu core is set to 100% usage almost all the time. It even slows desktop browsing down to laggy. And 20-30% FPS loss in games with massive stuttering and non working Gsync.

So, Corsair, issue found, now pull the 3.19 release and release a fix. But please test the new version before you send it to public, unbelievable that such a massive groundbreaking issue can go through betatesting.

I was about to do the same, because I can't import my profiles that I exported with 3.19...

For single thread application using that core, they will suffer a lot as hardware interrupts have higher priority.

Thanks for confirming momorious ;)

I don't know... I have been using this version for several weeks prior to release. I have a 3440x1440 G-sync ultra wide that is picky about everything, but not this version of CUE. I have not experienced anything like what you are talking about. Obviously something happened, but it may have been local issue versus an inherent problem with that version. Make sure iCUE is on the exception list and you are not using G-sync Windowed mode. That seems to cause problems for everything. There also was a Nvidia driver update yesterday. Hopefully you are not on the automatic download and install settings for that.

Yeah, you have to watch out on the software versions and profiles exports. You can't use profiles created or exported on a higher version on a lower version. This is a major pain in the @@@ if you have to go backwards after a lot of creative work. I have been burned before. I would not invest any major creative time on a new release until you are sure it works for you. The other thing I do is back up the entire C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair folder before each iCUE install and save it in a labeled folder. That will let me go back if needed and restore the prior state. However, be aware there are limitations to that and it will not help if you have to make a hardware change.

I forgot to mention that I do not have Gsync and had the issue. I have the latest NVIDIA driver though as it was one of my troubleshooting step. I had 431.x before.

I guess it is a lesson learned for me, always make backup before update!

Now, I have to wait a new version higher than 3.19 to restore my profiles...

Thanks for the info c-attack!

Edited by thestu

I don't know... I have been using this version for several weeks prior to release. I have a 3440x1440 G-sync ultra wide that is picky about everything, but not this version of CUE. I have not experienced anything like what you are talking about. Obviously something happened, but it may have been local issue versus an inherent problem with that version. Make sure iCUE is on the exception list and you are not using G-sync Windowed mode. That seems to cause problems for everything. There also was a Nvidia driver update yesterday. Hopefully you are not on the automatic download and install settings for that.

Yeah, you have to watch out on the software versions and profiles exports. You can't use profiles created or exported on a higher version on a lower version. This is a major pain in the @@@ if you have to go backwards after a lot of creative work. I have been burned before. I would not invest any major creative time on a new release until you are sure it works for you. The other thing I do is back up the entire C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair folder before each iCUE install and save it in a labeled folder. That will let me go back if needed and restore the prior state. However, be aware there are limitations to that and it will not help if you have to make a hardware change.

I did all profiles with 3.18 or before 3.18 and all profiles were deleted after Uninstall of 3.19 and re-install of 3.18 so what you describe is not my issue. The profiles should not have been deleted with the Uninstall of 3.19 in the first place, that's the issue.

And no, as I said, the ONLY change from Wednesday to Yesterday was the iCUE update. EVERYTHING else is exactly the same as on Wednesday where everything ran smoothly so the issue of 20-30% FPS loss and broken Gsync because of overloaded cpu usage is DIRECTLY related to the new 3.19 icue release! I even proved that by installing 3.19 again yesterday after I installed 3.18 where everything was fine again and boom, again directly the stutter in Game and 100% cpu usage on one core. 3.19 is definitely broken, maybe not with your system but at least there are systems out there which are affected by a bug bug and corsair have to immediately stop the 3.19 release and invest in better Betatester and QC.

I did all profiles with 3.18 or before 3.18 and all profiles were deleted after Uninstall of 3.19 and re-install of 3.18 so what you describe is not my issue. The profiles should not have been deleted with the Uninstall of 3.19 in the first place, that's the issue.

No, that is the issue. Once you upgrade to a new version, all your profiles are immediately tagged with the new version profile format. The moment you installed 3.19, all your profile data in App Data folder became 3.19 profiles. When you go back to 3.18, you now have a data folder full of unrecognizable 3.19 profiles and thus the "vanished" look. If you were to go into the data folder, they may still be there, but are effectively lost. There is no way to turn them back into 3.18 profiles. I understand and I was steaming mad the first time. Lesson learned.

You do seem to be having an issue, but you are the only one thus far. Normally I would say stick to 3.18 and know your life is otherwise not affected by anything in 3.19. However, if you did not tell iCUE to delete the profile/settings data when you uninstalled, it may still be there and re-installing 3.19 may bring the profiles back. That would be an incentive to try and work things out. Hard to say on this end what is happening to you. Besides the normal steps of making sure you are not applying Gsync to windowed mode and the iCUE app, I would probably reinstall 3.19 and then reinstall the GPU driver through normal means (not the silly GFE).

*Of note, iCUE obviously has a GPU element to rendering all those little graphs and animations. Any time you uninstall GPU drivers, it is going to crash the app. I suggest fully exiting iCUE on the Task Manager level before doing any GPU installs/removals. It should just crash and that's it, but why take unnecessary chances with annoying stuff like this.

No, that is the issue. Once you upgrade to a new version, all your profiles are immediately tagged with the new version profile format. The moment you installed 3.19, all your profile data in App Data folder became 3.19 profiles. When you go back to 3.18, you now have a data folder full of unrecognizable 3.19 profiles and thus the "vanished" look. If you were to go into the data folder, they may still be there, but are effectively lost. There is no way to turn them back into 3.18 profiles. I understand and I was steaming mad the first time. Lesson learned.

You do seem to be having an issue, but you are the only one thus far. Normally I would say stick to 3.18 and know your life is otherwise not affected by anything in 3.19. However, if you did not tell iCUE to delete the profile/settings data when you uninstalled, it may still be there and re-installing 3.19 may bring the profiles back. That would be an incentive to try and work things out. Hard to say on this end what is happening to you. Besides the normal steps of making sure you are not applying Gsync to windowed mode and the iCUE app, I would probably reinstall 3.19 and then reinstall the GPU driver through normal means (not the silly GFE).

*Of note, iCUE obviously has a GPU element to rendering all those little graphs and animations. Any time you uninstall GPU drivers, it is going to crash the app. I suggest fully exiting iCUE on the Task Manager level before doing any GPU installs/removals. It should just crash and that's it, but why take unnecessary chances with annoying stuff like this.

Thats not correct. I already did update to a new version, disliked that version, uninstalled that version and went back to the older version WITHOUT losing all profiles so it is very much possible to downgrade to an older version, of course.

And no, I am not the only one with the high CPU usage bug as you can read in this thread. And I bet there are a lot of other users out there with that issue once you can download it through the Corsair sites (which is still not the case, you only get it through icue itself atm and not everyone clicks every day on the check for update button without seeing here in the forums a sticky that there is a new version - which was also not posted yet). Therefore the user-group is indeed VERY small for now and this issue will become widespread once its release is communicated and published on the corsair site.

And as you can also read, I already re-installed 3.19 to check the CPU usage bug - profiles still all deleted, folder empty btw, completely vanilla.

Dont know why you defend corsair that much. Yes, obviously you are a betatester but there is an abvoius bug which cant be ignored and defended.

The CPU issue will not be easy to see for every user. As I said it only shows up as a small percentage in the task manager depending on the number of cores/threads you have.

100% / cores, in my case 6-8%

I did test reinstalling 3.19 and the Interrupts CPU usage issue came back immediately. I'm back to 3.18.

I agree with momorious. The public version came out yesterday or the day before and potentially other users might or will be experiencing the interrupt CPU usage. Maybe they are not using Gsync, so it might not be obvious. In my case, it was not doing too much damage until I started using GNS3/VMware for my network labs, the CLI was very sluggish. This is when I started investigating.

I also registered to this forum to raise that issue. I was a long time reader, but never registered, because I never had any issues before.

Edit: I'm curious to see the release notes.

Edited by thestu

Today I downloaded iCUE 3.19 through iCUE.

Directly after the download and install I noticed that Gsync is completely broken, the game image is stuttering like hell and the Hz is not refreshing correctly to the in game FPS.

As this was the ONLY change from yesterday to today I immediately though this can only be related to iCUE. Therefore I unsinstalled 3.19 and installed 3.18 again and voila, Gsync again is working as it should.

BUT NOW ALL MY PROFILES WERE LOST!

I am having trouble following your narrative. That does not sound like your profiles were there again on 3.18.

Is the complaint high CPU usage? Or is it broken Gsync?

Therefore the user-group is indeed VERY small for now and this issue will become widespread once its release is communicated and published on the corsair site.

Dont know why you defend corsair that much. Yes, obviously you are a betatester but there is an abvoius bug which cant be ignored and defended.

Are you a fortune teller? Don't be an @@@. What I said is there are a good number of people with Gsync monitors and this version for quite a while and no reports of this sort of crippling performance or Gsync issue. You are the one with "20-30% loss of FPS". I don't know what sort of mathematical, statistical, or scientific skill set you have, but one does not meet the threshold for widespread epidemic failure. I am not sure why you think I am defending anyone. I am telling you you're the first one, so you might want to be methodical and thorough in your analysis. That would be necessary if indeed this is a bug so it can be traced back to the source.

If you guys want to talk about CPU usage for the program, there are a million other threads where people get into this and opinions vary from 0.9% being "outrageous" to others who could care less and use the RAM software control at 12% -- something I certainly wouldn't stand for. However, be aware CPU usage is both CPU, iCUE hardware, and pattern specific. We''l have to see on the system interrupts (USB related?). That is something a lot of people might not notice, can come from conflicts with other stuff, and is a nightmare to deal with. If that continues I would start another thread with the appropriate title. I don't see anything in your hardware specs that might be inherently problematic and it is similar to mine. Are there any other USB devices not listed (sound cards, external drives, Steam controllers, etc.)?

Edited by c-attack

Didn't you read the whole thread...? Or even anything in this thread other than the topic headline?

I first thought it's broken Gsync, then thestu replied he is having high cpu usage 100% on one core. Then I checked again after I already downgraded back to 3.18 (where I lost all profiles in this downgrade step). So I was again on 3.18 and upgraded AGAIN to 3.19 (profiles still gone). And then I also encountered the issue is that one cpu core is 100% usage all the time, even on desktop which slows everything down. Therefore in Game I have 20-30% less FPS and also therefore Gsync is broken because it can't refresh correctly to the frames of the GPU because the cpu is fully overloaded. It's not 0.9% or 12%, it's 100% usage on ONE core.

I was not complaining about 0.9% CPU usage being outragous, I was raising the fact that MAYBE the Gsync issue momorious was having was releated to the interrupt issue I was having...

It is super easy for me to replicate the issue and VMware/GNS3 performance goes to hell when I install iCUE 3.19 because of the high interrupt usage. Maybe the issue we are having is caused by the high interrupt numbers and drivers/virtualization software (in my case) are affected by that because they are interfacing with hardware.

There is a big difference between a software using 12% of the CPU and hardware interrupts using almost 100% of 1 core as interrupts have higher priority. Software will have their share of the CPU.

Maybe it is a configuration we have that conflicts with iCUE, I'm not saying the opposite. However, I uninstalled every OEM drivers from my PC, disabled one by one, stopped any application in the background. I have very few software installed on my computer as it is only used for GNS3/VMware and a few games.

I don't have anything special connected to that PC other than Corsair K55 keyboard, Corsair Saber mouse and Xbox controller. Everything else is in my PC specs. I have Logitech speakers which are not USB.

Edit: I followed all those tutorials about high interrupt usage like this one https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-system-interrupts-high-cpu-usage-windows-10/

Edit2: Maybe we could rename the title and add high CPU interrupts?

Edited by thestu

I was not complaining about 0.9% CPU usage being outragous, I was raising the fact that MAYBE the Gsync issue momorious was having was releated to the interrupt issue I was having...

I wasn't quoting either of you. That one belongs to someone else and was meant to illustrate the wide range of opinions on what constitutes a program failure.

I can't follow his diatribe and don't have any intention of spending my day off trying to extract meaningful information from him. Your system interrupt events are a royal nuisance, but all I can do is pass it along. I don't see anything on your hardware list that hints of trouble and we have similar components. I don't know why your system is doing this, but obviously stay on 3.18. I am on 3.19 and my system interrupts are at the usual 0.1% on an 8700K. I have been all over every process working on CPU/RAM testing this week and would definitely have noticed something like this. It also would have tanked all my comparative benchmark tests. 6-7% system interrupts is clearly out of bounds and not acceptable. We'll have to see how this plays out with more users on more systems.

Well ...

I've had 3.19 running on 4 different systems over the past few weeks.

1 is an x399 ThreadRipper

1 is a z270/i7-7700K

1 is a z270/i7-6700K

1 is a B450/Ryzen 5

There are various other assorted and sundry differences between them. One of them does run GSync and is regularly used for gaming. I've been getting 144Hz on Overwatch without fail. CPU usage is within normal parameters. Two of the systems in question run Hyper-V virtualization. One of them is used daily for development. Now, on that one, after long periods of debugging, I do see high CPU usage due to system interrupts. But that's just Visual Studio being a pig. That's not an iCUE issue.

So ... that's 4 systems without issues to your 1. Not saying that there isn't a problem but it's a bit premature to say that it's going to be widespread. Perhaps if you stopped insisting that an acorn falling on your head meant that the sky was falling, we could narrow down what the issue is on your specific system.

Well ...

I've had 3.19 running on 4 different systems over the past few weeks.

1 is an x399 ThreadRipper

1 is a z270/i7-7700K

1 is a z270/i7-6700K

1 is a B450/Ryzen 5

There are various other assorted and sundry differences between them. One of them does run GSync and is regularly used for gaming. I've been getting 144Hz on Overwatch without fail. CPU usage is within normal parameters. Two of the systems in question run Hyper-V virtualization. One of them is used daily for development. Now, on that one, after long periods of debugging, I do see high CPU usage due to system interrupts. But that's just Visual Studio being a pig. That's not an iCUE issue.

So ... that's 4 systems without issues to your 1. Not saying that there isn't a problem but it's a bit premature to say that it's going to be widespread. Perhaps if you stopped insisting that an acorn falling on your head meant that the sky was falling, we could narrow down what the issue is on your specific system.

I am assuming that was not directed to me? :)

Is there something I can pull, test, trace to get more info on my high interrupts for further troubleshooting?

I just reinstalled iCUE 3.19 and interrupts are high. See attachments for before and after.

Btw Visual Studio should not do hardware interrupts such as drivers or software interfacing with hardware. Unless you are doing low level hardware development and debugging.

We are 2 reporting the same high interrupts/1 core high CPU usage though.

Like I said in a previous post, I'm not saying this is definately iCUE or widespread, maybe this is something in our systems conflicting with iCUE. However, rollbacking to 3.18 fixes my issue.

Thanks for your help!

interrupts318.thumb.png.6ae1fe358a58baad6df14247b65ffef5.png

interrupts319.thumb.png.d6751b275142b0e96a8e839e1d406a38.png

Just updated myself, no CPU usage increase or slamming one core but I am on a Ryzen instead of OP's Intel. CPU load seems to have decreased for me using full software control on my Dominator RAM to tell you the truth, hovering around 9% while posting this.

Hi, i am at i5 - 4590 - gtx 970 , have a k95 p and mousepad pollaris, dis update and still pretty normal playing overwatch. Have no Issues, i just note that some profiles that i choose use more cpu then other, but at max 3% . Very normal to me.

I did a lot of troubleshooting steps and it seems the interrupts/core 0 high usage begins when I start iCUE and not Corsair Service.

I tried to disable Corsair service, remove iCUE from startup and the issue only begins when I start iCUE manually particularly when it starts detecting stuff.

I also tried to enable full software control for the RAM and interrupts dropped from 80-90% (6-7% total) on core 0 to 20-30% (2-3% total). However, CPU usage of iCUE.exe increased, but this is expected.

One funny thing is that, if I have the high interrupt issue and put my computer to sleep and wake it up, no more issue! This is until reboot though.

I have a Corsair K55 keyboard, Sabre mouse, H100i Pro, 4 Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB DDR4-3000, 1 Commander Pro with 6 LL120 and 1 Lightning Node with 2 Lightstrips.

I don't have Asus Aura or any Asus utilities installed, no benchmark or hardware info tools that could interfere with iCUE.

I will probably stick with 3.18 in the mean time.

Edited by thestu

Is there something I can pull, test, trace to get more info on my high interrupts for further troubleshooting?

Not at this point. We reported it this morning and the next step is they will try to recreate it. If they can't, then they may ask for logs and other details. However, I think they will be successful in replicating because I was able to find a problem.

I mentioned I had been running RAM tests all week and would have noticed any kind of CPU interference. Instead my results were incredible precise, but I was also using my older Domiantor Platinum 3200C15 4x4 (Non-RGB). In the past, the only stuff that has really been problematic with CPU usage is the RGB RAM. Software mode is still very resource intensive and I always use the hardware lighting mode. As a result, I think I missed this in early testing. I put my Dominator RGB kit i just got back last week on. Still in hardware mode, my Time Spy 12 CPU "crystal test" is all over the place with iCUE 3.19 running in the background. Huge 2000-3000 point swings (33% variance) between runs and massively less than the 4x4 kit. I uninstalled iCUE and set identical timings as my Dominator 4x4 kit. The result? Identical score to the other kit. Clearly iCUE is having some negative effect on CPU performance and it is fairly strong. I don't get anywhere near the level of system interrupts you get (2-3% at most and lower with iCUE running), however that is a 4x increase over using non-RGB RAM at identical settings.

You were right, there is a problem and the issue seems to be with RGB RAM.

You appear to have the Vengeance PRO RGB line. I have been using my non-RGB kit for the last month and did not pick up on the problem because it doesn't exist when I use the other RAM. With the RGB RAM on and 3.19, I am definitely getting FPS drops and the minimum frame rate is much lower than it should be. This becomes crystal clear in CPU bottlenecked games like MMOs with not much other overhead. It doesn't show up as usage increase for me, but more like the traditional system interrupt that tanks your performance with micro-stutter, etc. I have my Gsync turned off, so I think that aspect is a dead horse. Thank you for being so thorough. The possible cause didn't quite hit me until I saw the charts in the post above and it reminded me of early RAM issues.

So I think the obvious step here is to stay on 3.18. Naturally I have done a vast amount of creating in 3.19, so I won't be using any of those profiles right now. I would not expect a fix until 3.20 next month.