Corsair Community

Black Edition Memory Profile CMD4GX3M2B1600C8?

parkupine

I'm looking at configuring a new system but cannot find sufficient info on dominaotor memory listed at New Egg. I am looking at:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 black edition CPU

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard

I see New Egg lists CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 with a special note regarding BEMP. (There is also a special version for the Intel processors and a C9 plain vanilla one.)

"4GB DOMINATOR kit (2 x 2GB) for use with AMD Dual Channel DDR3 systems Black Edition Memory Profile (BEMP) Supported DOMINATOR Heat Sinks"

I can find exactly no info on the internet about this BEMP feature. Is it designed only for Asus motherboards or is this memory usable for general AM3 motherboards with black edition CPUs?

I know Corsair is not in the Gigabyte QVL, but I am partial to the brand...

Any info and suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Those specs should work on the board since I have seen them in several reviews. The BEMP spec seems odd, but there are different part numbers.

CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 = for use with AMD Dual Channel DDR3 systems Black Edition Memory Profile (BEMP)

CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 = for use with Dual Channel DDR3 Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors

Perhaps the CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 is just the 8 CAS predecessor to the C7/C6 Dominator GT CMG4GX3M2B1600C7 / C6?

A and B are revision information. There's no reason they wouldn't work in any dual channel platform regardless of version.

As soon as Corsair approves the FAQ I whipped up that tells you how to read the new part numbers it'll be posted.

Just got a heads up that BEMP is supposed to be just like XMP or or EPP/SLI Ready (sort of). Found some information on it here.

The way BEMP works is that AMD's Overdrive 3.0 will read the hex string of the memory part number from the SPD and cross-check with a dedicated server hosted by AMD for any profiles corresponding to the particular part number. If there is a match, the system will download the profile in XML format which is then read by AOD and allows updating of the memory settings "in software" which, in most cases, will require a reboot upon which the new frequency and timing parameters are loaded.

The profiles corresponding to any specific part numbers can be downloaded as XML feed from AMD's server. AOD also allows to import profiles in XML format from the hard disk.

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd_accelerates_award-2009apr23.aspx

AMD Black Edition Memory Profile lets users create custom profiles that can easily overclock known DDR3 memory to quickly and easily achieve optimum high speed DDR3 performance.

NOTE: AMD's product warranty does not cover damages caused by overclocking, even when enabled via AMD OverDrive software.

So basically all you should need is the right CPU and AMD's Overdrive software to use BEMP. Looks like if memory is BEMP capable (no idea), then it would be marked specially in the SPD and have a corresponding setting on AMD's servers.

• 1 month later...

I can't find any black edition memory profile update for Corsair 1600MHz DOMINATOR (CMD4GX3M2B1600C8)!

I'm running Windows 7 and have a AMD Phenom2 X4 955 Black edition CPU and a Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherbord (BIOS updated to v.0605) and AMD OverDrive v3.0.2.

Any I idees on whats wrong?

These memory are sold as AMD Black Edition Memory Profile compatible by most retailers.

Problem is when trying to download a AMD Black Edition Memory Profile in AMD OverDrive. I get error message "No new update available" when checking for a profile to download.

Actually RamGuy, I think Boldtar is asking whether or not Corsair has sent AMD the latest .xml profiles for this particular model of RAM, yet.

As B.E.M.P. means, "B.E.M.P. has its benefits and, unlike XMP (Intel’s memory profile), it is not placed in the chip's SPD, allowing the memory manufacturer the ability to change the profile at anytime, if they develop more enhanced settings. The major benefit of the B.E.M.P. is that the work of fine tuning your system's memory is done for you, with just a click of a button, after you download AMD Overdrive." (my emphasis in bold)

"B.E.M.P. stands for Black Edition Memory Profile and it is a profile (XML) for system memory that the memory’s manufacturer develops and uploads to AMD's master server, which contains a script, accessed through AMD Overdrive, to enhance the system performance of those who are using AMD Black Edition processors." (my emphasis in bold)

I'm posting because I am also looking into this Corsair model to go on my new MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard, though I do not know if it is compatible or if the extra $15 for the B.E.M.P. version of this RAM is "worth it" (especially if no Overdrive profiles are available yet).

Thanks for your time and consideration, Ramguy!

This is the response from AMD on my Black Edition Memory Profile problem:

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[xxxxxxxxx]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Although we provide Overdrive software we do not offer support or troubleshooting on the software. It is provided as is. 3.0.2 is the current version of the software and there are no updates past this version yet.

Any overclocking utility should be used by experienced users who are familiar with the settings of the BIOS including timings supported by the hardware in your system.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Is there a B.E.M.P or not for CMD4GX3M2B1600C8?

I also tried the OverDrive section at AMD forum but that place has less life the a cemetery. :mad:

I now email ASUS because I notice there is a option missing in my BIOS called 'DDR3 memory profile' in the manual.

Article about B.E.M.P: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2393&page=3

I can't get a strait answer from ASUS-support if the motherboard BIOS support BEMP or not. ASUS is saying that the reason for 'DDR3 memory profile' setting is not visible in my BIOS is because its disabled if supported hardware is not present.

Is the Corsair CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 a bad match for my ASUS motherboard?

Started to get a little frustrated a few days ago :(

Reference the support from Asus: I noticed Fry's Electronics has marked down the Asus M479T Deluxe to $129.00 here in Houston, TX. They also have put a colored (pink) covering where the normal one was. I asked the sales assoaiate and he stated in his experience Fry's always does this as a closeout process when they have learned a new board is coming. This same process happened with the AMD Gigabite board and MSI older models and sure enough the new boards appeared for sale witin 45 days. The Asus board was one of the first AMD 3 boards if not the first so perhaps this is why you cannot get the answers you are seeking.

rwg.

I have a Asus M4A79XTD EVO and is not the same as Asus M479T Deluxe.

The M4A79XTD EVO is only few weeks old on the market. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/825

ASUS is stonewalling my and refuses to give me any support or answer to any questions about there motherboard or BIOS.

They wont help me because CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 is not on there Memory Qualified Vendors List.

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM3/M4A79XTD_EVO/M4A79XTD_EVO_QVL.zip

• Corsair Employee

That part is BEMP Certified and the file has been uploaded to AMD's site. Uploaded August 12 2009.

You will not be able to enable this from the BIOS, you have to load Windows and install the application and once it checks what you have it will down load and set the profile from the application in Windows.

You miss understand me!

I can't download a AMD Black Edition Memory Profile in AMD OverDrive. I get error message "No new update available" when check for a profile to download.

But there is also a option to manually import xml files in AMD OverDrive.

Can you please post a copy of the xml for CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 file?

http://h.imagehost.org/t/0393/BEMP.jpg

The profile will only load if it detects that you have a black edition CPU and I would suggest contacting AMD and see what they suggest but at this time the file is not available for the general public.

As I mention before I have a black edition CPU and have already tried contacting AMD. See previous posts.

Could it be that the XML file in the AMD database is targeted for a specific version of CMD4GX3M2B1600C8? My CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 is marked v5.2.

Is that newest version or have I received a old version without BEMP support?

File not available for the general public? I just need some one to export ther file using AMD Overdrive then I can import the file in my system if some post it here at the forum. Can't be that hard, just a few mouse clicks?

File not available for the general public? I just need some one to export ther file using AMD Overdrive then I can import the file in my system if some post it here at the forum. Can't be that hard, just a few mouse clicks?

We have not clarified with AMD if we have the rights/permission to distribute the files from our resources. Until AMD clarifies this, the files are not available from Corsair.

AMD has the files. At this point, it is up to them to distribute them.

Archived