Corsair Community

CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 + Asus Sabertooth X79 No Post

JohnPapp

I just got my Asus sabertooth x79 motherboard from New Egg and put together a system with the i7-3820 cpu and 32 gigs of Corsair vengeance (4x8 ram) (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10). Corsair guarantees this ram in the sabertooth x79 motherboard.

When I power the motherboard the POST State "DRAM_LED" stays lighted and the system doesn't post. The manual says that when the DRAM_LED stays lighted continually it might indicate that the DIMMs are incompatible with the motherboard and may causing a system boot failure. The manual instructs to push the MemOK button to begin "automatic memory compatibility tuning for sucessful boot. When I do this the system stops and starts a few times and the DRAM_LED stays lighted and the system nevber posts.

I called Asus and they RMA'd the motherboard but the replacement board still does not post with the Corsair Ram. Tomorrow the New Egg replacement of the Corsair Ram arrives. Will it fix the problem? Was it a ram problem? Doesn't seem to be since I can't even get one ram bar to work. It would seem to be unlikely that all the bars are bad. Am I doing something wrong? I did not want to wait for Corsair to exchange my ram (two weeks) it was better to have New Egg overnight it to me. But it will be the same ram and I am paranoid that it might not work.

Post means Power On Self Test. I can't get the computer to post which means that it is stopping in its self tes. No video, no drives, no boot nothing but fans and a red light on the motherboard that according to Asus means there is a memory problem. When I contacted them they thought it was the memory "controller?" thingymajig in the mother board that was the problem but a new motherboard didn't fix it. So now I gather it must be the corsair ram I bought. But how could all of them be bad?

Sounds like there is a big problem with the Vengeance 4x8 rambars (C

32Gx3M4x1600C10) and the Asus Sabertooth x79 Motheboard. So much for being on the "bleeding edge". Where is the Ram Guy when we really need him?

New replacement set (32 gb 4x8gb) (CMZ32GX3M4x1600C10) just arrived overnighted from Newegg, you gotta love their service. Installed the replacement set and have the same problem. What to do now? I have replaced both the MBD and Ram and still the same problem...red mem light stays on and system won't post.

Hi guys, I had the same problem that you all report and I have just solved it (at least for me). So I wanted to quickly write to you all and share what I found out.

With the Sabertooth x79 motherboard it doesn't recognize the Corsair ram or most of the other normal brands of ram out of the box.

What you need to do is to go to asus homepage and download the latest Bios. Get it here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/SABERTOOTH_X79/#download

Now you download the newest version and put it on a USB stick in the root directory with nothing else on that USB stick.

Note: RENAME the file to "SABERX79.ROM".

Now put insert the USB stick in the back of your motherboard where it has a BIOS button. It has a white box circling the USB to insert it in.

All you need to have is the motherboard and the powersupply, nothing else is required (but its ok if you have it all hooked up).

Don't try to start the computer, just have the power cord hooked up. The green light on the motherboard lights up to show you have power.

Now all you do is press the BIOS button and hold it for 3 seconds or so. It will start to flash. Now you leave it to its business for some minutes until the blue flashy light on the BIOS button turns off.

Now you can take out the USB stick and turn on your computer. It will now recognize your Corsair ram and any other brand you may use.

Good luck guys! I hope it works for you too!

Thanks a million, dyrby76, it worked.

I called Asus tech support twice and returned 2 motherboards. I also returned a set of corsair ram after two calls to corsair tech support. Though I can't expect Corsair tech support to know about this USB stick trick.

So much for Asus phone tech support. I was even told by Asus tech support that I couldn't update the bios without the system posting. This trick is not in the user guide either. The Sabertooth x79 user guide says that to use "easy flash 2" you have to go into "the advanced mode of the setup program".

• Corsair Employee

That is something that ASUS built in their BIOS a few years back called Easy BIOS recovery; so I would expect it to work with any MB using the same BIOS kernel, but I am shocked that ASUS Tech support did not tell you that. or that you could even try that.

At any rate thanks to you both for sharing we will pass it on to our tech support for our information.

Now you download the newest version and put it on a USB stick in the root directory with nothing else on that USB stick.

Note: RENAME the file to "SABERX79.ROM".

Now put insert the USB stick in the back of your motherboard where it has a BIOS button. It has a white box circling the USB to insert it in.

All you need to have is the motherboard and the powersupply, nothing else is required (but its ok if you have it all hooked up).

Don't try to start the computer, just have the power cord hooked up. The green light on the motherboard lights up to show you have power.

Now all you do is press the BIOS button and hold it for 3 seconds or so. It will start to flash. Now you leave it to its business for some minutes until the blue flashy light on the BIOS button turns off.

Now you can take out the USB stick and turn on your computer. It will now recognize your Corsair ram and any other brand you may use.

Good luck guys! I hope it works for you too!

Quick note the USB stick needs to be formatted in FAT32.. :D

I just spend a good 45 minutes thinking it will soon be done until i figured that one out.. :D

• 3 weeks later...

My board is having this problem and I alerady put the latest BIOS on.

The DRAM error light will come on the first time I boot the system - you can then use the 'MemOK!' button which forces the speed and timings to be something different (in my case 800Mhz).

The system then asks you to save the settings in the BIOS and will boot. You can restart the computer and it will start up fine but once you have shut it down you will have to go through the whole process again.

I have tried the RAM (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10) in another machine and it worked though the machine is very basic and only ran it at 1333 instead of 1600. Memtest showed no errors in this alternate machine but always brings back some errors in the sabertooth machine.

I had contacted the store where I purchased the RAM and they told me to RMA it to them so they can test it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I don't think it is the RAM that is at fault and would rather avoid a bill from the store for them testing and finding no fault (though of course it could be faulty RAM).

I have tried the RAM (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10) in another machine and it worked though the machine is very basic and only ran it at 1333 instead of 1600. Memtest showed no errors in this alternate machine but always brings back some errors in the sabertooth machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I don't think it is the RAM that is at fault and would rather avoid a bill from the store for them testing and finding no fault (though of course it could be faulty RAM).

If it works fine in another machine, then it's not the memory. I would just call ASUS and have the MB RMA'd .

I would just call ASUS and have the MB RMA'd .

Can you get a board RMAd because one set of RAM does not work though? Sorry if my ignorance of these things is showing :/

Could it be that the motherboard is applying the wrong settings or something like that?

• Corsair Employee
Please use the other set and update the MB BIOS as that should solve the issue. If not then you can use the link on the left and request an RMA but if its the BIOS that is the issue replacing the modules will not solve the issue.

Hi,

I updated the BIOS first thing out the box to the latest version and am still experiencing the issue.

I purchased the RAM from a supplier other than Corsair, does that matter when it comes to the RMA? Never done one of these you see.

Archived