Corsair Community

680x + vertical GPU +360/240

Evigheten

Hi there!

I'm having a first go at building a custom loop after building PCs since the early 90s. Going for a corsair-build since it seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get a real performance gain in both noise and thermal performance. I also think it looks great. Doesn't hurt that I allready have the Corsair 680X case with a commander pro and a h100i platinum for my CPU. I actually built an EK-pack to see what that would set me back and it seems that will cost a bit more - and the performance probably won't really be any better. RGB seems to be better with Corsair, even if I do love those new D-RGB GPU-blocks from EK.

I initially wanted to do just a 360 rad and GPU block, but figured what the heck and went for both CPU and GPU in the initial order.

After watching a lot of youtube-clips of people building their systems, reading most of the relevant posts in this forum and asking the support-people at the shop where I'm ordering, I thought it would be wise to ask the people here as well if you have some input. The worst thing that could happen is that I have ordered the wrong parts or have a build in mind that simply won't work. Or could work better if I did a few things differently.

The system I have now:

680x

h100i platinum rgb

commander pro

MSI ventus OC 2080 ti

Ryzen 3700X

G.skill trident neo 2x16

Asus Crosshair Hero VIII

Fans: 3x LL120 front (inntake) + 2x LL120 bottom (inntake) + 1x LL120 back (exhaust) + 2x ML120 (on the 100i) exhaust.

I ordered:

CPU-block

GPU-block

Pump

1 x pack of 3M soft tubing (yeah, I'm going "easy")

3 x standard fitting packs

3 x packs of 90-degree tilt fittings

2 x 1L premade corsair clear fluid

1 x XR5 240 radiator

1 x XR5 360 radiator

1 x Asus Rog strix riser cable

The plan:

360rad front with fans facing glass doing exhaust

240 rad top with fans facing inside doing exhaust

2x LL120 doing inntake bottom

1x LL120 doing exhaust back

GPU mounted vertically

Pump in the main compartment mounted to the inside of 360 rad

Hoping to get it looking kinda like this (except all my stuff is black, black rads, black fans, black fittings): [ame=

]
[/ame]

Som things I'm unsure of:

Using the ML-fans from the h100i for the top 240 rad

Will this be enough to overclock both the CPU and GPU (nothing crazy, but decent OC)

Will I need more fan/RGB-controllers?

Are there any cables that I am missing for connecting stuff (GPU-block, fans, etc)?

Will the airflow in the case be good enough for the RAM, MB and M2-SSDs?

Will my PSU handle all this stuff (corsair RM850i)?

Am I going overboard with fittings?

This got way too long, and I probably missed some important stuff. Sorry about that. Any tips, concerns or comments are appreciated.

Hi,

since I'm on a similar build at the moment I already can say that 2 bottom fans will cause a problem with your 360 and 240er rad combo. There is not enough space for the rad inlet/outlet, even with the 90 degrees angled fittings this will not fit. You either can just install one fan on the bottom or try what I tried, see my post here -> https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=1032079#post1032079

To simply turn the front rad around and have the inlet/outlet on top will not work either since the top rad will then obstruct.

• Confused 1

I actually read your post a few minutes after you posted it and it got me thinking, I hadn't noticed this before I saw your post. After re-watching the video I linked it seems the guy who built the system in the video just moved the fans over a bit like you did. You can see it clearly at 6.33.

I'll probably do the same, and move the fans over a bit. They will be doing intake, and I would assume that some obstruction wouldn't do more harm than good - which might be the case with exhaust. I figure 70-80% airflow in from two fans is better than 100% from one. Also, I don't want to waste a perfectly good LL120-fan.

Thanks for making me aware of this! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I did it. Some hard earned experiences were made. I'm pretty happy with the result. Temps and OCs are higher by a few %, and the system is completely quiet when doing work and a tad louder than with Air and AIO-cooling when gaming. I think it looks better though.

49479995091_78b1e47f74_c_d.jpg

The two ML fans and three LL fans on the rads go all out when gaming, which I guess is normal?

My ryzen 3800x now averages 4300-4350 on all the cores used in Fallen Jedi, which seems to be a rough game to run for both CPU and GPU. The 2080 ti with galax bios stays pretty much rock solid at 2085-2100 and 350 mem. This card never got good memory overclock. I see most people get 900-1100. This card cant get better than 250-400 stable. I found that the thermal pads on the VRMs and mem on both sides were "watery". They actually leaked something. Removed the ones where the corsair-block had new ones, and just dried up and kept the ones on the back. Pretty sure I should have replaced em, but that would have meant waiting. So meh.

Temps stay around 45 and 36 idle for the CPU/GPU, and coolant stays around 36. thats when my little room goes to 25-26 ambient. Doing Fallen Jedi,which seems to tax everything a lot the GPU is quite solid at 55-56 and the CPU at 65-72, coolant around 42.

I wouldn't mind getting the fan speeds down for gaming, so if anyone has any tips that would be great.

Lot of great guides and tips on this forum helped me out a bunch, so thanks for that

Edited by Evigheten

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im pretty new to custom loop water cooling myself. I set my loop up about 2 weeks ago. Almost the same setup as yourself. Except im using a 360 Radiator and 420 Radiator.

In the system I have a 3950x that is OC to 4.325Ghz all core at 1.325v, and a ASUS ROG Strix 2080ti.

My CPU idle temp sits around 40c to 45c, and the GPU idles at 30c to 33c. Under Gaming Load, CPU wont go over 60c and the GPU wont go over 50c.

Only thing I can say that will lower your temps would be to change the loop order. From the looks of it, Im seeing:

Pump - Front Rad - GPU - CPU - Top Rad - Pump return.

I got mine setup as:

Pump - GPU - Top Rad - CPU - Front Rad - Pump Return.

Also, correct me if im wrong, you have both Radiators with fans set to Exhaust? That will create a lot of Negative Pressure. I hase my Front Rad as Intake, and my Top Rad as exhaust, with the rear fan also set to exhaust. Creating a nice breeze effect through the Chassis.

You can see from the pic the loop order, and yes.. there are many imperfect things. The car holding up the Video Card cause it sags so much, Im also taking the loop apart and redoing it this weekend. The soft Tube return is really not nice, and the reservoir is slanted. This will all be made better this weekend.

Hope this helps.

Dak

2.thumb.jpg.fdcc775db901f66d4eb634b5dc9cc5c3.jpg

Loop order usually does not matter. The most heat you can add into the coolant stream as it passes through a device is about 1-2C and the most you can dissipate through the radiator in one pass is 1-2C. It's a heat in vs heat out tug of war over a longer duration. Without getting into extremely odd hardware set-ups, the most you are going to hurt yourself by going GPU -> CPU directly is 2C. Routing, serviceability, access, and aesthetics all may be more important for most people.

You can sometimes eek out another 2C reduction in coolant temperature by using a radiator as an intake on the front or bottom of the case. The external air might be cooler. The bottom and front of the case are usually 2-3C cooler than the top. That is where the reduction comes from in most layouts. However, once you get into multi-radiator, single loop set-ups, the advantage is likely to be nullified. You probably will have a radiator up top, one way or another, and it will sit in a warmer zone. That heat is transferred into the system and becomes part of it. Most cases do not allow you to sensibly do multi-intake radiators without using the top. As for positive and negative pressure, that is a topic that has been slaughtered in streaming internet and most information has no value at all. Nobody is pressurizing air through their radiator by forcing more air intake. There is always a less restrictive airflow path that will be preferred and the entire concept only matters if you can't bump up your fans another 100 rpm and are straddling your thermal limit. Otherwise, there are several other considerations that may have more value in terms of performance or enjoyment.

Loop order usually does not matter. The most heat you can add into the coolant stream as it passes through a device is about 1-2C and the most you can dissipate through the radiator in one pass is 1-2C. It's a heat in vs heat out tug of war over a longer duration. Without getting into extremely odd hardware set-ups, the most you are going to hurt yourself by going GPU -> CPU directly is 2C. Routing, serviceability, access, and aesthetics all may be more important for most people.

You can sometimes eek out another 2C reduction in coolant temperature by using a radiator as an intake on the front or bottom of the case. The external air might be cooler. The bottom and front of the case are usually 2-3C cooler than the top. That is where the reduction comes from in most layouts. However, once you get into multi-radiator, single loop set-ups, the advantage is likely to be nullified. You probably will have a radiator up top, one way or another, and it will sit in a warmer zone. That heat is transferred into the system and becomes part of it. Most cases do not allow you to sensibly do multi-intake radiators without using the top. As for positive and negative pressure, that is a topic that has been slaughtered in streaming internet and most information has no value at all. Nobody is pressurizing air through their radiator by forcing more air intake. There is always a less restrictive airflow path that will be preferred and the entire concept only matters if you can't bump up your fans another 100 rpm and are straddling your thermal limit. Otherwise, there are several other considerations that may have more value in terms of performance or enjoyment.

See.. told you I was new at this.