Corsair Community

Another 680x/8 LL120 configuration thread

gillbell

Hello all,

I've haven't built a PC in this brave new age of RGB everything. My brain is really hurting trying to figure out the proper configuration. I could really use some advice and encourage you to treat me like I'm an idiot and dumb it down.

I have the 680x case. It comes with an RGB hub and a Lighting Node Pro. It has 3x LL120 at the front attached to a third party rad, 2x LL120 at the bottom, 1x LL120 at the rear and 2x LL120 at the top. I also have a Commander Pro.

Motherboard is Crosshair VIII if that matters.

I do not want to do anything crazy with the RGB. I basically just want them to all do the same thing.

What is the most efficient way to get these fans up and running?

I really appreciate your time. Thank you for any help you can provide.

You are going to need 1 more RGB Lighting Hub, unless you have a 2nd around. The normal cost is about $10 (USD) plus shipping. Corsair sells them, but they are hard to come by. Watch out for extreme 3rd party mark-ups. I see them listed for $40-50 now and then.

That will let you get all 8 fans in play. The per hub limit is 6 RGB fans per channel. This comes up a lot on the 740 Air/680x build because everyone has 8 fans. You will need to break them into two groups. I've done it a number of ways, but most people will be better off doing 6+2 with the 2 group being the top 2 or bottom 2 fans. Each group will act like a separate lighting set. There are some 3rd party RGB fan splitters that will effectively "double" one of the RGB fans. You could in theory make the top and bottom each act like a pair, but this isn't going to be cheaper than the hub and may not be what you want anyway.

Since the Commander has 2 RGB channels, it can take both RGB hubs and you won't need the LNP at this time.

Fan power/speed control is more straight forward. You will be able to use standard PWM splitters to pair off the 8 fans among the 6 control headers on the Commander. Stay away from triple splitters. It's both a little too close to the current limit and also tends to be problematic from a control standpoint.