Corsair Community

How much power is too much for a single Sata power cable?

NadeMagnet

Made up this diagram mostly to try my hand at the Gimp editor. Never used photoshop or the like before so I wanted to try a free program to practice. So I made up a diagram of how I have I have my RGB set up with ICUE. But after finishing, it dawned on me to wonder what is too much power to be safely and long term running through a single sata cable. So I hope one of you can tell me if this setup is OK.

https://imgur.com/a/qKsfQKv

the cable, i'm not sure, but for one SATA socket, the maximum current is 4.5A per rail that's 22.5W for 5V (A-RGB).

If you know the specs of your lighting goodies, it could help to know if you're close to that.

That LNP with two 42 led strips may draw some hefty current on full white, full brightness, but in this worst case scenario you'll probably have more issues with LEDs flickering or dropping colors from overheating :)

The thing is I use to run that entire setup off that splitter box minus the infinity mirror and corsair strips. I don't know total amounts but when planning it out beforehand to see how much each of the headers on that box could handle, i found out from the seller it's 5 amps per header. The 6 Airgoo strips daisy chained to a header and the 6 fan frames daisy chained to a header were well below 5 amps. I don't know about watts. But I didn't have any issues of flickering nor would that box or any of the wires get hot.

Watts = Voltage * Amperes

And 5 amps per header? How is it getting power? If that box is connected to a single SATA connector, the limit is 4.5A for the header. That's the SATA spec. Your seller would, one would hope, know and understand this. If you pull 5A per header and you have a couple of headers on the box ... well, you're going to have something melt. Or catch fire. Hopefully melt though. And when melting is the best-case scenario that you hope for, that's not a very good sign at all.

Exceed the limits on SATA at your own peril. I've seen people do it. The results are not pretty.

The seller is suppose to work for the manufacturer. But being that he was obviously Chinese, or at least Asian, there was a bit of a language barrier going on. Either way though it's a moot point for at least that splitter box since I've now removed so much from it and passed them off to the lighting node pros. 4.5 or 5, I was running it all off that splitter box for roughly 10 hours a day for 2 months. If it had been a problem shouldn't have something happened in all that time?

Well, you weren't pulling 5A per header. 5A is a lot of LEDs and you probably weren't even close to that. Also, if you did anything except straight white, they will pull less power.

Most of the RGB hubs that I've seen have at least 6 headers. At 5A per header, that's a total of 30A. Most PSUs don't even support 30A of 5V power. That's what I was getting at. Not that you were actually pulling that much power.

How I use to have it was 2 fan frames and 2 LED strips daisy chained off 1 header which is 102 LED. 4 strips daisy chained which was 84 on another header. 4 fan frames which is 120 LED on another header. Pacific R1 is 36 LED on a header. So in total that box was powering 342 LED and was powered off a sata cable.

I had tried white and it all lit fine, but didn't leave it on white for long. It was mostly running Polychrome's rainbow.

Something I hadn't considered until now. I wonder how much power the motherboard's ARGB header added to the mix.