Corsair Community

Need to fix Carbide 500r I/O Front Panel USB Ports -- Can a 300r panel do the job?

ficas

I want to fix the front I/O panel of my Corsair Carbide 500r Case.

I managed to damage one of my front USB 3 ports with a bad USB drive. This case is pretty old and the parts are hard to find. I spent at least an hour looking around the Internet, even internationally, and I'm not finding the part.

I did manage to find a panel for a 300r case.

Someone here recommended swapping out the USB ports from a 400r I/O panel:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=185855

Can this be done with a 300r I/O panel?

I have a really good set of 10 different tweezers and I can't get a grip on the bent pins. I tried for about a half an hour, went to bed and woke up this morning for another round. No dice. I think that port is toast.

• 2 months later...

The USB cable from the 550D front I/O panel works, but I'm not sure about the one from the 300R. This seems to have been a widely known issue with Corsair's cases from around 2011/2012. In fact there are thousands of replacement front I/O panel kits available in warehouses, but seemingly only one seller that is bothering to try to sell them (on ebay).

Do let us know if the cable from the 300R works, as it is getting difficult to find I/O panel replacements these days.

I used the 550D front I/O panel. I had to take it apart but it wasn't all that hard. It was harder to plug the new cable back into my motherboard since I hadn't messed around with it in a while. I just took my time and was careful.

Everything is working fine now. Mission accomplished!

• Confused 1