Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2020, 09:49 AM
QuorthonRhar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1057500
QuorthonRhar Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
Hello QuorthonRhar,

Looking at your prior screenshots your XMP/DOCP DRAM voltage was 1.4v so you will likely need to apply that same voltage. Make sure you adjust the correct voltage parameter or you may damage your CPU.

When you fully populate your slots it will increase load on the memory controller. On Ryzen 2000 systems this typically reduces the frequency. The same concept applies to Ryzen 1000 systems as well. I found a forum link here that illiterates the point.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=167640

I think the landscape has changed a bit over the course of AGESA updates that have improved memory compatibility but keep in mind, at least originally for 1000 series processor, running DDR4-3000 is a memory overclock (where DDR4-2667 was the max spec).

So basically set your voltage and increment your frequency up. If you can get to DDR4-2667 the you reached your CPU spec. Anything higher then that is a plus.
Thank you for your reply, I just noticed there was a reply. Sorry about that.

Yes, something is definitely weird. I just checked this old thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-DRAM-Voltage

...and even though I am on BIOS 5603 now, I still don't see any difference. When I go to BIOS, DRAM voltage still shows 1.200V, and the option where I am supposed to change it... I can't. It shows 1.400V and the letters are all in pink color. Like pre-set or something... so I save and exit, but once I am back to BIOS, it still shows 1.200V

I am just trying DDR4-2666MHz as frequency right now. If I don't use AI Overclock Tuner (D.O.C.P option not enabled), default memory frequency goes down to DDR4-2133MHz. With that, of course, everything works perfectly fine and super stable.

I am aware most likely difference between 2133MHz, and 2666MHz is not that huge anyway, so why bother? But, I am interested to learn if it's even possible to get these Corsair 32Gb (4x8 sticks) to work with anything else over default DDR4-2133MHz. Not even trying to get it to go up to DDR4-3000MHz anymore.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Spoken too soon... BIOS actually shows updated DRAM voltage after the reboot and going back to BIOS again. Now, it shows 1.400V. I keep the frequency at DDR4-2666MHz, and will keep testing it for few days (or hours in case it starts getting unstable). So far, all looks good, but I have to throw some test rendering jobs at it, to see if it's going to have some hick-ups :)

This is how it looks like now in my BIOS:

Last edited by QuorthonRhar; 08-13-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:44 PM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1057572
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuorthonRhar View Post
Thank you for your reply, I just noticed there was a reply. Sorry about that.

Yes, something is definitely weird. I just checked this old thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...e-DRAM-Voltage

...and even though I am on BIOS 5603 now, I still don't see any difference. When I go to BIOS, DRAM voltage still shows 1.200V, and the option where I am supposed to change it... I can't. It shows 1.400V and the letters are all in pink color. Like pre-set or something... so I save and exit, but once I am back to BIOS, it still shows 1.200V

I am just trying DDR4-2666MHz as frequency right now. If I don't use AI Overclock Tuner (D.O.C.P option not enabled), default memory frequency goes down to DDR4-2133MHz. With that, of course, everything works perfectly fine and super stable.

I am aware most likely difference between 2133MHz, and 2666MHz is not that huge anyway, so why bother? But, I am interested to learn if it's even possible to get these Corsair 32Gb (4x8 sticks) to work with anything else over default DDR4-2133MHz. Not even trying to get it to go up to DDR4-3000MHz anymore.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Spoken too soon... BIOS actually shows updated DRAM voltage after the reboot and going back to BIOS again. Now, it shows 1.400V. I keep the frequency at DDR4-2666MHz, and will keep testing it for few days (or hours in case it starts getting unstable). So far, all looks good, but I have to throw some test rendering jobs at it, to see if it's going to have some hick-ups :)

This is how it looks like now in my BIOS:

Wow this thread was pretty old. I almost couldn't believe my prior comment about your DRAM voltage being 1.4v when I was rereading this thread. I see now you had posted a picture of your ram and its supposed to run at 1.36v. Maybe your motherboard knows better in this case.

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 08-13-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:02 AM
QuorthonRhar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1057592
QuorthonRhar Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
Wow this thread was pretty old. I almost couldn't believe my prior comment about your DRAM voltage being 1.4v when I was rereading this thread. I see now you had posted a picture of your ram and its supposed to run at 1.36v. Maybe your motherboard knows better in this case.
Thank you so much for your reply, greatly appreciated.

I have to admit, you lost me there for a moment... would you say this 1.400V that motherboard automatically set for me is OK then? That value changed from 1.200V automatically to 1.400V when I switched frequency from DDR4-2133MHz to DDR4-2666MHz. Value of 1.400V was pink (meaning it was automatically set for me) and I am not able to change that myself.

Is it still OK if I run it a that voltage (1.400) or could this pose some risk?

Thank you again!

Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 PM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1057772
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuorthonRhar View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, greatly appreciated.

I have to admit, you lost me there for a moment... would you say this 1.400V that motherboard automatically set for me is OK then? That value changed from 1.200V automatically to 1.400V when I switched frequency from DDR4-2133MHz to DDR4-2666MHz. Value of 1.400V was pink (meaning it was automatically set for me) and I am not able to change that myself.

Is it still OK if I run it a that voltage (1.400) or could this pose some risk?

Thank you again!
I'm not an expert but I think it depends on your RAM tolerance for it. You would probably need to lookup your rams's IC spec sheets to know for sure.

I remember reading somewhere keep it under 1.5v and more isn't always better. Just because it says 1.4v in the BIOS doesn't always mean that's what your getting. You might be able to use DRAM Calculator for Ryzen to see what the recommended voltages are based on that tools recommendations.

Not too familiar with the workings of that BIOS but I think it's likely pink in your BIOS because it's a high voltage warning. I guess you will have to trust that your motherboards D.O.C.P knows what it is doing.

Tags
am4, amd, rog strix b350-f, ryzen, ryzen 5 1600