Corsair Community

Why not flat-pack cases?

solarity

Shipping and storing can add cost and logistics for such large items. Instead of riveting, why not just provide screws and lock nuts? I consider PC builders to be more handy than most other people, I don't think it would be asking much. Plus it is "greener", for those people who care. Not to mention make Corsair cases extremely competitive in value.

IKEA does a lot of flat packing and I think it is ingenious, I bought a whole kitchen that was flat packed, It is a lot better quality and cost less than fully assembled cabinets that I get at my local home and garden center. I also was able to fit everything in my midsize SUV and a small u-haul trailer.

Good question.

I think about weight of screws & nuts vs. rivets...

..and how many panels,etc., that QC tosses out due to improper fit that might be passed along to customers with the subsequent problems...

Lets see some more possible problems with the "Flat pack" idea here!

I would like it, as it would allow me to paint and mod stuff easier (and would tempt me to do it).

I currently have the Carbide 100R Silent and like it a lot... ut i did find a place where i wanted a nut & bolt setup for routing some fan cables :D

(see attached pic)

I remember "back in the day" drilling out most of the rivets in an old case to mod it with fans, and cut out access to remove hard drives, etc etc ... and making a hole in the top for my old original Corsair H60 ! :)

I still am using that H60 fan as a case intake on another computer :)

IMG_20180625_225725292_LL.thumb.jpg.199bf8b23cf7d34a95c91823c95ebc96.jpg

IMG_20180625_225605739_LL.thumb.jpg.79014a1f1d3e25466a8455ed726d33c7.jpg

Good question.

I think about weight of screws & nuts vs. rivets...

..and how many panels,etc., that QC tosses out due to improper fit that might be passed along to customers with the subsequent problems...

Lets see some more possible problems with the "Flat pack" idea here!

I would like it, as it would allow me to paint and mod stuff easier (and would tempt me to do it).

I currently have the Carbide 100R Silent and like it a lot... ut i did find a place where i wanted a nut & bolt setup for routing some fan cables :D

(see attached pic)

I remember "back in the day" drilling out most of the rivets in an old case to mod it with fans, and cut out access to remove hard drives, etc etc ... and making a hole in the top for my old original Corsair H60 ! :)

I still am using that H60 fan as a case intake on another computer :)

Screws and nuts aren't going to add that much weight over rivets. They can always test for alignment with some type of jig or test. Most of a PC is disassembled when it gets to us and we put it together. I have never seen a fan, radiator, motherboard mounting holes not line up.

This wouldn't be for every case, though I think it would be great for the enthusiasts. The thing I liked about IKEA is that everything was modular. The cabinet boxes where just a 5 sided box and you would add modular panels to it; like the doors, side panels, trim, and etc. They had only a couple of different cabinet box colors, though they had a lot of different styles and colors for the modular panels. Someone with a white kitchen, can have the same SKU cabinet boxes as my Cherry finished kitchen. Everything was flat packed and separate as it was modular. It is kind of cool you can get one type of box cabinet and put 1 drawer + 2 cabinet doors, 4 large drawers, or 3 small drawers w/ 2 larger drawers. This is how cases should be! Wouldn't it be cool if you could customize the size of your case and get different panels. Then just buy all the fans and controllers you want at some type of packaged discount, instead of collecting redundant items.

The only issue is I had to drive 6 hours to get it, though it was a lot more worth it in value and quality than buying it from Lowes or Home Depot.

Archived