Corsair Community

150i Elite Capellix Pump speed 2.2k RPM on quiet mode.

Lytic

So I bought this on Monday and installed since then I have heard this humming sound coming from my PC. Ive stopped all my fans and realised it was the pump. I checked in ICUE and realised it was running at 2.2k RPM in quiet mode. if I change it to balanced, 2.4k and Extreme 2.6k. Is this a bug in ICUE or have I installed the cooler wrong?

ICUE is on the latest version and so too is the firmware for the cooler. I have 9 fans connected via commander pro, commander core and node core. The commander core and commander pro are both plugged into my mobo.

Any ideas or have I got a faulty cooler?

I upgraded from H150i pro to the 150i Elite Capellix 360mm today.

I was disappointed that the pump would not go lower than 2.2k RPM.

The H150I pro had 1100 rpm mode which was silent. with combination of 4 LL fans, 3 ML fans and 3 QL fans, it was dead silent.

I am debating whether to go back H150i Pro which was silent at 1100 RPM pump speed.

This humming noise is driving me nuts from the Coolit pump. It really is a weird design. only 200 RPM difference between each profile. what is the Point?

Lastly there is no performance difference between the two models.

H150i Pro RGB Pump = asetek

Elite Line = Coolit

I should have done more research before buying the elite.

It looks like others have complained about the platinum line of corsair AIOs which also use coolit brand of pump.

Corsair resolved the issues with a firmware update to make the quite profile go under 2000 rpm for the pump.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182257&page=3

Can we please get a firmware update for the elite lines to have the quiet pump rpm to go under 2000.

I really like the how the elite looks over my old H150i pro but there is no reason why it should run at 2200+ rpm at quiet profile, it is just excessive.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hi all,

I bought the H150! Elite Capelix WC and works great ! i bought 3 LL120 too to put at the front of the PC.

BUT, there is a Huge issue with that WC, the PUMP noise :(

How such a brand as corsair still hasn't release a firmware to fix that issue like they did with the PRO version ? i don't understand this.

this PUMP turns constantly at 2.238 rpm in quiet mode. the only thing i ear in my pc is that PUMP :(

Please Corsair, fix that issue with an update FW.

thank you.

Edited by aprouzos

• Corsair Employee

There's not going to be any update to let you reduce the speed below 2300 RPM. The pump needs a certain amount of flow to keep the impeller floating, if it dips too low it starts making noise and you'd see reduced reliability.

What I would suggest is making sure the mounting screws on the socket are turned completely and not loose. If it's loose you get some resonance.

Take a screwdriver and just turn the thumbnut with minimal force, don't torque it or force it when the screw stops. If it is already all the way tight, you can try to back the screw off slightly to see if it changes anything with that resonant sound.

Lastly, if you still have this problem contact our support for a replacement. It shouldn't be this loud. Attach your receipt/invoice if you submit the ticket and they'll help you pretty quickly.

There's not going to be any update to let you reduce the speed below 2300 RPM. The pump needs a certain amount of flow to keep the impeller floating, if it dips too low it starts making noise and you'd see reduced reliability.

What I would suggest is making sure the mounting screws on the socket are turned completely and not loose. If it's loose you get some resonance.

Take a screwdriver and just turn the thumbnut with minimal force, don't torque it or force it when the screw stops. If it is already all the way tight, you can try to back the screw off slightly to see if it changes anything with that resonant sound.

Lastly, if you still have this problem contact our support for a replacement. It shouldn't be this loud. Attach your receipt/invoice if you submit the ticket and they'll help you pretty quickly.

Hi Johan,

thank you very much for your proposal. i'll try what you said and if no success, i would like indeed to swap it with an another corsair AIO.

have a nice week end

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, Corsair Johan said:

That looks like a poor argument, considering that Corsair already provided a firmware update for the Platinum series, which effectively reduced the pump speed below 2000 RPM. It took only 2 thread pages in your forum to achieve that result.

However, the Elite Capellix pump speed complaints thread has now 19 pages and counting, and people are still waiting for Corsair to finally give in to their LEGITIMATE demands.

So Corsair says that "it may affect reliability". I don't buy it, but that's not important. Because even if it did, we just want Corsair to let us do it AT OUR OWN RISK, instead of treating us like CHILDREN! We have paid for our AIOs, and we should be able to use them as we want. Even break them if we want to. That is OUR problem Corsair, not yours!

You may think that your AIO customers are dumb enough to believe that going from 23xx to 19xx in a pump will harm the AIO in any way "because the impelling needs to float, etc". Well, some are probably dumb enough to believe it. I'm not. But what do I know, I'm only an engineer.

You know what's even dumber ? Not understanding that going from 19xx to 23xx can actually make a huge difference in terms of noise because of resonances. Do the math instead of telling your customers to just tighten the screws. It's easy: the formula is here , the first critical speed is indeed about 2400 RPM (theoretically of course), and it has nothing to do with "tightening the screws". Maybe then you can explain how it can possibly make sense to have a "Quiet mode" so close to the first critical speed. Good job !

Other AIO manufacturers not only allow users to go way below 2000 RPM. They even allow users to make their own pump speed curves. Asus and BeQuiet! come to mind.

1704913493_Screenshot2020-10-13213920.thumb.png.fcb2767e73295271b0b5a5c7eec5ed6e.png.71e211fa6d37d2b78a31275d5eb612ad.png

Meanwhile, Corsair thinks that their AIO customers will be happy with only 3 non-modifiable pump speed presets, and the inability to automatically adjust pump speed to temperature. All that from the buggy and outdated iCUE software of course. Who was the mastermind behind that brilliant concept? I hope he got a promotion! 🤣

Way to go Corsair. I'd say "you just lost a customer", but the truth is "you already lost a ton of them".

PS : I will gladly say "sorry about the ranting" the day that Corsair effectively does something to improve things here.

• Like 1

Well, nice rant but Corsair most likely doesn't have much leverage on what Coolit specifies for the AIO core they manufacture for them 😛

The older AIOs that used to spin slower were from Asetek. very different impeller design.

If the OEM says don't spin the impeller below 2200 RPM, that's what they will implement as slowest speed. That kind of makes it useless to have any speed control on the pump actually. A 200 rpm variation between quiet and extreme is .. useless.

I guess the numerous complaints of noisy Elite AIOs could help for the next generation, making whatever OEM they chose to focus a bit more on quiet operation for devices that are supposed to be used at home, and not in a datacenter.