Corsair Community

H115i Pro XT Questions

Spartan0536

Hello peoples,

For the last 5 years I have been using an H80i V2 CPU cooler with my FX-8350, prior to that I was using a Zalmann CNPS9900ALED air cooler. I love the H80i V2, it's been one hell of a beast and I like the Corsair software, best in the industry for coolers IMHO.

I am now upgrading my incredibly old and completely obsolete system to a 3800X paired with a Crosshair VIII Hero and a Seasonic Prime PX-1000.

I have been considering a few coolers for this build one being the new H115i Pro XT, another being the EVGA CLC280, and the last being the NZXT Kracken X62 (280mm).

I WAS pretty well sold on the 115i Pro XT initially until the reviews started coming in on Amazon and Newegg and they are NOT pretty. Most people are complaining about the screw holes not being threaded, which is a pretty annoying issue.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else here has had this issue as well, what are your thoughts/experiences with the H115i Pro XT, and what your thoughts on the other coolers and their proprietary software?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to the feedback.

Additional Info: No matter the cooler, I will be replacing the stock fans with Noctua iPPC 2000 IP67 PWM fans as they are quieter, move more air at lower speeds, and are completely dust ingress proof (this means no dust in the motor/bearings) with an amazing 6 year warranty.

Edited by Spartan0536
Additional Information

Radiator holes not properly threaded? I really hope those people are not trying to force #8 case screws into a radiator. Corsair AIO radiators use 6-32 machine screws and those will be in the box.

You are welcome to use whatever fans you want, but the Noctua Industrials will not move more air or have less noise or pretty much anything else. The fans in this class at the 140mm size are remarkable similar in most performance metrics. If you want to get into the acoustic quality, the Noctua have a slightly higher pitch whir and the ML140 a slightly lower and coarser tone, but that is going to be a very user specific preference. Take a look at the graphs toward the bottom. Of note, the Vardar do not react well on the Corsair controllers and are not recommended. The 3000 rpm version of the A14i and NF-F12i are also not recommended (or needed).

Radiator holes not properly threaded? I really hope those people are not trying to force #8 case screws into a radiator. Corsair AIO radiators use 6-32 machine screws and those will be in the box.

You are welcome to use whatever fans you want, but the Noctua Industrials will not move more air or have less noise or pretty much anything else. The fans in this class at the 140mm size are remarkable similar in most performance metrics. If you want to get into the acoustic quality, the Noctua have a slightly higher pitch whir and the ML140 a slightly lower and coarser tone, but that is going to be a very user specific preference. Take a look at the graphs toward the bottom. Of note, the Vardar do not react well on the Corsair controllers and are not recommended. The 3000 rpm version of the A14i and NF-F12i are also not recommended (or needed).

I did not want to go with the iPPC 3000's due to the amperage pull and there is a PNR in terms of performance through a radiator fin stack, based on fin density & thickness, for a 30mm thick radiator with a high density fin stack (like the H115i) that number tends to be around 4.5mm H20 from what I have read on other websites.

As for the screws, a few people specifically state they are using the supplied fan machined screws and the screw mounts were not pre-tapped.

Max current on the 3000 A14i does require more care and things like a 850 min run speed catch people off guard. Besides, it only offers more if you are willing to run it in the 2300-3000 rpm zone and that is a more than a bit of noise.

On that same note, don’t get sucked into static pressure metrics debacle. The value supplied is the amount of negative pressure required to reduce a fan’s speed to zero rpm from its maximum speed. That makes the number almost entirely max speed dependent. A completely inappropriate 40x40x40mm fan for small heat sinks will have a gaudy 4.xx mm H2O at 4000 rpm, but only move about 10 cfm of air. A Noctua A14 industrial 3000 rpm fan will have a rating of just over 1mm H2O at the 1000 rpm where you spend most of your time. That doesn’t mean you want the 40mm fan and it doesn’t make the A14 a poor performer. Static pressure is a rough indicator of radiator suitability, but it’s value diminishes as speeds increase and ultimately its air through the radiator that matters. That metric is graphed between the several popular choices in that link. I own all of those and about 30 more. Performance differences are slight to non-existent, so pick the fan you like in terms of aesthetics, sound, or really any other quality.

Max current on the 3000 A14i does require more care and things like a 850 min run speed catch people off guard. Besides, it only offers more if you are willing to run it in the 2300-3000 rpm zone and that is a more than a bit of noise.

On that same note, don’t get sucked into static pressure metrics debacle. The value supplied is the amount of negative pressure required to reduce a fan’s speed to zero rpm from its maximum speed. That makes the number almost entirely max speed dependent. A completely inappropriate 40x40x40mm fan for small heat sinks will have a gaudy 4.xx mm H2O at 4000 rpm, but only move about 10 cfm of air. A Noctua A14 industrial 3000 rpm fan will have a rating of just over 1mm H2O at the 1000 rpm where you spend most of your time. That doesn’t mean you want the 40mm fan and it doesn’t make the A14 a poor performer. Static pressure is a rough indicator of radiator suitability, but it’s value diminishes as speeds increase and ultimately its air through the radiator that matters. That metric is graphed between the several popular choices in that link. I own all of those and about 30 more. Performance differences are slight to non-existent, so pick the fan you like in terms of aesthetics, sound, or really any other quality.

I was looking at that ThermalBench website, and it seems like the Noiseblocker eLoop fans are really good, like they beat Noctua fans completely. What are your personal thoughts on those and will they have issues like Vardar fans from EKWB on Corsair products?

I have 12-15 of them in 120 and 140mm sizes. I do like them and they are a good blend of performance and sound. However, there are a few sticking points. The 120mm are terrible in pull. The unique blade sticks out from the front of the frame by 1-2mm. You will get quite a bit of buzz (or worse) if you have anything close to the fan inlet. The 140mm version is 29mm thick. That is good for radiators (and static pressure) but is non-standard. Also note the frame has a very slight curve to it. If your are really tight on space around the frame, it could be an issue. There are no control issues with either, PWM or DC.

I have 12-15 of them in 120 and 140mm sizes. I do like them and they are a good blend of performance and sound. However, there are a few sticking points. The 120mm are terrible in pull. The unique blade sticks out from the front of the frame by 1-2mm. You will get quite a bit of buzz (or worse) if you have anything close to the fan inlet. The 140mm version is 29mm thick. That is good for radiators (and static pressure) but is non-standard. Also note the frame has a very slight curve to it. If your are really tight on space around the frame, it could be an issue. There are no control issues with either, PWM or DC.

You sir are an awesome source of information, haz more points (not sure if this is like "Whose Line Is It Anyway" though :P )

I would be going with the 140mm fans as I am pretty well sold on a 280mm AIO. It would be front mounted to a Phanteks Enthoo Evolve X, of course with the hoses bottom mounted.