Corsair Community

HX620 making odd sounds

Nexworks

Slowly rebuilding my system. Moved it to an Antec P180 case and paired it with a Corsair HX620 power supply. I keep hearing a buzzing sound, and its intermittent. First I ignored it. Then it started to irritate me so I did some discovery work and noticed it happens when there is no HD activity. Digging further I noticed that its actually coming from the PSU itself and not the HD. Ive taken the PSU outside of the case and used the side door to muffle the rest of the PC sounds, and its 100% from the PSU.

It sounds like a hissing sound. High pitch. I can make it go away by inducing HD activity. Tried different cables on different ports. All do the same thing. My issue is similar, if not identical, to what was mentioned in http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54806 . Is this thing faulty? Any way to fix it myself?

• Corsair Employee
Slowly rebuilding my system. Moved it to an Antec P180 case and paired it with a Corsair HX620 power supply. I keep hearing a buzzing sound, and its intermittent. First I ignored it. Then it started to irritate me so I did some discovery work and noticed it happens when there is no HD activity. Digging further I noticed that its actually coming from the PSU itself and not the HD. Ive taken the PSU outside of the case and used the side door to muffle the rest of the PC sounds, and its 100% from the PSU.

It sounds like a hissing sound. High pitch. I can make it go away by inducing HD activity. Tried different cables on different ports. All do the same thing. My issue is similar, if not identical, to what was mentioned in http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54806 . Is this thing faulty? Any way to fix it myself?

It sounds like there is not a significant load on the PSU. A very small percentage of units make this noise when there is a very, very light load on the +12V rail. There are two options: add more devices to the PSU (fans, hard drives, video cards, something like that) to increase the load, or RMA the PSU and we'll get you a new one.

Well, in about a week im going to throw an overclocked C2D on it, along with a 8800 GTS and a second 250GB HD. If that doesnt put enough strain on it... ;)

Btw, should I need to RMA it, does Corsair support advanced rma whereby I can provide you with CC details and receive a replacement before I send back my current unit? I cant be stuck without a PSU.

Archived