Corsair Community

Question regarding CMT64GX4M4K3600C16

Ticaliano

Hey guys, just putting the finishing touches on my AMD Ryzen 3000 build. My question is will this kit work as advertised with an Aorus X570 motherboard and a Ryzen 5 3600X (the 3600X is just temporary until the 3950x releases in November.)

I mean, for a nearly $1,000.00 kit of RAM, my hope is that it'll run at its rated speeds (3600MHz, CL16), but I still feel a little confused with this X570 chipset and the talk surrounding AMD's Infinity Fabric.

Thanks for any help or insight you can share. :)

Thanks for the reply, Seegee911. Do you think you're able to run it with those timings and that speed because you're using 4 x8GB kit and not 4 x16GB?

I had a friend on another forum write this to me (just not sure how accurate he is):

If you get that much RAM you will be sacrificing a lot of speed. No processors on the market, not even my awesome 9900k, my superb 8086k or my lovely 2700X, can drive 64GB at 3600MHz. You will not get the rated 3600 speeds out of that kit - my guess is you will top out at 2400MHz at best.

The Aorus manual doesn't publish a memory table, which makes me suspicious of Gigabyte at the best - not to mention, their manual calls it "installing a memory" - but looking at the ROG manuals instead, you can see what I'm talking about.

You would be far better offer getting a 32GB 3600MHz kit, especially since memory performance is so important for gaming these days. The issue is that the motherboard cannot drive memory that fast while also keeping it refreshed, so you will be stuck at a ceiling somewhere much slower than you'd like. You'll feel it.

Is that correct?

While it is true, you can usually squeeze slightly higher overclock using 2 sticks instead of 4, the fact of the matter is that the 'usability' added by that much ram far outweighs any benefit you might get from the extra 0.05% in speed.

I'm using the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB [CMT32GX4M4C3200C16] which are a Micron E-die I believe. They have stock settings of 3200@c16-18-18, and I'm running 4 sticks at 3600@c16-19-16 with zero problems.

The new Ryzen chips have none of the issues with ram timings the previous gen have. 3600 is a pretty sweet spot, because once you start getting much faster, you have to unlink the fclock from the memory clock, and your latency increases considerably. It is best to keep your mem clock and fclock 1:1.

The difference from 2 to 4 sticks might be worth worrying about, but honestly i'm getting much better overall use of the machine with the extra ram.