Corsair Community

Ryzen 9 temperature differences at full load

JohnHind

Ryzen 9 3900X, HydroX 35- 40c water temperature.

Unloaded:

Load reported by iCUE - 1%; Package Temperature - 52c

Loading with Prime95:

Load reported by iCUE - 100%; Package Temperature - 63c

Loading with Folding@home:

Load reported by iCUE - 95%; Package Temperature - 84c

This huge temperature difference under approximately the same load seems insane and the higher figure is a little disappointing for such high-end cooling. However there is no thermal throttling in either case' so that at least is encouraging.

Anyone else seeing similar results?

Edited by JohnHind

• Corsair Employee

Hi!

The new Ryzen CPUs utilizes improved cooling for better boost speeds. Together with the 7nm process, it's normal to observe higher load temperatures.

The observed temperature difference of ~44c between the CPU package temperature and water/coolant temperature is in line with the internal testing results performed by the Hydro X team.

I'm not fully sure everything that FAH does but it does generate a LOT of heat - at least from what I've seen running it on both AMD and Intel chips. It could be that the edition of Prime95 isn't using AVX extensions and FAH is?

FAH increases my 3900X temps as well. It of course will also increase my coolant temps in my AIO. FAH after maybe 30 minutes settles in around 84-85C on my system. P95 temps are lower with the standard tests. If I do a custom and put 128K in the min and max FFT. Then it will run higher and into the 80's. Small FFT will not get that hot and Blend keep it around 75C. My coolant temps run around 24.5C in normal use and will increase to around 30 after loading for a few hours of FAH. Room temp is around 20-22C. I have a H115i Plat AIO setup in a push/pull config and set with aggressive fan curves that after CPU temp hits 65C the fans are at 100%.

Thanks everyone - seems that the load measurement is not very good (it is not just that it is non-linear since the higher temperature actually corresponds with a lower load measurement). Thanks to jamie1073 I can confirm the temperature does go much higher with other Prime95 settings, but without the load indicating any higher.

In contrast to the high CPU temperature, the GeForce RTX 2070 Super (with Corsair waterblock, on the same HydroX loop, after the CPU block) never exceeds 55c.