Corsair Community

H150i vs H110

mr_scary

I recently purchased an H150i Pro, Installed it on a 5930K Stock CPU

Temps were much higher then my 4+ year old H110.

Both coolers were mounted on the top of a 760T as Push/Exhaust.

H150i | Idle-33°c | Max-51°c | Ambient-71°F

H110 | Idle-28°c | Max-38°c | Ambient-71°F

I tried mounting the H150i twice.

Tried first without iCUE software

Second remount with iCUE software 100% fan.

Second time with the same TIM I always use.

However I could not find any pump RPM setting it was always grayed out.

I know these temps are not terrible but, the performance gap is huge IMO.

However my entire system was warmer, Ram, VRM, even the plastic RGB Corsair logo was very warm to the touch 89°-90°F measured with a laser thermometer. 82°F with the H110 installed.

I ended up returning the 150i, Corsair's excellent RMA service replaced my failing fans on the H110 so I have it back in the system working perfectly.

Some people seem to think this was a faulty pump or something.

I've remounted the H110 probably 6 times in total on this PC for cleaning over the past 4+ years. twice in past couple weeks, and the temps are always the same.

Is the 280MM radiator supposed to perform that much better?

Possibly larger copper block?

I will keep this H110 forever.

H150i | Idle-33°c | Max-51°c | Ambient-71°F

H110 | Idle-28°c | Max-38°c | Ambient-71°F

However I could not find any pump RPM setting it was always grayed out.

Hopefully those are coolant temps. The pro series coolers have a "quiet"pump mode that comes in at 1100 rpm. That is very low noise for a desktop work environment, but definitely offers a temp penalty in exchange. We have seen people with +15C rises with moderate load. The pump "grayed out" thing is weird. I have never seen this and I am definitely curious. Past that point now, but this is not a common issue on the Pro series. The H150 should have been equal or slightly better cooling (1-2C) but with less fan noise to achieve it.

Hopefully those are coolant temps. The pro series coolers have a "quiet"pump mode that comes in at 1100 rpm. That is very low noise for a desktop work environment, but definitely offers a temp penalty in exchange. We have seen people with +15C rises with moderate load. The pump "grayed out" thing is weird. I have never seen this and I am definitely curious. Past that point now, but this is not a common issue on the Pro series. The H150 should have been equal or slightly better cooling (1-2C) but with less fan noise to achieve it.

Those temps are the package CPU temps from HWMonitor as well as the LED readout on my motherboard.

I also thought this H150 would be better.

To change the pump speed in iCUE ... select the pump in the Performance section, then select the pump speed that you want. Not the other way around. I think that the default mode is "Quiet" which would explain things. Set it to Balanced or Extreme.

You had a maximum CPU temp of 38C and thought it would be better? I don't know what you were doing before, but the 38C is not likely an accurate reflection of maximum CPU temperature for a 5930K@3.7Ghz stock conditions. A peak of 50C and and fluctuating temps in the 40s would be more likely for moderate to high use. Also, in these low voltage conditions, your environment temperature will heavily influence the final temperature since they are relatively low.

If you are going to run the 5930K at standard voltages and clocks, you don't need an cooler upgrade. I kept my 5930K@4.5 and 1.35v for a long time on a series of 280mm cooler with max temps around 60-70C for benchmarking. Legitimate use was always lower. The advantage of larger radiator surface area is you need less fan speed to achieve your heat dissipation for X watts. However, when not overclocking, almost every cooler can handle the 95-135W load with relative ease. That 5930K@4.5 was about 205-210 watts. That is quite a bit more than stock, but was still considerably below the danger level. What you can't do is drop the temperature down to nothing. There is always going to be voltage based heat created at the pins and it will always need to pass through the CPU to exit. You can't "out cool" that process. This why those extreme overclock people use liquid nitrogen to reduce the socket and CPU baseline temps to negative numbers. If you can't stop the heat, then the only thing you can do is move the starting point further down.

I know I did not need a cooler upgrade and mine was performing well. those temps are extremely accurate measured many times.

My CPU is at 26c right now typing this. Read from the LED on the board, and from HWMonitor, I have not yet installed the new fans. they are set to 75% in BIOS which is about 1100-1200 RPM 1 fan not reporting RPM as its broken making noise. ( reason for RMA). ambient is 67F

The reason for swapping was that Corsair was having me ship the unit back for RMA.

I bought the H150 thinking it would be better and planned on keeping it.

and just using the H110 in an upcoming build.

However Corsair just sent me new fans in the end.

Great customer service BTW.

I should have mentioned which I thought I did. I'm using CPU-Z to stress the CPU at 100% to get load temps. either way using the exact same scenario in all tests.

Also I can overclock this if needed, but these test were just stock clocks.

However my CPU never got above 41c before swapping it out.

I'm sure might go above that "MAYBE?" if I'm not paying attention but I check my current, max, low temps on secondary monitor before, after, quite frequently during gaming etc..

CPU cores idle at 1197MHZ and max at 3691, stays mostly at 3500 while using it.

http://williamwendland.com/blog/images/26c-5930k-67f.jpg

Edited by mr_scary

To change the pump speed in iCUE ... select the pump in the Performance section, then select the pump speed that you want. Not the other way around. I think that the default mode is "Quiet" which would explain things. Set it to Balanced or Extreme.

Maybe I just missed it, but the pump was always read only or not present when using the factory presets.

I could only change the fans when using a custom profile.

Pump was read only, grayed out.

Yeah, I am rather familiar with the 5930K and still have a few years worth of data tucked away from it. All I can say is you must keep things rather chilly in your house and the minimum temps suggest it may not be quite 67F/19C, although Haswell-E cores do have a tendency to show below actual minimum temperature when "shut off" by the CPU. Looking back at my first run data done with AIDA64, it might be possible to get into that range if I dropped the room temp another 5-7C. Regardless, clearly the problem here was with the H150i settings. It should have been more or less the same and with only this small wattage to get rid of, you could get the same results on a single 120mm cooler over short duration. It could have been a contact issue, but the frozen or lack of pump control certainly seems suspect. Either way, I loved my H110 and that is what I used the majority of the time on my X99 build. Quiet pump, efficient. Still have mine too. Regardless, what you have now is as cold as the CPU can be without using extreme methods, external chillers, etc. Edited by c-attack

Yeah, I am rather familiar with the 5930K and still have a few years worth of data tucked away from it. All I can say is you must keep things rather chilly in your house and the minimum temps suggest it may not be quite 67F/19C, although Haswell-E cores do have a tendency to show below actual minimum temperature when "shut off" by the CPU. Looking back at my first run data done with AIDA64, it might be possible to get into that range if I dropped the room temp another 5-7C. Regardless, clearly the problem here was with the H150i settings. It should have been more or less the same and with only this small wattage to get rid of, you could get the same results on a single 120mm cooler over short duration. It could have been a contact issue, but the frozen or lack of pump control certainly seems suspect. Either way, I loved my H110 and that is what I used the majority of the time on my X99 build. Quiet pump, efficient. Still have mine too. Regardless, what you have now is as cold as the CPU can be without using extreme methods, external chillers, etc.

Actually it may have been about 66F when I first walked in.

it warms up after a while. I keep a digital thermometer right in front of my pc.

my A/C is set to 69F so it comes on then. I try to keep it below 73 if at all possible. the weather here is mild right now so its easy to control temps.

I agree. after you guys talking about the pump rpm. I think I should have have kept it a little longer and try to get it working faster but I already returned it, just wanted to get my rig back together.

Also the block/logo was really crooked with the bracket.

and I really do not like all the iCUE / Link / RGB / USB Birds nest of cables.

I like a simple Pump, and fans. I don't need, nor like all the extra clutter.

having just 1 cord on the block is nice.

For me LED simplicity. 1 color is all I need. or none at all really.

I wish there were more simple options available in the large AIO/CLC.

I will probably start using custom loops, or just make my own CLC

and I really do not like all the iCUE / Link / RGB / USB Birds nest of cables.

I like a simple Pump, and fans. I don't need, nor like all the extra clutter.

having just 1 cord on the block is nice.

For me LED simplicity. 1 color is all I need. or none at all really.

I wish there were more simple options available in the large AIO/CLC.

I will probably start using custom loops, or just make my own CLC

Hold on to it. This is still why I have mine and I resisted the the next wave of coolers until it passed. I miss this rig. It lives on as photo and video editing box for someone else in the family.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/fnk6v56445rn63w/ML140_White_%2526_X99_Pro_2.JPG/file

Edited by c-attack