Corsair Community

Suspect PSU received from Amazon

Hotaru Hino

I ordered an RM650x from Amazon recently and after opening it up I immediately began suspecting something odd about it. It had what I could best described as a "used" or "burnt" smell, not unlike new electronics. The spec label also seems to be weird, with the following that seems off:

• The only regulatory label is the FCC and something else
  • The "QC Passed" and "Hi-Pot OK" aren't stickers, they're printed on the label

I attached a picture of the RM650x's label and a comparison between an RM550x that I have (sorry for blurry cam, but it's still visible that the RM550x has more stuff on it)

I'm tempted to return this, if anything because of the weird smell it has.

20200910_195936.thumb.jpg.f02a1292ed6b342e078a5c3b7c5d1766.jpg

20200910_192035.thumb.jpg.8e73549adfae91c548627d0f83d15d10.jpg

I can't answer your question, but who was this supplied by? Was it supplied by Amazon itself or was it supplied by a different seller? This makes a huge difference. I would trust Amazon but I would not trust any of the sellers who work through amazon. They can often be found to be supplying reconditioned or fake goods. You should only ever buy from Amazon when you completely trust the source of the components, ie the company that sells it.

It was sold by Amazon, or at least "Amazon.com services LLC"

EDIT: Yeah, I'm heavily in favor of returning it also due to the suspect label. I decided to look up a review of the unit and found one on Tom's Hardware. The label on theirs looks a lot more legitimate: https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/bNE3XMEJQFbYMNdToQhWvV-650-80.jpg.webp

Untitled.png.8f35b9dfa268ff39530895ec6cacd2eb.png

Edited by Hotaru Hino

• Corsair Employee

• The only regulatory label is the FCC and something else
  • The "QC Passed" and "Hi-Pot OK" aren't stickers, they're printed on the label

Due to the Trump tariffs on Chinese goods, the RMx power supplies sold in the US are mostly made in Vietnam. And since they are made for the U.S. market, they only have the FCC and the cTÜVus approvals.

The certs you see on other RMx PSUs are for all of the other countries it's sold into (e.g. BSMI for Taiwan, KCC for Korea, etc.)

I can't tell you if the smell is normal or not because you can't attach a smell. But I'm sure the unit is perfectly fine.

Due to the Trump tariffs on Chinese goods, the RMx power supplies sold in the US are mostly made in Vietnam. And since they are made for the U.S. market, they only have the FCC and the cTÜVus approvals.

The certs you see on other RMx PSUs are for all of the other countries it's sold into (e.g. BSMI for Taiwan, KCC for Korea, etc.)

I can't tell you if the smell is normal or not because you can't attach a smell. But I'm sure the unit is perfectly fine.

Thanks for getting back to me. And good to know since the whole situation with China went over my head.