Corsair Community

Problems with Force GT Drives -Freezes and Hangs

sonoma825

Hi Guys,

New member here. Looks like a pretty good forum so I am glad I joined.

I bought 2 Force GT 120gb drives for myself and the other IT guy in our department. We put them in our HP Elitebooks 8440p and 8440w. We run Win 7 64bit Enterprise. We did clean installs after we put the new SSD drives in. At first they ran great for like a week.

The other guy's started getting BSOD's and after the second clean install I RMA'd it to newegg for a straight replace return.

Mine was working great until 3 days ago it started hanging at the Windows splash screen and at the log in prompt. The Hard Drive LED was on solid and never let up. I had to hard shut down about 5 times to get it to come up. When it comes up it is back to being fast.

The other problem is when I am running applications like word, excel, outlook, chrome, IE or anything really it will hang up with solid LED for like 1-2 minutes and then lets go. I am monitoring the resource manager disk and not seeing anything happening.

I have always ran AHCI mode in Bios. I have not done trim yet, but could.

I turned off cache mode on the drive in windows. All of the bios and chipset drivers are up to date.

Any help or suggestions I would really appreciate it. I want to love this drive given its awesome specs and when it works it is awesome, it just sucks i have to reboot so many times in the mornings and the random stop and waits that happen throughout the day.

thanks!!!

yea i was almost about to pick up one of these drives now that newegg has it for cheaper than the Vrtx 3, but I still see there have been 0 firmware updates to fix any of these issues and the competitor just released 2.11 and a lot of people's stuttering/bsod and other problems have been fixed. I'm very curious as to why the Force 3/GT haven't had a firmware update to resolve any of these issues.

Yes i have made a detailed report about the hardship i have had to endure trying to get this drive to stabilize in another page on this forum. I have now realised there is nothing that can be done except a new firmware.

How the Force GT could slip throught quality control department in this shape is a mystery.

I got a response when asking Corsair about my constant freezes in windows 7 with my new 120 force gt. I've done everything they said I could do, but nothing helps. They said I could get a rma for it, so it seems they realized their new discs are ****.

me 2. I am suffered with this only two days, not I cannot live with it any more on my new m18x. It is very lucky that I prepare three SSD for this laptop. So......I get enough item to switch under this embarrassing situation. (Two more: v3 and intel)

I register here to post in order to ask Corsair's attention. I think it was completely a joke that one of the corsair staff did not believe user's experience and replied with "Don't base your conclusion on a single review that there is a performance issue. Other reviews are showing very different results." Please just assume that a telecommunication provider tell their customers: Our product always has best communication quality which experienced by most of our customers. This company play both roles of provider and customers. They use their own voice to represent the customers to decribe their feedback. Seriously, I do not know how many feedbacks given by Force GT users can no longer be regarded as a SINGLE REVIEW. I hope Corsair can face directly to this FREEZES AND HANGS issue and resolve this smoothly. We can be patient for one week, but we cannot wait for any longer I think.

Anyway, mine is 120GB version, I hope the horrible problem which happened on Force 3 120GB does not happen again.

Please note, do not tell us we are the single case...........

Anyone who purchased THIS ULTIMATE FLAGSHIP VERSION SSD OF CORSAIR with great hopes normally has enough bugdet to change another. However, this is an unusual way that everyone will disappoint with Corsair which is one of the world best memory providers (previous or current...)

Hope for the firmware can be updated asap. Do not recall the product any more.

me 2. I am suffered with this only two days, not I cannot live with it any more on my new m18x. It is very lucky that I prepare three SSD for this laptop. So......I get enough item to switch under this embarrassing situation. (Two more: v3 and intel)

I register here to post in order to ask Corsair's attention. I think it was completely a joke that one of the corsair staff did not believe user's experience and replied with "Don't base your conclusion on a single review that there is a performance issue. Other reviews are showing very different results." Please just assume that a telecommunication provider tell their customers: Our product always has best communication quality which experienced by most of our customers. This company play both roles of provider and customers. They use their own voice to represent the customers to decribe their feedback. Seriously, I do not know how many feedbacks given by Force GT users can no longer be regarded as a SINGLE REVIEW. I hope Corsair can face directly to this FREEZES AND HANGS issue and resolve this smoothly. We can be patient for one week, but we cannot wait for any longer I think.

Anyway, mine is 120GB version, I hope the horrible problem which happened on Force 3 120GB does not happen again.

Please note, do not tell us we are the single case...........

Anyone who purchased THIS ULTIMATE FLAGSHIP VERSION SSD OF CORSAIR with great hopes normally has enough bugdet to change another. However, this is an unusual way that everyone will disappoint with Corsair which is one of the world best memory providers (previous or current...)

Hope for the firmware can be updated asap. Do not recall the product any more.

Yes you can wonder if they live in complete denial of the large proportions of the problem. I see reports all over the internet of the Force GT having severe issues.

I bought the Force GT because i saw some post about it not having the same issues as Force 3 SSDS and it still had all of them i mean how is this possible. I went through hell trying to fix the problems.

Yes you can wonder if they live in complete denial of the large proportions of the problem. I see reports all over the internet of the Force GT having severe issues.

First, there is no denial. We are working on the issues that have been reported to us. Second, there are no large proportions based on the number of sales vs issues reported and RMAs.

Bear with us and we apologize again for the inconvenience.

hi also i have this problem...

i have buy the corsair force 3 120GB and my ibm thinkpad w520 if i enable ahci is blocked on bios start screen, i have buy another hd corsair but gt 120gb and the problem is identic.

i have try also apple imac i5 27" the problem is identic...

i contact corsair and send rma??? i have buy 2 hd corsair is impossible that now i send all the ssd for repair..

i possible update the original firmare 1.2?

thank you

Hi,

I've just updated my GT 120GB to FW to 1.3 and it still freezes.

The Highest active time of Win 7 Resource Monitor reaches 100% for +- 10 seconds and the drive is not responding while no read/write activity is pending.

I have still several days to request money back left. Should I rely on You that some fix will come soon? Are you working on it and when can I expect the new FW? It has been reported by many other users too...

Hi,

I've just updated my GT 120GB to FW to 1.3 and it still freezes.

The Highest active time of Win 7 Resource Monitor reaches 100% for +- 10 seconds and the drive is not responding while no read/write activity is pending.

I have still several days to request money back left. Should I rely on You that some fix will come soon? Are you working on it and when can I expect the new FW? It has been reported by many other users too...

Have you tried the other recommendations that come with the 1.3 firmware?

Have you tried the other recommendations that come with the 1.3 firmware?

Sorry, I didn't consider them so important. And at least the last point I cannot pass at all. Moreover, when it's not sure that it helps...: "A clean installation of the OS." It would take me two days to make clean installation of my OS, Visual Studio, SQL and related tools/config/updates... it would be cheaper to buy another drive and clone... (btw, I cloned from X25-M 80GB to this 120GB).

However, I found on some forums info about disabling sata LPM in bios. I disabled the HDD sleep mode and dynamic power management in asus util (no option about lpm in my bios) and checked advanced pm config in Win 7 where is the LPM: Disabled displayed. Hope that it stands for sata and not usb...

And since than I haven't received any freeze for 1 day so far (+- every 1-2 hours before even with fw 1.3)... When freezes again I will check hdd sleep timeout to 1 minute and post report....

08-17-2011 update: no freeze since the config change (sleep mode disabled)

Exactly. LPM has nothing to do with the BIOS, it is OS related.

Try disabling it in Windows, Google should point you the way.

A second option leads to the BIOS: Try enabling Hot-Plug for the port where the SSD is connected. I'm now freeze-free for about 2 weeks.

Second, there are no large proportions based on the number of sales vs issues reported and RMAs.

It's very likely that most of the people experiencing these issues will not report an issue that 1) is not a show-stopper (such as this problem), and 2) they have knowledge of being under public discussion already.

I, for example, am suffering from this same problem and have not made an official report nor RMA'd my SSD for the reasons mentioned above. I can tolerate the rare BSOD's and drive dropouts couple of times a week for a while before taking the trouble of RMAing my primary system drive, if I know that the issue is publicly well known.

Therefore, I have to disagree with the quoted argument. I think it is very likely that the cause of this issue is present in just about every Force GT drive out there, probably even every 120GB SF-based SSD. It's just that the path from the root cause to problem manifestation and eventually raporting/RMA by the user is quite long and treacherous and dependent on the nature of the problem manifestation.

A tip of the hat for Corsair (and you) for being open about this stuff though. The purpose of this post was to underline the inaccuracy of the sales vs issues -measurement and not to bash Corsair.

Good day.

Therefore, I have to disagree with the quoted argument.
He stated the data the ratio was based upon. You can't discount it just because you want to include data that he stated wasn't in the data set. Sorry, that's just not how statistics works.

Now keep in mind you BOTH could be right. The data set you have in mind is completely inclusive of his and therefore could shift the ratio when looking ar a larger data set.

He stated the data the ratio was based upon. You can't discount it just because you want to include data that he stated wasn't in the data set. Sorry, that's just not how statistics works.

Now keep in mind you BOTH could be right. The data set you have in mind is completely inclusive of his and therefore could shift the ratio when looking ar a larger data set.

Yes, of course. Sorry for being a bit one-sided. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just want to give a positive review for the Force GT.

I'm using the 120GB model. Works fast and is 99% trouble free.

Yes I have seen the BSOD, but that is attributed windows standby or hibernation modes. Since Microsofts inception of those features, they have never worked correctly. I usually disable them.

As for system hanging / freezing… Yes it does happen, but not often. In fact it only occurs maybe once a month. So really this is a ultra-fast 99% reliable hard drive. This drive has never crashed.. (NO DATA LOSS).

Before I purchased this drive I did some research. Since I was getting a new laptop I wanted to be sure of two things. Performance (Will I see it on the system.) and reliability (I have seen so many complaints about SSDs from all manufactures.) If there are issues, Corsair will stand behind their products. I can even say they will go out of their way to try and satisfy you.

The Force GT model is native SATA III. It does say it will work with SATA I and II. But why would you do that? It would be just a waste of money. Buy a cheaper drive for the SATA II and lower equipment. The Dell XPS 17 is SATA III. ;-) Very fast! Also whatever SATA I/O chipset you’re using, make sure it is updated with the latest or compatible firmware.

Also check compatibility of the other SATA devices on your computer. If you are using this drive with mixed levels of SATA gear (SATA III with SATA II) on the bus, that may be your issue. There really are countless issues that could be causing problems just by using older controllers and devices. Just check Youtube, there are a few videos with problems arising from secondary SATA devices being installed.

My configuration:

DeLL XPS17 Laptop

I7-QM

16 GB Ram

Drive 1: GeForce GT 120 SATA III

Drive 2: Western Digital 750 GB SATA III

Drive 3: BluRay Optical Drive SATA III

Archived