Corsair Community

Comments for Force 1.1a firmware update

svieira

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed the new firmware update on a MacBook pro, on a windows 7 partition on Bootcamp. The installer was very easy to use and the firmware upgrade took under a minute to be done (I went from 0.2 to 1.1a on a Corsair F200)

The drive works now like a charm. I have been putting the computer to sleep, back and forth, several times. There has been not a single problem.

Thanks a lot for this update. It works now great! :D:

Pardon me for asking, but was this the firmware update that was coming very soon or is there another in the pipe in the near future? I'd just wait with updating this system for now unless this was indeed it.

I'm with Heintz, I've had this firmware for a while.. I'll go ahead and reflash anyway and see what happens, but I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling yet.
You won't accomplish anything. The firmware hasn't been changed whatsoever.

Are you using IDE emulation or AHCI? When they were first giving out the utility they said you should be using AHCI.

Normally using AHCI - when switching to IDE the drive is shown in updater, but update freeze immediatly when pressing OK- button to start update process..

I have the last non-beta BIOS from MSI installed.

Unplugged all other HDs, disabling second JMicron-controller... nothing solved the problem.

Edit: In compatibility mode (any modes) the program recognize the F120!

it was possible to start the update and it seems to work - but a few minutes later it writes "download failed" - bluescreen followed and i thought now the drive's history...

But turning off and on the comp. brought the drive back to life - phuhh..

Pardon me for asking, but was this the firmware update that was coming very soon or is there another in the pipe in the near future? I'd just wait with updating this system for now unless this was indeed it.

This is for updating early drives to the most recent shipping firmware, aka 1.0 to 1.1. There is another update more recent than 1.1 that we expect from SandForce any day now.

Normally using AHCI - when switching to IDE the drive is shown in updater, but update freeze immediatly when pressing OK- button to start update process..

I have the last non-beta BIOS from MSI installed.

Unplugged all other HDs, disabling second JMicron-controller... nothing solved the problem.

Edit: In compatibility mode (any modes) the program recognize the F120!

it was possible to start the update and it seems to work - but a few minutes later it writes "download failed" - bluescreen followed and i thought now the drive's history...

But turning off and on the comp. brought the drive back to life - phuhh..

At least i have managed the update:

Using a Win7-PE Boot-CD - the update-prg and fw-package on an USB-Flash-Stick - makes it possible -- for those they have the same problem..

Hi everyone!

First of all I have to say: the update process is very easy to use. But.... before I updated the firmware (from 1.0 to 1.1a) I had smart values for temperature of 25-max. 36 °C (+77.0 °F - max. +96.8 °F). Now they are about 50 °C to 60°C (122°F to 140°F). I know that it is only a failure of smart readout of Crystal Disk Info. But before, with firmware version 1.0, crystal disk info did not show so high values.

I think this is no big problem, isn't it? I mean my laptop has no isolating plastic but a cover of metal and everyting is cool. I think Crystal Disk Info needs only to be updated. :confused:

But instead to svieira (with a MacBook Pro) my BSOD problem still persists (on a HP Touchsmart tm2-1090eg).

Hoping for the next firmware update!

Sorry, I forgot: This happens with an Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller [ATA] and a Corsair CSSD-F120GB2 (CrystalDiskInfo 3.8.0c)

Hi Corsair forums :biggrin:

I've been lurking around the SSD forums for a while with hopes that there would be some fix for the Force Series' random disconnecting issue and have thus far been disappointed. Anyway, after playing Mass Effect for a while today after installing the 1.1a firmware update, my PC decided that it was going to blue screen and not detect the F60 drive after rebooting. This is the second time this has happened while the PC was in use so I'm beginning to doubt that it has anything to do with power saving features. Being a computer technician, I have had the opportunity to test five F60 drives, three of which are were in completely different systems and the other two in my personal machine. In all cases I was able to replicate the disconnecting bug.

Anyway, I know that Corsair is working on the problem with the help of SandForce and I hope you get a solution out soon. However the point of me making this post was to report my experience with the 1.1a firmware. Apart from the disconnection while playing Mass Effect, I've experienced Crystal Disk, as well as HWMonitor, reporting rather high temperatures for the drive. Where as before the F60 used to be in the range of 30-35 degrees, as of right now, it is at 66 degrees Celsius. I know that the previous readings were more accurate as I have physically touched the drive and I'm pretty sure the 110 CFM fan the drive is mounted in front of does a pretty good job of keeping everything cool.

Best of luck fixing the Force Series

The Professor

Hi Everyone,

is there any suggestion for those customers that employ Linux as their only OS? The Update won't work using the usual ways like WINE or VirtualBox I'm afraid. Also having a DOS Bootdisk doesn't seem to be sufficient. Any thoughts? I'd really like to avoid having to visit someone who's running Windows on their machine just for this update.

TIA

Smoerrebroed

Hi Everyone,

is there any suggestion for those customers that employ Linux as their only OS? The Update won't work using the usual ways like WINE or VirtualBox I'm afraid. Also having a DOS Bootdisk doesn't seem to be sufficient. Any thoughts? I'd really like to avoid having to visit someone who's running Windows on their machine just for this update.

TIA

Smoerrebroed

I suppose you could try a Windows Live CD like UBCD4WIN. It's always handy to have a copy of Windows around for compatibility issues.

To all those having "temperature reporting problems" with firmware 1.1a: we've known that for a while. The SMART temperature problems were reported over a month ago and one of the problems introduced with 1.1a when upgraded over 1.0. Hopefully the next version will fix this, as well as the BSOD/disconnecting bug which is obviously not fixed in 1.1a either.

It sounds to me like Corsair just wanted to get the updating tool out to make sure that it's updating without erasing the drive, etc for people before the big release comes out. Otherwise, 1.1a is pretty close to being useless.

It might be a hassle for you guys not running Windows, but IMO this updating tool is much better than others that I've seen. Most people don't have easy access to a bootable DOS disk anymore and most of the other command line tools erase the drive when they update the firmware! Just be glad that this new tool does not, you should still back up but it definitely makes our lives easier.

I couldn't resist updating already and hit a snag afterwards that I thought I'd best share the solution to. To likely no fault of the update itself I found my system unable to boot into Windows 7 with the controller (Intel ICH10R on P45 chipset motherboard) in AHCI mode, after a long pause eventually a bluescreen would show. The solution was to reboot in IDE mode(BIOS setting), restart the system and then switch back to AHCI mode again. Likely this had more to do with interface drivers and Windows itself rather than the drive. (with a new firmware the drive is re-detected as a new drive) Just a heads up for similar systems.

• Corsair Employee

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post the results/concerns and complaints. We are working on another Update we expect any time but sorry no ETA at this time. This is as Yellowbeard stated the current production firmware 1.1 that was released in BETA to some users previously.

This update Version 1.1/1.1a resolves Smart errors after you may have ran secure erase was the official fix for this release. We knew that it may fix some other issues and why it was released but we did not expect it to fix all of the issues as explained in the release post.

I see mixed results and what we expected to see; some minor issues would be resolved but the users with the BSOD issue it seems to have no effect. There is some communication with some of the TOP MB makers who have identified BIOS issues and have released BETA BIOS to address some SSD compatibility, so if you have that issue and it was not resolved by this update keep checking with the MB maker of your system for the latest BIOS and driver and we will keep pushing for the next release ASAP.

Again thank you all for taking the time to post your results.

It sounds to me like Corsair just wanted to get the updating tool out to make sure that it's updating without erasing the drive, etc for people before the big release comes out. Otherwise, 1.1a is pretty close to being useless.

Actually, this update has proven to be quite useful as we discovered when we sampled it selectively. Which, is why we posted it publicly. ::pirate::

I have been a "Lurker" here for a little while, although I have been using a F-120 for about 4 months. I have been waiting, hoping for a FW Update since. I am confident that the original FW on a SSD can always use a good FW Update. I am a current/past user of Intel's SSD's with much success with there FW Updates. When they release an Update it is a pretty big day.

Tonight I decided to log in and see what was up with FW Updates. To my suprise it was great timing:biggrin:

I performed the VERY user friendly updater. Thanks Corsair! Everything went as planned without even a hiccup. The Updater restarted my computer, upon restart Windows started loading some drivers of there own. I still need to look into that too see what they did:eek:

Once MS was done it made me restart again. Is this normal?

I had run an ATTO test before and after to see if any performance changes occurred. To my suprise it was faster after 1.1a. :!:

I want to thank all that was involved with bringing this Update to public. I can't wait till the next one comes out, which from what I have read will be from Sandforce. I am sure it will be a much bigger FW Update.

BTW, I have HDTune installed to monitor some of my external HDD's for my backups. It popped up a high temp alert as soon as it booted up. I was expecting that so no big deal. Correct am I?

BTW, I have HDTune installed to monitor some of my external HDD's for my backups. It popped up a high temp alert as soon as it booted up. I was expecting that so no big deal. Correct am I?

You are correct, firmware 1.1a introduces a thermal monitoring problem (I think it's related to SMART). It has been well reported but besides being annoying has no adverse effects.

I see mixed results and what we expected to see; some minor issues would be resolved but the users with the BSOD issue it seems to have no effect. There is some communication with some of the TOP MB makers who have identified BIOS issues and have released BETA BIOS to address some SSD compatibility, so if you have that issue and it was not resolved by this update keep checking with the MB maker of your system for the latest BIOS and driver and we will keep pushing for the next release ASAP.

So you recommend using beta Bios for the MB? I'm asking because for my Asus M2A-VM, the latest release version (2302) is from Feb. 2009, and there is a Beta (5001) from April 2010, which only lists compatibility with current processors as improvements.

I'm reluctant to install it because I had problems with the last Bios Upgrade and a version from April surely can't contain improvements resulting from your recent communication with MB manufacturers. Or can it?

Archived