Corsair Community

Initial observations after 24hrs and a few questions...

ZeroOne

First off, I realize this just came out and there are bound to be a few issues here and there. Just wanted to come on here to report them, and possibly get a few fixes, suggestions, or maybe beta firmware/software! :sunglasse

Used in a Corsair 600T white, the stock, white front and top fans are connected to fans 1 and 2 respectively. I cannot control the speed of fan2. Fan1, when set using "fixed RPM" to 500rpm, will ramp up and down between 490 and 600.

Fan2, (which I'm assuming is identical) when set to 500rpm will stay just below 1,100rpm, sometimes falling to 800rpm over a few seconds before quickly rebounding to the upper 1,100's and hanging there for 10 seconds, before repeating the process. The other two non-Corsair fans connected operate properly.

Different types of fans seem to have different minimums. I have one Nexus and one ******** Vegas Duo alongside the stock white 600T fans. When you set the minimum to say, 500rpm on the non-Corsair fans, it seems that the Vegas Duo will go to around 775rpm, and Nexus 120mm to 525rpm. I'm guessing the Corsair Link will try to determine what the real minimum is before stalling the fan and that's why it won't go any lower?? Or, more likely, the "minimum" is a given voltage, and this is where the fans end up, given that input.

Also, the temp sensors are strange (reversed??) The 3 included sensors are connected to 1, 2, 3, and the software shows sensors 4, 3, 2.

Finally, and this one seems really i m p o r t a n t. A setting would be VERY nice to turn a fan completely off.

Was about to purchase this product till I ran into this thread and have heard of similar problems thinking it was user error but all the symptoms youre explaining with the temp sensors and the rpms on fans are troubling.....Thank you for your honesty and hope things will get answered and fixed. Till than we will wait once again. :mad:

Well, the temp sensor issue is easily worked around, just read the information in reverse.

It looks like 4-pin fans can be regulated down significantly, like 400 RPM for a 1200 RPM fan, but 3-pin fans dwell pretty high in their RPM's even when you try set it to lowest possible. I have some 1200 RPM fans that won't go below 800 RPM, even if I know that they'll happily support 500 RPM (DC controlled).

Just wanted to add something..... This is an awesome product. I wasn't trying to bash anything or deter anyone from buying. The build quality is excellent, and it just takes a little tweaking to fully understand what is going on.

That-said, I had a little more time to check things out. The temp sensor thing is really easy, and I'm sure a later firmware can reverse the numbers.

After swapping the cables for the top and front fans, both seem closer in speed... until I put the side panel back on. It may have been the air pressure that was causing the Link to compensate fan speeds. Each model and position of fan really does have it's own "minimum" when attempting to bottom the fans out, which seem to cause slightly different readings, given the same setting.

When I took the front filter off of the 600T, the fan speed naturally increased for a short time because of the lack of resistance until the Link dialed it back. Placing the filter back on, the fan speed decreased for a few seconds, until being ajusted automatically back to where it was before. It saw the change and compensated for it. It really does appear to be working as it should. When you lower the fan speed from maximum to a set value, like 400rpm, it doesn't drop instantly. It slowly adjusts down gradually, I'm guessing to not undershoot the set value, but will eventually reach some natural minimum of that particular fan position / model, that may be somewhat higher than you typed in.

I've got a handle on all of that, and am very happy with it! The software is very nice, and this really makes onboard motherboard fan control look like a joke. I'm also tired of having switches and knobs to deal with, especially when using remote-desktop a lot of the time for this machine, that sits in a room with widely varying temperature. Having this level of control from software is awesome.

The only thing I'll say though... is... please work-in some way to turn fans off completely!

I've got a handle on all of that, and am very happy with it! The software is very nice, and this really makes onboard motherboard fan control look like a joke. I'm also tired of having switches and knobs to deal with, especially when using remote-desktop a lot of the time for this machine, that sits in a room with widely varying temperature. Having this level of control from software is awesome.

I agree, I was very pleasantly surprised once I used it a bit. And, as you noted I am certain it will only get better.

The only thing I'll say though... is... please work-in some way to turn fans off completely!

I will forward this to engineering and the product manager. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. ::pirate::

I'am willing to purchase it, no doubt. Just worried the fixes could be hardware related and don't want to deal with the headache of RMAing etc. If its software related, it would change things alot and would buy it most definitely and wait till the updates are around. If an engineer can explain more on these basics it would help. Thanks. ;):

Obviously I'm not a Corsair Engineer, but seeing as there is a provision for firmware updates, for Commander, and for the Cooling and Lighting nodes, I expect there is a LOT of flexibility.

The Corsair Link software is written in .NET so it should be easy to do some advanced ruling through XML or so, also plugins might be easy to do.

The hardware itself is excellent, I am very pleased with it. I have no worries at all about RMA'ing stuff, the base idea is so flexible that I don't think such will EVER be necessary.

It's just a little early right now, so perhaps it is a little basic still. But there is a LOT the software could do. And I'm very curious what other hardware extensions Corsair may have in mind... :-)

I will forward this to engineering and the product manager. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. ::pirate::

Thank you, i hope this feature is added quickly,is very important imho!

Well, what can one say? Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but this is a seriously lovely bit of kit. And very promising!

(I was going to get only the cooling one, but then thought WTH, I want the lighting node too. There's a window in my case. Those LED strips are REALLY nice!!)

Well, what can one say? Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but this is a seriously lovely bit of kit. And very promising!

(I was going to get only the cooling one, but then thought WTH, I want the lighting node too. There's a window in my case. Those LED strips are REALLY nice!!)

I did the same. The lighting kit is pretty trick.

Looks like I will be purchasing the product after all, I came to my senses that it would be more of a software if any issue would come up and not hardware related. I'am purchasing it as we speak. Can't wait.

I'm holding fire for now , i would need extra fan controller which is not yet available and want to see if the teething issues get dealt with better than they have with the H coolers seeing as its the same companies tech , atm if windows was to take a dump while i'm out my Scythe still runs everything auto as not o/s dependant , i'd be interested to know from those that have it what it does if the o/s dies , run flat out 100% fail safe or do fans slow / stop ? .

I'm holding fire for now , i would need extra fan controller which is not yet available and want to see if the teething issues get dealt with better than they have with the H coolers seeing as its the same companies tech , atm if windows was to take a dump while i'm out my Scythe still runs everything auto as not o/s dependant , i'd be interested to know from those that have it what it does if the o/s dies , run flat out 100% fail safe or do fans slow / stop ? .

That is a fantastic question, even though I already purchased it and for some reason it was showing when the corsair.com site was up that it was "on hold" which was odd because I had ordered it many hours before or at least should say processing lol. Anyhow I'am thinking its all software related with the issues and hope that it would run 100% if something goes wrong in the OS or I will be SoL of a burned cpu (i7-950) cause I will be running my 2 water pumps and rad fans on that module. I have a backup FC5v2 incase Iam not sure if I wanna trust the product yet. Decisions, decisions...

P.S.- I also believe the issues with the low RPM with the 3 pin fans is because the module is PWM and if you use PWM fans or other PWM component to it, it would work fine. Someone said how he used a 4 pin PWM fan and that lowered the RPM no problem but had an issue with the 3 pin. PWM is a different way it distributes or gives its power in different waves as oppose to 3 pin analog. I'am no electrician here but read something along those lines before.

P.S.- I also believe the issues with the low RPM with the 3 pin fans is because the module is PWM and if you use PWM fans or other PWM component to it, it would work fine. Someone said how he used a 4 pin PWM fan and that lowered the RPM no problem but had an issue with the 3 pin. PWM is a different way it distributes or gives its power in different waves as oppose to 3 pin analog. I'am no electrician here but read something in those lines before.

I don't know, but with my nzxt sentry lxe i can turn off the same fans easily.

But anyway, i really like my new corsair link, I'm sure in the future the corsair staff can add this and other new options, it is an excellent product with great potential!

Now that it's out.. I'm having issues finding an etailer that has it.. Where have you gotten yours? (Preferrence to Canadian etailers please.)

Oh nevermind.... I bought it through Corsair. With any luck at all, Canadian Customs agents won't do a butcher job on it

I ordered directly from the Corsair shop, Friday January 13th :-)

It was delivered to me (in Europe) on Tuesday January 17th 14:00.

(yes the order was "on hold" for a couple hours but then went through and I got a shipment notification and a Track & Trace code).

Now that it's out.. I'm having issues finding an etailer that has it.. Where have you gotten yours? (Preferrence to Canadian etailers please.)

Oh nevermind.... I bought it through Corsair. With any luck at all, Canadian Customs agents won't do a butcher job on it

Yup. My tracking number shows that it hit Canada (Richmond, BC to be exact) and then turned around and went back to Cali and now it's on it's way back. Not sure what to make of that but UPS shows a delivery of the 31st. LOL

@YellowBeard

Just a bit of feedback here regarding the online QSG. While looking thru the "Corsair Link Diagram" on page 2 it appears to mis-identify some of the components. Components A, B, C and D are correct.

Under component B (cooling node), the fan connections are incorrectly labeled G when they should be F. The thermal sensors are incorrectly labeled F when they should be E.

Under component C (lighting node), the LED strips are incorrectly labeled E when they should be a combination of G and H.

Hope you can roll this into the setup guide soon. It's not hard figure out what it should be, but we shouldn't have to figure it out at all.

Yup. My tracking number shows that it hit Canada (Richmond, BC to be exact) and then turned around and went back to Cali and now it's on it's way back. Not sure what to make of that but UPS shows a delivery of the 31st. LOL

Wow. Just received the Corsair Link and the import charges were over $60 to Canada. Yikes!!!

Anyone else having a problem with the front and top fans in a 600T? I have the white LED version if that matters. The fans do not seem to respond to speed control. I thought they were... but maybe not. The two other fans (120mm nexus and vegas duo) respond nicely.

• Corsair Employee
Anyone else having a problem with the front and top fans in a 600T? I have the white LED version if that matters. The fans do not seem to respond to speed control. I thought they were... but maybe not. The two other fans (120mm nexus and vegas duo) respond nicely.

Corsair Link's fan controller attempts to determine the minimum and maximum true RPM of a fan. The fan controller is actually PWM, so it sets a duty cycle for any fan plugged into it. With the 200mm fans, their speed is fairly slow (900-1100 RPM range) to begin with, and larger fans are easier to stall typically (since the motors are not exactly propeller turbines).

As a result, setting the fan speed down low to one of the larger 200mm fans is likely to stall it, and Corsair link will up the duty cycle until it's confident that the 200mm fans are not being stalled out. Based on component variance, this can be anywhere from around 700RPM to 900RPM.

Most of the time, it's in the 900s, as the 200mm fans are running with very slow speeds on a very slow duty cycle and occasionally the tach signal isn't received within the appropriate window, causing C-Link to think that the fan has stalled out and up the duty cycle again.

Wow. Just received the Corsair Link and the import charges were over $60 to Canada. Yikes!!!

Oh great... This has become significantly more expensive than expected... (With the Canadian dollar near parity, go figure). Got to smuggle this into the house without the 'lil mrs getting wind of it, or it will trigger another episode of "you pamper that D**m computer more than me!"

Oh great... This has become significantly more expensive than expected... (With the Canadian dollar near parity, go figure). Got to smuggle this into the house without the 'lil mrs getting wind of it, or it will trigger another episode of "you pamper that D**m computer more than me!"

LMFAO!.....all power to ya brother....pamper the beast all you want :D

Archived