Corsair Community

HX850i fans doesn't turn even set 100% speed

stevensong

Hi forumer,

Want to ask you guys is it normal if set speed to fixed 100% it should show some RPM but however my issue here my PSU shown 0 RPM even i set it manually. But i test it using external button to test the fans by connect AC power cord only it will spin but very slow and weak, is this normal or my PSU really got problem?? kindly advise and help thank you.:[pouts:

HX850i.thumb.JPG.e59887c515c194d93407d912b341b452.JPG

im using corsair iCUE version 3.15.101 under performance tabs create custom1 profiles and set fixed % to control the fans RPM speed. Im set it to 100% is should spin maximum speed but surprisingly it show 0 RPM . Currently i have another corsair RM1000i PSU and do the same setting it spin as expected. Please help

i had update to latest iCUE version 3.16.56 still the same the fans wouldn't spin. Im using USB cable to connecting to motherboard USB header. im even try on notifications tab set ( ( when temp value is ) to value below the PSU temps to trigger the fans spin 100% but also no use it wouldn't spin at all. Does the it something wrong with the PSU?

1745466218_icueversion.thumb.JPG.ea1cd5f819645cc24db2e73780775254.JPG

149507059_tempvalue.thumb.JPG.12cc5dafd2002964e4fffc7ec16d2f86.JPG

Edited by stevensong

• Corsair Employee
So after creating the custom profile to have the fan run at 100% did you ever click on the actual Fan listed there in iCUE. Because in your screenshots where you show the 100% curve the fan is still set to the Default curve not a custom one. With your custom curve selected on the left click on where it says Fan to the right. It will then highlight yellow and instead of it saying Default it will say Custom Curve #1 or what ever your curve is saved as.

I have the same PSU and iCUE version. I also have a custom fan curve, but not at 100%, to keep the fan running constantly at at least 700RPM. My PSU fan speed is monitored in AIDA64 and functions perfectly.

If this is not working for you, then I would suggest that the fan in your PSU is faulty, although I would try setting a custom curve, rather than 100%, first, before condemning it.

Edited by Yemble

I have the same PSU and iCUE version. I also have a custom fan curve, but not at 100%, to keep the fan running constantly at at least 700RPM. My PSU fan speed is monitored in AIDA64 and functions perfectly.

If this is not working for you, then I would suggest that the fan in your PSU is faulty, although I would try setting a custom curve, rather than 100%, first, before condemning it.

I think my PSU fans got problem as didn't have constant spin at all. zero RPM .

I think my PSU fans got problem as didn't have constant spin at all. zero RPM .

Should be easy enough to fit a replacement ML-140 fan, if you you don't want to RMA the PSU. Check whether it's 3 or 4 pin and test it in your case (or a different PC) before ordering another.

Having Googled this, I think that the correct fan is Corsair NR135P, 12v, 0.22A, 3-pin.

If you can't find this, then the Noctua NF-P14 Redux-900 3-pin looks like a good silent alternative, topping out at 900RPM, which is more than sufficient (there is also a 1200RPM version). Pretty cheap on Amazon.

Edited by Yemble

Should be easy enough to fit a replacement ML-140 fan, if you you don't want to RMA the PSU. Check whether it's 3 or 4 pin and test it in your case (or a different PC) before ordering another.

they are 4 pin PWM but its the same connector as used on GPU's.. and iirc they are an odd sized fan. 130mm. and i don't think a 140mm will fit in the casing

Edited by Zotty

they are 4 pin PWM but its the same connector as used on GPU's.. and iirc they are an odd sized fan. 130mm. and i don't think a 140mm will fit in the casing

OK, hence the "135" in the part name? The photo I saw looked like three wires, but I'm happy to be corrected. Do Corsair stock this fan as a spare?

Edited by Yemble

No we do not as we do not recommend you open up your PSU and replace parts inside of it.

Good advice.. Serious components inside that can and will cause death if touched. as always. don't mess with things you don't understand is best policy

Yes, i did click you can refer to picture attached. Im even check on the actual fans by reverse the PSU position the fans wouldn't spin no matter what i did even on full load or high temp.

Make sure you test this after a full restart or cold boot and not after resuming from sleep. We are seeing an issue with some devices not recovering after a sleep state. What you're describing was happening to me after resume with the fan profile applied in iCUE, but no action. Other PSU monitoring continued as expected. I either need to reconnect the PSU USB or restart. I am sure that will get worked out in the next version, but for now it is a pain.

You may very well have a PSU issue, but make sure it is not the software glitch above.

• Corsair Employee

Have you tried running simultaneous benchmarks to ramp up the power consumption of your PC? The screenshots you shared with the custom fan curve setting show that the load at those times were only 82W and 73W. Both the HX850i and RM1000i PSUs have Zero RPM Mode, which means the fan won't spin at all until the load reaches at least 40%. In those screenshots, you're at <10% load. Custom fan curves will not, as far as I know, override Zero RPM mode, and the curve you set is ONLY for loads above 40% of max power output.

Here's the HX850i manual which illustrates the fan curves:

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/HXi-Manual.pdf

Since you've already tried the fan test function and it spun, that means it works. Fan test isn't supposed to make the fan run at full speed, it's just to check functionality in terms of having power supplied to it and that it can actually spin.

Have you tried running simultaneous benchmarks to ramp up the power consumption of your PC? The screenshots you shared with the custom fan curve setting show that the load at those times were only 82W and 73W. Both the HX850i and RM1000i PSUs have Zero RPM Mode, which means the fan won't spin at all until the load reaches at least 40%. In those screenshots, you're at <10% load. Custom fan curves will not, as far as I know, override Zero RPM mode, and the curve you set is ONLY for loads above 40% of max power output.

Here's the HX850i manual which illustrates the fan curves:

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/HXi-Manual.pdf

Since you've already tried the fan test function and it spun, that means it works. Fan test isn't supposed to make the fan run at full speed, it's just to check functionality in terms of having power supplied to it and that it can actually spin.

Hi kelvin, thank you for you recommendation and advise yes indeed i run 3D benchmark and try to load the PSU but no matter how i try i can't budge the fans to spin. Or do you have any recommendation freeware / trial software for me to try another round. The reasons i compare with RM1000i is that i understand RM1000i also have ZeroRPM feature but i manage to make it spins under certain circulation. That screenshot is i taken during everything idle time and Im even try to set the temp below the certain to trigger the fans to spin also it wouldn't work but i notice something is that weird when ever i boot up to restart i can see the fans like spark spins meaning it like move abit not even full round 360degree spins. just a jerking spin. Waiting for you to reply. TQ

• Corsair Employee
Hi Steven, I was informed that setting a custom fan curve in iCUE SHOULD override Zero RPM mode. Sorry about that. There was a bit of a misunderstanding when I inquired about it earlier. In any case, it does seem like you just need to RMA your unit. If we can be of any further help, please don't hesitate to ask/inquire.

When you set the notification, you have to click on the temp above to apply that notification. If you don't, nothing happens.

The moment you apply the notification, everything will turn red and the fan will go to 100%

Hi Steven, I was informed that setting a custom fan curve in iCUE SHOULD override Zero RPM mode. Sorry about that. There was a bit of a misunderstanding when I inquired about it earlier. In any case, it does seem like you just need to RMA your unit. If we can be of any further help, please don't hesitate to ask/inquire.

Hi kelvin, i had submit support RMA ticket #2000452251 but already 5 days no one pick up the ticket kindly help look into it. Thank you.