Corsair Community

cue software support while computer is locked?

Teletha

When the computer gets locked windows stops all background processes, and CUE is one of those.

You'd have to modify Windows to keep the processes running when the computer is locked, I'm not aware of any edit available for that.

is it sitting that deep?

yup. Like terabyte said windows locks all processes when you lock the computer. My guess is its trying to save power, and prevent malware or viruses from messing with things while the computer is locked. Which imo is the best time for them to carry out their task as no one would notice right away and no would be able to stop it.

When the computer gets locked windows stops all background processes, and CUE is one of those.

You'd have to modify Windows to keep the processes running when the computer is locked, I'm not aware of any edit available for that.

This is completely incorrect, at least up to Windows 8 (haven't tried 10). I lock my work and home PCs any time I step away, and they keep encoding movies, running virtual machines, talking to custom USB hardware, etc.

As far as I can tell, Corsair went out of their way to make the CUE software stop talking to the keyboard when the PC gets locked, because all the software I write keeps talking to our custom USB hardware with no special effort by me.

I'm guessing Corsair wanted to handle the case where there are multiple users with different settings, and when one user locks the PC and the other logs in at the same time. The "right" way to handle that is to make the CUE driver run as a service, and the currently logged in user's CUE software tells the driver to use that user's settings. But that is hard (seriously, not being sarcastic), so they just made the software release the keyboard when the PC gets locked.

I wish they would do things the right way, since it would allow them to do cool things that other brands offer, like turning off the keyboard lighting when the monitor goes to sleep. That is the one feature I really miss from my Razer keyboard.

This is completely incorrect, at least up to Windows 8 (haven't tried 10). I lock my work and home PCs any time I step away, and they keep encoding movies, running virtual machines, talking to custom USB hardware, etc.

You can encode with a locked pc! what program are you using?

To be clear, when I say "locked", I mean Press Win+L, or click Start then "Lock". Not frozen, asleep, or shut down or something.

As for encoding, Handbrake, MeGUI, eac3to, x264, and x265 all work fine while the PC is on the lock screen. But as soon as I lock the PC, the keyboard disconnects and goes to the default lighting. Tested on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Haven't tried Windows 10. Heck, most the time my PC is encoding, it is locked and I am asleep. Start encode, lock PC, go to bed, wake up, encode is done!

I have a custom USB device at work using a Teensy 3.1 that presents as a USB Human Interface Device (just like a keyboard) that I transfer data to and from, even when the PC is locked. It logs current consumption of a couple devices, and sets the color of some RGB LEDs based on what it sees. The program on the PC is just a .NET app, but I have a command line C++ tool that also works with the PC locked.

Thinking about it, the CUE software is the only program I have installed that seems to stop functioning when I lock the PC. Music keeps playing, webpages keep updating (I get new email messages, etc), everything. I am using Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate, and Windows 8 Pro. But I don't think the Home editions are that different...

What do you guys mean by "locked"?

Archived