Corsair Community

Obsidian 550D and H60i - Fan help!

Shalston

Hello,

I need some advice on the best way to build my new machine. I've purchased a 550D case and an H60i cooler for a 3770K. I might play around with OC at some point in the future but for now I wanted a decent machine that will last me a few years.

I need some help with the fans and how the H60 affects these. I want the case to be as quiet as possible as it will be used as a work desktop during the day with video editing/occasional gaming in the evening. I would like to keep the side and top panels on to keep the noise down.

So here's the issue - It currently has 2 front intake fans and one rear exhaust fan. If I put the H60 in the rear fan needs to be removed and the new fan/rad installed as an intake (according to Corsair instructions). So I've lost my exhaust fan... What should I do? Could I use the original rear fan with the H60 fan/rad and make a push/pull as an exhaust fan?

I'm not looking to get amazingly low temps but just to have a decent setup that will last, and be as quiet as possible.

Thanks for listening!

If you have to run your h60 as exhaust it's not going to hurt your temps very much. Just a couple of degC. Or you could simply reverse the front fans and use them as exhaust too.

The fan on the h60 should be nearly inaudible at low loads. But you might hear them when your taxing your system when they ramp up to compensate for the increased load.

I've run my H60 as a rear exhaust with push/pull fans for 3yrs - and one year of that has been overclocked with no problems whatsoever.

Excess exhaust pressure can also exit the vented expansion slot covers that the 550D comes with. You can always add a bottom intake to get more air into your case - it has a less restrictive intake area than the front fans have, unless you've got your case setup with both HDD cages removed.

Thanks for the replies. OK, I'll set the H60 fan as an exhaust. Would you recommend putting the rear fan that gets removed (when installing the H60) and putting it at the bottom of the case or using it as part of the push/pull setup? I'm guessing the push/pull fans have to to be the same so this may not work.

I can't do anything with the front fans as the HDD bays will be loaded!

Archived