Corsair Community

Upgrading PSU (RM550 -> RM650x) : Want to reuse old sleeved cables - compatibility?

tbessie

Hi all...

So I'm upgrading my computer; the old components have started needing me to power-cycle the PSU, otherwise the computer will kind of just stall at boot (the power turns on, but does nothing).

Since I'm not sure if this is due to the PSU or the motherboard, I'm replacing both (I was upgrading the motherboard and cpu anyway).

The PSU I currently have is an older RM550 (Yellow Label), and am upgrading to an RM650x (Black Label, I believe). I have the complete set of sleeved cables (Type 3, not sure what generation) that I've been using, and am trying to figure out if I can reuse them on the new build.

After researching and looking at the PSU/cable compatibility chart, it looks like I can use all my old sleeved Type 3 cables, EXCEPT the 24-pin ATX cable; for that, I can use the one that will come with the RM650x, or buy a Type 4 ATX cable if I want a sleeved one.

Does that sound right to you? Is the compatibility chart to be trusted? (I certainly hope so, since it even says there's no difference in the Type 3 vs Type 4 cables, except for the ATX cable).

One thing I wonder; would upgrading ALL the cables - not just the ATX cable - get me anything? Are Type 4/Gen 4 cables that much better than the old Type 3 cables I have? Any difference of note, other than for the ATX cable?

Thanks much!

Edited by tbessie

• Corsair Employee

After researching and looking at the PSU/cable compatibility chart, it looks like I can use all my old sleeved Type 3 cables, EXCEPT the 24-pin ATX cable; for that, I can use the one that will come with the RM650x, or buy a Type 4 ATX cable if I want a sleeved one.

You are correct.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks, Jonny!

Now I just want to find out if the Type 4/Gen 4 cables have any kind of edge over my old Type 3 cables. Do you happen to know if they're better quality or something?

- Tim

The Gen 4 cables don't have the heatshrink where the sleeve terminates at the connector.

The Gen 4 cables don't have the heatshrink where the sleeve terminates at the connector.

At first I thought you said "heatsink" and I was thinking "Heatsink? Where is there a heatsink on this cable?" :-)

And that's really the only difference? Sounds like that's not really any difference at all (and might even make the Type 4 cables less sturdy, no?).

- Tim

• Corsair Employee
At first I thought you said "heatsink" and I was thinking "Heatsink? Where is there a heatsink on this cable?" :-)

And that's really the only difference? Sounds like that's not really any difference at all (and might even make the Type 4 cables less sturdy, no?).

- Tim

They use glue. I don't think I've seen or heard of any complaints about them coming undone.

They use glue. I don't think I've seen or heard of any complaints about them coming undone.

Good to know, and thanks for your help!

I've ordered a Type 4 / Gen 4 ATX cable from Amazon.

When I last got these cables, they were quite available. I don't know why, but now they seem mostly available outside of the US (or the availability within the US is very restricted). I wonder why that is.

- Tim