Corsair Community

Safe To Upgrade iCue?

m5puter

I just purchased a Corsair One i140 PC and it came with iCue 3.11 installed. After reviewing all the negative comments about the newer version of iCue (i.e. 3.19 and 3.20) causing massive problems I wanted to check if upgrading to iCue 3.20.80 was a "safe" thing to do at this point? Thank you in advance for any help.

P.S.

Does iCue have sensors to measure CPU and GPU heat? Even if it does would there be any problem if I installed a freeware utility to measure the heat values?

Edited by m5puter

3.20 should be really good, especially on a corsair housepc i imagine.

iCue has cpu & gpu heat sensors, i even have my keybord Function key blocks display their temperature with colorrange through iCue. And it works in conjuction with running HWInfo for instance if i want to run both.

• 2 weeks later...
After my recent update debacle experience (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190764), and after having read what others have been experiencing here on the forums, I would honestly have to say, if your current software is working fine as it is, and there isn't something critical like a security vulnerability patch in the updates, I would just keep using your current version. If you don't have any saved profiles that you are afraid to lose (the main complaint from what I've seen), maybe in that case you can update without too much worry. Just make a system restore point before doing so just to be safe (it won't save your profiles, but in the event that you can't even boot into your OS like me, you can at least undo the change and then reinstall iCUE with the version that came with your disc). Edited by ForTheRepublic

After my recent update debacle experience (https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190764), and after having read what others have been experiencing here on the forums, I would honestly have to say, if your current software is working fine as it is, and there isn't something critical like a security vulnerability patch in the updates, I would just keep using your current version. If you don't have any saved profiles that you are afraid to lose (the main complaint from what I've seen), maybe in that case you can update without too much worry. Just make a system restore point before doing so just to be safe (it won't save your profiles, but in the event that you can't even boot into your OS like me, you can at least undo the change and then reinstall iCUE with the version that came with your disc).

Agree with that entirely.

You can do a system restore point if you like, but the more pointed safeguard is to make a copy of your C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair folder before you take an iCUE update. Copy it to the desktop or save it to a folder with the iCUE version number.

They keep adding new features, new lighting elements, etc. and that creates a problem when rolling back. As soon as you upgrade, the existing profiles are converted into the current version save file format. Once that happens, there isn't a way back most of the time and the data isn't recognized. If the new version turns out to be a problem, uninstall the current version and tick the box to delete all profiles. Reinstall prior iCUE and paste the prior Corsair folder back into the Roaming folder prior to launching.

Also, be aware cutting and pasting the App Data folders around has limits. If you have to replace lighting controllers or other hardware, that may not be effective. Make sure you still physically export and save any profiles that were a genuine labor to create or you can't live with out. App Data cutting and pasting is a whole faster and neater (saves your profile links, pictures, etc), but not guaranteed in all circumstances.

You can do a system restore point if you like, but the more pointed safeguard is to make a copy of your C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair folder before you take an iCUE update. Copy it to the desktop or save it to a folder with the iCUE version number.

There seems to be a lot more that's broken than just the App Data. When I rolled back via a System Restore it broke iCue even more. It stopped recognising all of my Corsair devices and wouldn't recognise them even after they'd been reset.