The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2018, 06:06 PM

POST ID # = 985427
davidm71 Reputation: 10
Default LED Fan direct hookup to motherboard possible?

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte Auros Master Z390 motherboard which has for LED ports for light strip hookups. Two are 12V digital RGB 4pin connectors and the other two are 5V/12V selectible LED 4pin connectors. So was wondering would any of the corsair LED or RGB fans be compatible or would I need to use the corsair command module?

Thank you

Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985472
DevBiker Reputation: 88

You would need to use a Lighting Node Pro and an RGB Fan Hub. Depending on the connector - and I think that Gigabyte's z390 boards are using the same connector as Asus and MSI - it should be possible to get an adapter to control the RGB Fan Hub. I can tell you that Gigabyte's software doesn't do anywhere near what you can do with iCUE tho.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:43 PM

POST ID # = 985475
davidm71 Reputation: 10

So I would have to use the node and an Rgb fan hub? No direct connection to motherboard?

Old 12-15-2018, 12:05 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985478

That is correct.

Keep in mind, too, that Corsair came out with their addressable RGB system well before any of the motherboard manufacturers were including addressable RGB on motherboards, too.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:49 AM

POST ID # = 985505
mohawks Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
That is correct.

Keep in mind, too, that Corsair came out with their addressable RGB system well before any of the motherboard manufacturers were including addressable RGB on motherboards, too.
My MSI Z390 motherboard comes with a JCORSAIR jumper (3pin), which I was hoping to connect directly to the 140LL fan (4pin). However now I read that the Corsair controller is required.

Do you think it's possible to wire up a 4pin to 3pin connector and plug the 140LL fan directly to the motherboard?

I know the 3pin is 5V/Data/Ground.

What about the 4pin from LL140 Fan? 5V/Data/unused/Ground ??

Old 12-15-2018, 11:52 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985542

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawks View Post
My MSI Z390 motherboard comes with a JCORSAIR jumper (3pin), which I was hoping to connect directly to the 140LL fan (4pin). However now I read that the Corsair controller is required.

Do you think it's possible to wire up a 4pin to 3pin connector and plug the 140LL fan directly to the motherboard?

I know the 3pin is 5V/Data/Ground.

What about the 4pin from LL140 Fan? 5V/Data/unused/Ground ??
The 4pin RGB is 12V analog RGB. If you hook your LL fan up to that in some way, you'll blow out your LEDs. Don't do it.

It would be possible to control a single fan with the correct adapter. I've already built adapters that go from Corsair => Aura style. The reverse would also be possible.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:33 PM

POST ID # = 985553

Quote:
The 4pin RGB is 12V analog RGB. If you hook your LL fan up to that in some way, you'll blow out your LEDs. Don't do it.

It would be possible to control a single fan with the correct adapter. I've already built adapters that go from Corsair => Aura style. The reverse would also be possible.
The same motherboard also comes with 2x 4-pin RGB Jumpers (JRGB), which are 12V, would the Corsair LL140 fan work with that instead?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:57 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 985566

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawks View Post
The same motherboard also comes with 2x 4-pin RGB Jumpers (JRGB), which are 12V, would the Corsair LL140 fan work with that instead?
As I said earlier:
Quote:
There's no way to hook it directly into your motherboard's RGB ports without an adapter. Period. And the only supported method is to use a Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro and an RGB Fan Hub.

Check out the RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 too.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 AM

POST ID # = 985688

Quote:
As I said earlier:

There's no way to hook it directly into your motherboard's RGB ports without an adapter. Period. And the only supported method is to use a Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro and an RGB Fan Hub.

Check out the RGB FAQ at http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880 too.
so the 4pin connector (for LED) from the LL140 is 5V.
Do we know the pin out for that? 5V/ ? / ? / Ground

Old 12-20-2018, 03:50 AM

POST ID # = 986277

Well, guess what, I managed to hack the connectors to power the LED lighting of the Corsair LL140 RGB fan by connecting directly with the JCORSAIR jumper (from the MSI Z390 Gaming Pro mobo).
I am able to control the LL140 ARGB LEDs using MSI Mystic Lights now

Using the 3pin-3pin connector (provided with MSI Motherboard for connecting to the Corsair Lighting Hub), I connected the pins to the LED connector of the LL140 fan as follows:

Upper connector (from JCORSAIR): 5V / Data Out / Ground
Lower connector (from Corsair LL140): 5V / Data Out (Unused) / Data In / Ground

Old 12-20-2018, 09:02 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 986304

Yup, that's the correct pinout for the fans. I didn't see this earlier so I apologize for that.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 AM

POST ID # = 986320

Quote:
Yup, that's the correct pinout for the fans. I didn't see this earlier so I apologize for that.
No worries.

So if you only have 1 Corsair fan, and have a MSI mobo with JCORSAIR jumper (or equivalent from other brands), you can connect up the fan LED directly without LNP/LCP.

Of coz if you want more control of the lighting pattern, then LNP/LCP is still needed together with iCue ;)
MSI Mystic Lights does a decent job with the Rainbow light patterns so i'm good :)