The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 AM

POST ID # = 603572
elbubi Reputation: 20

Thank you Toasted!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 603942
parsec Reputation: 10

While the SandForce version 5 firmware issue is simple, some SSD owners here seem to be confused, and IMO all the details have not been documented in enough places, and some users have simply not read about it.

The issue: The base firmware version 5.0 from SandForce that is supplied to its customers (Corsair, etc) has broken TRIM functionality. For whatever reason, TRIM directives from an OS are not applied to SSDs using this firmware. That applies to any SSD manufactures products using SandForce 22xx controllers AND firmware version 5.0.

SandForce firmware version 5.0 is a completely new release/version that is not used by all SSD manufactures that use the SF 22xx controllers.

Prior to version 5.0, the base version of SF firmware for those controllers is version 3.0. That is still in use by some SSD manufactures, and was used by Corsair in the past, and possibly still used on some Corsair SSDs (I don't know every detail regarding the firmware Corsair provides currently for their SSDs with SandForce 22xx controllers.) The main point here is that some owners of Corsair SSDs with SandForce 22xx controllers do not have firmware 5.0 on their SSDs. Therefore, they don't have the problem of non-functioning TRIM with their SSDs. For those SSD owners, changing to firmware versions earlier than 5.0.3 would be a mistake.

A SSD without TRIM will usually suffer a decline in performance over time (variable and usage dependent), in its write speed. Read performance is generally unaffected by a lack of TRIM.

Corsair or other SSD manufactures did not "break" TRIM in firmware 5.0, LSI/SandForce did. IMO, that was a major fumble by SandForce, that Corsair, etc, then have the pleasure of dealing with unhappy customers. It seems incredible to me that SandForce missed this bug, but as we know, stuff happens.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM

POST ID # = 604101
GeneralEclectic Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
The issue: The base firmware version 5.0 from SandForce that is supplied to its customers (Corsair, etc) has broken TRIM functionality.
Corsair or other SSD manufactures did not "break" TRIM in firmware 5.0, LSI/SandForce did. IMO, that was a major fumble by SandForce, that Corsair, etc, then have the pleasure of dealing with unhappy customers.
Hold on here. How many times have we read that "[insert manufacturer name, including the one sponsoring this forum] is validating the firmware"?

I'll tell you. Constantly.

So here's what I'd like to know: How come it took a diligent skeptic at TweakTown to expose this publicly? How come this fundamental aspect of SSD functionality wasn't caught by any of these "validation" exercises? Someone doesn't know what they're doing? They're not using well-controlled formal protocols? There actually is no validation? Take yer pick. But the evidence in the industry says it's probably at least ONE of those.

Sure. Sandforce has fully earned and deserves its present reputation. But then, the manufacturers who've rubber-stamped their errors should be willing to accept their share of the blame for this sorry state of affairs.

Last edited by GeneralEclectic; 09-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM

POST ID # = 604138

@Yellowbeard\RAMGUY

Hello guys, just wanted to know if 5.04 FW is still under validation process, not asking for "ETA's", just simply if it is in its way to see the light.

Saw an interesting 5.02 vs 5.04 comparison, and I might get a shot with when it becomes available and leave my dear 1.3.3 (having wake-up issues lately, guess it might be 1.3.3 to blame)

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 604914
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

We will always review any new firmware when it is released by the Chipset vendor, but like any other products we cannot talk about software or hardware that has not been officially released. Sorry!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 AM

POST ID # = 605267

Hello guys.

I recently upgraded to 5.03 from 1.3.3. All went smooth and no problems so far (my wake-up issue seems to be gone but I also did a few bios changes, so can't really blame 1.3.3 for that). Had to uninstall Intel RST for updater so see my drive (it is stated, I know).

ATTO benchmarks Before/After (1.3.3 left / 5.03 right):

Write speeds seems to have improved a bit, while read speeds seems to slowered down a bit.

Kind Regards!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:57 AM

POST ID # = 606116
clarity Reputation: 10

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing reboots after waking from sleep even on this firmware. Drive is force 3 180gb, comp is HP 8510w laptop. It's not all the time, but enough for it to be quite annoying. :(

Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 606253

Can you test the drive on another system, and do you have the latest Chipset drivers from the Chipset developers page?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:56 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607153
parsec Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutMyThoat View Post
The people that maintain the FW-Upgrade-threads said that in the "TRIM not working 5.02"-thread ;)

Well, lets find out ourselfs (INTEL-SSD Toolbox):

ATTO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutMyThoat View Post
Who said, that 5.03 fixed TRIM, have you verified that?

There is no changelog?

Intentionally they said not to release 5.03 because it does NOT address TRIM and wait for later releases 5.04.

Does it fix TRIM??

I can't agree to any congrats because they "feel" the drive is better now? What the f...

I think the AS SSD pictures are a little confusing. The device-driver seems not to be verified OK (green) on 5.02 and 5.03, plus AS SSD is not reliable. Test it tomorrow again and you have a higher aberration in general than the firmware disparity.

Why is there no changelog??? Do you need to fully internally qualify it before?
So you're saying by checking attribute 169 of one the SSDs affected by the pre-5.03 firmware, we will see a 0, meaning false, or TRIM not supported, right? A 1 in that data means true, and TRIM supported, correct? Or are you saying TRIM is working in 5.0.2?

If you check a standard HDD, as I did, attribute 169 was set to 0, as expected, a HDD does not support or use TRIM.

I also happen to own a non-Corsair SSD affected by this issue, that is still without a firmware update. Attribute 169 is set to 1 on that drive. Those attributes are not updated depending upon conditions or situations, they are static data describing a drive.

I don't see your point here.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM
AntonioB's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607418
AntonioB Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
We will always review any new firmware when it is released by the Chipset vendor, but like any other products we cannot talk about software or hardware that has not been officially released. Sorry!
5.0.4 has been released by sandforce actually - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-5.0.4-release

Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 607470

Yes it has and your question is?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 PM

POST ID # = 607494
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

If your question is when will Corsair release the firmware update...I'd suggest you wait until the Engineers have finished testing the firmware.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 PM
AntonioB's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607575
AntonioB Reputation: 10

I had no question.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM

POST ID # = 609616
duttory Reputation: 10

I have two GT 240GB in RAID0 as system disc with 5.02 firmware, does TRIM in RAID work with this 5.02 firmware ? all other requirements for trim are met, OROM 11.6.0.1702 and 11.6.0.1030 drivers on a ASUS P8Z77 motherboard, or do I need 5.03 firmware ???

Is it possible to install 5.03 without having to reinstall windows ???

Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 609620

No and Yes..
Officially TRIM is not supported in RAID, but the latest Intel RST driver is reported to support TRIM in RAID. But I have not seen where they have officially stated it is supported yet.
And with F/W Version 5.02 TRIM may still work it is just that it was identified in some configurations TRIM May not work.

However in any RAID configuration I would suggest using Diskeeper Professional with Hyper-fast technology to maintain drive performance If this is a problem.

And to update the Firmware you will have to break the RAID and run the drives in AHCI Mode then update the firmware. I would strongly suggest backing up the array just to be safe but the firmware update is not destructive so in most cases I would not expect to loose the data.