Corsair Community

Corsairvbusdriver.sys BSOD crash and loop

Hello all,

Computer BSOD'd earlier and the file in the title was identified as the cause of the crash. Have a K70 RGB Lux keyboard.

Done some googling and seems to be a problem going way back for some, however I have tried every fix I can find and nothing is working.

- Can't get into Safe Mode

- System restore choosing two different dates available didn't work

- System repair/recovery option doesn't work

- Only thing I can get into is command line

- Tried suggestion to run DISM to uninstall drivers but the /Get-Drivers switch returns error 87 'the get-drivers option is unknown', same with /Remove-Driver

Command: dism /image:c: /get-drivers | more

Tried a few variations with no success, c drive is where OS files are

- Tried suggestion to run pnputil to get driver packages instead, this did work and listed a bunch of oem0x.inf files relating to corsair, which I used pnputil to remove with the delete + force + uninstall switches, however when you reboot they come back

- Tried suggestion to delete some corsair files in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\repository + c:\windows\system32\drivers but this didn't work either.

Everyone else that's had the problem solved it via the DISM solution but my commands just don't work, double checked the spacing, drive letter etc but no joy.

Now going to have to wipe the drive and reinstall if no one else can save the day. Suspect this will be my first and last Corsair keyboard if I'm looking at the potential of the firmware/control center bricking my machine at moments notice :|

Update

I have given up now and reinstalling windows, wasted so much time on this.

I tried deleting all the files that could be found, on the bootup error it changed from listing the driver to 'CRITICAL PROCESS DIED'

Tried repairing DISM using a windows USB boot stick as the source but run into errors with that as well.

Last Corsair device I ever buy.

Edited by kevftw

i'm probably late but I had the same problem this morning - woke up to a blue screen... hope this helps

Go in to repair mode, Command prompt mode, navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers and rename the bad corsair drivers to .bad like this

CorsairVBusDriver.sys -->CorsairVBusDriver.bad

CorsairVHidDriver.sys -->CorsairVHidDriver.bad

this ends the hopeless repair loop. i've uninstalled the utility engine and paused all updates until i figure out what the heck is going on here!

cheers,

Jay

Hello,

I received a Blue Screen Of Death this morning with "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED What failed: CorsairVBusDriver.sys"

Renaming the driver with CMD fixed the problem for me.

I have Corsair RGB mouse, keyboard, water cooler, and probably some other components inside my whitebox. Don't remember exactly as I built it 5-6 years ago.

i'm probably late but I had the same problem this morning - woke up to a blue screen... hope this helps

Go in to repair mode, Command prompt mode, navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers and rename the bad corsair drivers to .bad like this

CorsairVBusDriver.sys -->CorsairVBusDriver.bad

CorsairVHidDriver.sys -->CorsairVHidDriver.bad

this ends the hopeless repair loop. i've uninstalled the utility engine and paused all updates until i figure out what the heck is going on here!

cheers,

Jay

In some of the other troubleshooting steps they recommended deleting those files so I don't have them as an option to rename any more :\

Do you reckon copying them from another machine to that directory then renaming would also work? If so does anyone have a copy of those files?

Woke up to this lovely screen today "systemhread_exception_not_handled"

I have K95 corsair keyboard, I cant see whats causing my BSOD. Might I asume its because of my keyboard drivers.

1.Should I asume my BSOD is caused by corsair drivers and try the command prompt method and delete/rename the files

2.Use windows recovery that keeps my personal files

3.Try to uninstall latest windows installation

Edited by BunnyKraken

I also encountered this issue this morning, I found this post from earlier in the year with great step-by-step instructions to fix it.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/690502/bsod-cannot-boot-safemode-or-system-restore/?p=4986285

Worth noting that in step 3.1. I had to do

dism /Image:Z: /Get-Drivers > drivers.txt
notepad drivers.txt

in order to get it to actually open in notepad to allow ctrl+f.

I used this one and it worked https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/12/19/windows-10-is-crashing-with-corsairvbusdriver-sys-failure/

Now im deleting my corsair software, list the K95 RGB on sale and look for another brand, also removed my vengeance LPX DDR 4 3600 MHz from my shopping list for the new computer. I don't care if its windows update that messed things up, I hope some kid isn't crying at the moment and don't have any idea what to do.

Everyone seems to be having success with the DISM command but mine just fails with the error 87, so infuriating this nonsense.

Tried deleting all the .sys and .inf files etc out of all the directories people have mentioned elsewhere but no joy

As soon as you uninstall drivers with the pnputil command they just come back on reboot.

I have deleted the driver per the other instructions and I still get a BSOD error. Now it is worse because the BSOD hangs at the restart and won't restart at all. When I get back into the OS drive the driver is no longer there so I don't know how it can still cause the error.

Thoughts? Ideas? Prayers?

After doing the delete solution and that failing, I went back and did the re-name solution even though the driver was no longer listed. That got me able to reboot windows, I went in and deleted the app and so far windows is rolling along.

I am SUPER pissed at Corsair and Microsoft. This is totally unacceptable.

• Corsair Employee

Hi everyone,

As an update, we are investigating this ASAP. We apologize for the current inconvenience and will provide an update as soon as we have one.

Update:

This is caused by a very old CorsairVBusDriver (driver version is 2.x or older) installed with old CUE SW (CUE 2.x or older) conflicting with the new driver (driver version is 3.x) released with the recent Windows update.

We suggest to take the below actions:

For those having BSOD loop issue after recent windows update, below is the recovery instruction:

First, use system restore function to get back to the point before Windows update is installed;

Uninstall old CUE SW;

Go to https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads to download the latest iCUE SW;

Install Windows update and the latest iCUE SW (these two steps could be in any order);

Regards,

James

Edited by Corsair James

Finally our Work PC´s are back working...

Changing from the old CUE SW to the new iCUE Software is no option for us, there must be a solution to keep running the old "good" Software.

Hi everyone,

Uninstall old CUE SW;

Install Windows update and the latest iCUE SW (these two steps could be in any order);

Regards,

James

Hi everyone,

As an update, we are investigating this ASAP. We apologize for the current inconvenience and will provide an update as soon as we have one.

Update:

This is caused by a very old CorsairVBusDriver (driver version is 2.x or older) installed with old CUE SW (CUE 2.x or older) conflicting with the new driver (driver version is 3.x) released with the recent Windows update.

For those having BSOD loop issue after recent windows update, below is the recovery instruction:

First, use system restore function to get back to the point before Windows update is installed;

Uninstall old CUE SW;

Regards,

James

I'm sorry but i'm not letting you get away with such a poor response. Thousands of people are likely affected by this and worrying just before christmas and all you can do is tell them to system restore. What if they don't have a restore point before the update? What if an error pops up so they can't system restore? Do you have any solutions? I can't believe this even happened in the first place.

I had the exact same experience as the original poster. I just finished re-installing windows from a USB drive as all other remedies failed. I'm definitely not plugging the keyboard back in anytime soon. Tempted to just throw it in the trash, this was a huge hassle.

Exact same problem for 2 gaming rigs. First CorsairVBusDriver crash was Dec 18, I got lucky and was able to do a system restore back to Dec 5 and paused all Microsoft Updates HOPING a real fix was in the mix by someone. Then the bad unrecoverable crash on my 12 year old nieces gaming pc ON Christmas DAY at 10pm. Oh my Lord I was up until 1am trying everything to get into Windows, it was a nightmare on Christmas!!! Instead of enjoying time with my family I was pulling my hair out! Her Rig did not have a restore point that far back to save her PC, so eventually I had to reinstall Windows and go through the taxing process of installing some of the programs. 2020 has been the worst! Lost my Uncle due to Covid and as a family looked forward to at least peaceful Christmas. I can't tell you how disappointing this Christmas was for me. Corsair please, the year is not completely done, there is still time so please give us a solid fix for this issue, PLEASE before the year is done and at least something positive came out of 2020 that helped all of us. I buy your products because Ive always admired your solid products, it craftsmanship and originality. I believed it to be the best. My niece and I have all Corsair Cases, mouse, keyboard because they are the coolest. Again please help us!!! Edited by Templeofthedog

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks.

What's the status on this? My pc crashed as well on December 18h, but I was able to resolve it today after vacation in command prompt. I uninstalled the utility engine from corsair after reboot.

Is the official respones from Corsair really only "you need to recover your pc". Luckily I have background and knowledge in programming, but this won't be easy for anybody to fix and will likely just buy a new PC which is really expensive these days.

I have the MMO corsair mouse, so I need software to make macros for the keybindings. Is it even safe for me to download a corsair software in order to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Hey folks.

What's the status on this? My pc crashed as well on December 18h, but I was able to resolve it today after vacation in command prompt. I uninstalled the utility engine from corsair after reboot.

Is the official respones from Corsair really only "you need to recover your pc". Luckily I have background and knowledge in programming, but this won't be easy for anybody to fix and will likely just buy a new PC which is really expensive these days.

I have the MMO corsair mouse, so I need software to make macros for the keybindings. Is it even safe for me to download a corsair software in order to fix this?

You just need to download the latest version of iCUE 3.x. The current version is 3.37.

• Corsair Employee
Exact same problem for 2 gaming rigs. First CorsairVBusDriver crash was Dec 18, I got lucky and was able to do a system restore back to Dec 5 and paused all Microsoft Updates HOPING a real fix was in the mix by someone. Then the bad unrecoverable crash on my 12 year old nieces gaming pc ON Christmas DAY at 10pm. Oh my Lord I was up until 1am trying everything to get into Windows, it was a nightmare on Christmas!!! Instead of enjoying time with my family I was pulling my hair out! Her Rig did not have a restore point that far back to save her PC, so eventually I had to reinstall Windows and go through the taxing process of installing some of the programs. 2020 has been the worst! Lost my Uncle due to Covid and as a family looked forward to at least peaceful Christmas. I can't tell you how disappointing this Christmas was for me. Corsair please, the year is not completely done, there is still time so please give us a solid fix for this issue, PLEASE before the year is done and at least something positive came out of 2020 that helped all of us. I buy your products because Ive always admired your solid products, it craftsmanship and originality. I believed it to be the best. My niece and I have all Corsair Cases, mouse, keyboard because they are the coolest. Again please help us!!!

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and tragedy. There is a fix for this and that is simply to install the latest version of iCUE (as of this posting, it is v3.37). This blue screen is only a result of using the older versions of iCUE (v2.x)that existed more than 3 years ago As long as you don't have that version of iCUE installed, you'll be okay.

• Corsair Employee
I'm sorry but i'm not letting you get away with such a poor response. Thousands of people are likely affected by this and worrying just before Christmas and all you can do is tell them to system restore. What if they don't have a restore point before the update? What if an error pops up so they can't system restore? Do you have any solutions? I can't believe this even happened in the first place.

If you don't have a system restore point, then you'll need to go through a Windows command prompt and uninstall iCUE through it. As long as you remove the driver, this blue screen won't occur anymore. Unfortunately there is no other resolution as iCUE v2.x has stopped support for more than 3 years now.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and tragedy. There is a fix for this and that is simply to install the latest version of iCUE (as of this posting, it is v3.37). This blue screen is only a result of using the older versions of iCUE (v2.x)that existed more than 3 years ago As long as you don't have that version of iCUE installed, you'll be okay.

Is there a way to easily keep your iCUE to the latest version so this doesn't happen again?

Also, if I just plugged my old keyboard into my machine with windows newly installed, what driver is it going to install? The latest? I am using a Strafe keyboard I bought 3-4 years ago if that helps.

Thanks.