Corsair Community

K55 - Issues with LEDs + Windows bugs

• Corsair Employee

From another thread regarding issues with Steam

Got an update for everyone on this issue. As James has stated before, and I want to re-affirm that we have reached out to Valve when the issue popped up, and went as far as to send them products so they could perform their own in-house testing to speed up the trouble shooting process. Unfortunately we haven't received any responses to requests for updates.

What we have found through our own rigorous testing is that Steam will continuously poll all USB devices looking for controllers once you start the program. This causes HID devices to get confused as to which program takes priority and which to respond to, and will cause hangs or crashes with either Steam or CUE. If a fix is possible through CUE, we will provide it once available.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to this -

Only yesterday did I do the firmware update to my K55, and that's when things started to go wrong. My keyboard is on my multicade machine, and when I attempt to open RetroArch or MAME, I too receive a 30 second (or so) time out before the application actually opens. This bug also completely rendered the "Big Box" side of Launchbox useless.

So just to reiterate, this is NOT "just an issue with Steam"!

Any way to downgrade or rollback the firmware? That would certainly help.

Just to add to this -

Only yesterday did I do the firmware update to my K55, and that's when things started to go wrong. My keyboard is on my multicade machine, and when I attempt to open RetroArch or MAME, I too receive a 30 second (or so) time out before the application actually opens. This bug also completely rendered the "Big Box" side of Launchbox useless.

So just to reiterate, this is NOT "just an issue with Steam"!

Any way to downgrade or rollback the firmware? That would certainly help.

This - my K55 would hardlock any app/game anything that polled controllers when any controller (Steam Controller, 360 controller etc.) was plugged into ANY port on the computer. Thinking it was a power issue I plugged the keyboard/receivers etc. into a separate powered USB hub - no dice, same deal. Miraculously, unplugging the keyboard would cause the app/game to spring to life, and this was without Steam/CUE running. The only way to eliminate this issue for me was to either unplug the keyboard each time I want to use a controller in a game, or to disable all the Corsair "HID" devices - the first option puts excess wear on the connector and I obviously lose the use of the keyboard entirely while playing controller-supported games, and the second option means I can use the keyboard but it's locked into the default "rainbow" lighting pattern and I lose all use of the macro/media keys.

I still don't know why they maintain this is a Valve/Steam issue vs. taking a closer look at their hardware/firmware/drivers. I can say in my case it is 100% most definitely NOT an issue isolated to Steam/CUE.

• 1 month later...

Is there anything new on this? Same keyboard, same problems. Clearly not a Valve/Steam issue when it's affecting Launchbox/Big Box, Retroarch, and pretty much anything that polls for controllers.

This problem has followed multiple computers and laptops - the only common thread is my K55.

I've had some of the issues in this thread like the lock light indicators freezing. Never had any issues with Steam like the others here. They mention they were working on that problem but anything for the lock light indicators? I've seen literally nothing from Corsair I'm really getting sick of this. My lights also flicker randomly the wrong color in my RGB wave and I've had 3 RMAs and they all do it.

I posted a thread about the flickering/lock lights and there are a few others on the first page here (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=176156 http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=176072) but literally no help or statement on what is causing it and if it will be fixed.

$170 keyboard and my lock light indicators can't even function properly.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

no hope of them fixing this issue, they continue to sell a defective product and when anyone asks in the forums they blame steam even when clearly told it happens without steam running.

customer support is next to non existant even after so many people having the same problems.

• 2 weeks later...
We are currently working with developers from Valve to resolve this issue. At this time, it is not confirmed if it is a compatibility issue caused by either one or both platforms. Once a resolution is in place, we will let you know how to proceed.

Two years later, the issue is still present. At this point I think our best option is to RMA our Corsair keyboards and say goodbye to Corsair brand forever. This issue is absolutely unacceptable, and considering how big your brand is and how popular your peripherals are, it's unbelievable this issue hasn't been fixed yet. This should be more than enough to dissuade any potential consumer from buying any Corsair product.

And not, the culprit isn't Steam, since this issue isn't related to Steam, it can happen with any game outside of Steam. It's related to the keyboard's firmware and the issue triggers when the numlock and capslock LEDs aren't responding. From that moment, any game will take ages to load, and Sekiro (for example) and other will just crash. Unplugging the keyboard fixes the issue. But well at this point I think you already know that.

Edited by Bastinazus

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

this has been very frustrating and it took me ages and lots of hair pulling to realise it was the keyboard that was the problem. The issue only seems to occur on Windows with the latest firmware (30.06) not on Ubuntu Linux. However, Corsair support provided me with an older firmware that fixes the problem. I am disappointed that they haven't blacklisted the faulty firmware as that's the least they can do.

I have attached the older firmware that fixes the issue, you can install it using iCue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alqf2rfpghivx99/K55_APP_v1018.bin?dl=0

trying that firmware just comes up with update failed for me.

Hi, I'm sorry the firmware file update didn't work for you. Could you try again after connecting the keyboard to a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 or vice versa or try on another PC? If this still doesn't work could you remove any changes you've made to lighting/profiles in iCUE and then try again?

These are the instructions I received, make sure you follow them exactly: Open iCue > Click the keyboard > update the firmware > Click on "Firmware Image" > Navigate to the APP file that I've attached to the ticket

Please let me know if this helps or not.

By the way, the SHA1 hash for the firmware file is f697b1543819bafa192875e89196da101e987556

You can use 7-zip (after installing right click on the firmware file and select CRC Hash) to generate the SHA1 hash, if it doesn't match then the file is corrupted and you need to download it again. https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Edited by ltron

• 2 months later...

Well having just brought a K55 RGB and straight away am having the caps lock and num lock light problems I am totally stunned a brand like Corsair cannot solve this problem.

I can reproduce this problem 100%, plug then unplug any USB device, or indeed an SDHC card(uses the USB bus) and the caps lock and num lock light stop functioning, unplug and re-plug KB and works again!!

Over 2 years and this is still a fault. I am really upset that I have spent money on several Corsair products over the years, not anymore!

Well having just brought a K55 RGB and straight away am having the caps lock and num lock light problems I am totally stunned a brand like Corsair cannot solve this problem.

I can reproduce this problem 100%, plug then unplug any USB device, or indeed an SDHC card(uses the USB bus) and the caps lock and num lock light stop functioning, unplug and re-plug KB and works again!!

Over 2 years and this is still a fault. I am really upset that I have spent money on several Corsair products over the years, not anymore!

So it's Corsair's fault that your crap motherboard cannot output a constant and clean power source when devices are connected or disconnected? And that the power fluctuation is causing the KB controller to mess up? This is Corsair's fault?

People should endeavor to understand why things happen. Go enjoy another brand, please.

If connecting/disconnecting a device is causing this, then it's either the device being connected is causing a moment of bad grounding, or the PC or wall socket has a ground issue. Or the PSU is developing an issue with it's grounding capabilities.

Edited by Apophis3

• 1 month later...

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX FOR THIS??!?!?!?!

HOW does corsair get away selling faulty products AND faulty firmware? Its not bad enough you make bad products but now I have firmware that destroys my entire comp? Nothing getting recognized. Wow i feel literally ROBBBEDD after reading the MANY MANY MANY complaints about your keyboards. This is seriously messed up. Do yall care at all about your customers? Or should I just open up ticket or something im sure you guys have plenty of those.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. I wasted so much time of my life thnking i put together my PC wrong and now I have to plug in 2 different keyboards just to start my damn computer. I am beyond pissed off I feel ROBBED BLIND. I can only imagine how someone feels who knows nothing about computers and wants to build from scratch. EVERY SINGLE corsair product ive ever gotten from water coolers to keyboards to headsets have had problems. Sure they look awesome and cool and ICUE sure looks cool but this is highway robbery.

I will NEVER in my life recommend another product of theirs. GO GOOGLE k55 problems or better yet corsair keyboard problems. MILLIONS OF HITS

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX FOR THIS??!?!?!?!

HOW does corsair get away selling faulty products AND faulty firmware? Its not bad enough you make bad products but now I have firmware that destroys my entire comp? Nothing getting recognized. Wow i feel literally ROBBBEDD after reading the MANY MANY MANY complaints about your keyboards. This is seriously messed up. Do yall care at all about your customers? Or should I just open up ticket or something im sure you guys have plenty of those.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. I wasted so much time of my life thnking i put together my PC wrong and now I have to plug in 2 different keyboards just to start my damn computer. I am beyond pissed off I feel ROBBED BLIND. I can only imagine how someone feels who knows nothing about computers and wants to build from scratch. EVERY SINGLE corsair product ive ever gotten from water coolers to keyboards to headsets have had problems. Sure they look awesome and cool and ICUE sure looks cool but this is highway robbery.

I will NEVER in my life recommend another product of theirs. GO GOOGLE k55 problems or better yet corsair keyboard problems. MILLIONS OF HITS

I see you fixed your issues with a Repair install of iCUE.

I see you fixed your issues with a Repair install of iCUE.

Booted my comp this morning and it’s broken again. Only way it’s not is if I reboot with another keyboard then hold shift and F8 then somehow let’s me enter my pin...

This is the equivalent to a virus in my opinion. How tf can I fix this??? I want a new keyboard ASAP this is sooooo messed up man

• 1 year later...
Hopping in here in 2021 to let everyone know this is still an issue. Corsair K95 RGB keyboard. Latest drivers. Latest software. I play games a lot with a controller. My caps lock button will stop working and larger 3D games will stall when loading, often crashing. Force closing steam is useless because it doesnt open again for ages. Restarting computer or replugging in keyboard is the only solution.

• 1 month later...
Hopping in here in 2021 to let everyone know this is still an issue. Corsair K95 RGB keyboard. Latest drivers. Latest software. I play games a lot with a controller. My caps lock button will stop working and larger 3D games will stall when loading, often crashing. Force closing steam is useless because it doesnt open again for ages. Restarting computer or replugging in keyboard is the only solution.

Hi!

Exactly same issue since I use K55 RGB Keyboard. This bug only occurs with some games but it's very troublesome !!