Corsair Community

K95 Platinum - Repeating Keys - Warranty Fix

NFGx

I've been involved in a few threads regarding the repeating keys issue on my K95 Platinum. There was no pattern to it, just double keypresses, mostly on E and R but regularly enough on a dozen other keys too so maybe those two because they're the most used, IDK. It started happening more or less out of the blue, but seemed to slowly be getting worse.

I eventually sent the keyboard back to Corsair, under warranty. It added significantly (nearly 50%) to the cost of the keyboard - it is not cheap sending 2kg to Taiwan! - but the turnaround was quick and I have a new keyboard under my fingers right now.

Which immediately started dropping keys, they just fell off when the keyboard slipped getting it out of the box and fell 10 centimetres. Almost none of the keys were properly attached, I had to push and click them all into place. Whatever robot is attaching them needs a bit of calibration.

So the problem was apparently not fixable, but I still have no idea what it actually was. What causes all your keys to start skipping? I don't know if I'll ever know.

And in case Corsair is reading this, while I'm happy with the warranty process (but not the price, maybe get a guy in Australia?) I just wanted to post about my experience with the K95 Platinum overall.

Quite honestly this is a great keyboard when it works, which is not during POST because it will not switch to regular keyboard mode except when Windows has already booted, and if I could boot to Windows I wouldn't be screaming and trying to get it into BIOS mode. So if Windows crashes, I can't skip the error screen, and if I have a problem booting, I need another keyboard to tinker with the BIOS.

That is, frankly, bull****. If anyone can tell me how to switch modes outside of Windows I'd be grateful.

I just don't understand why this isn't a regular HID keyboard with a lighting overlay, but I suppose there are reasons...

That issue is sort of forgivable, the repeating keys after a 15 months not so much. I certainly appreciate the two year warranty but I really didn't expect to need it. We'll see how this one goes. If it experiences a similar failure, I probably won't be replacing it with another Corsair product.

And if anyone's taking suggestions, add another USB port. =)

Edited by NFGx

• Corsair Employee

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far. It sounds like the key caps may be a bit loose, you can request for replacements to see if that helps your issue. In regards to the repeating keys, it's something we try our best with Cherry to make sure we have no issues, but with such a large volume of switches having to be produced, unfortunately their can just be a chance of failure. That's why we offer a warranty for our products. For the BIOS issue, holding the Winlock+F1 key sets it into BIOS mode which should allow your system to recognize the keyboard at post.

Thank you for your reply. The keycaps were fine after I pushed them into place. As shipped, however, they were only loosely placed onto the switches, and if you turn the keyboard upside down and smack the back of it, most of them will fall off. They simply weren't pressed on firmly enough during assembly. Easy fix, I'm not unhappy about it.

As for the switches, I understand. Weird though that a dozen or more of mine started going bad around the same time. Design flaw, or something else, I don't know.

I appreciate the 2 year warranty, and the quick turnaround. Thank you for that.

The BIOS mode simply didn't work on the old keyboard. I've read a LOT of complaints about this being a firmware glitch, so I'm just not going to update this keyboard, and hope it works when I need it.