Corsair Community

High power draw when icue is running.

d3adf1sh

First of all the only reason i am even running the software is to turn OFF the bright yellow light on the face of my M65 mouse. But what i noticed is anytime icue is running my GPU ramps up the clocks from 135 to 1000 MHz and in turn my power supply output jumps from 157W to 226W!!! that's almost 70W just to run icue??? that's even w/ it minimized to taskbar.

I figured that was the only reason to even put that GIANT YELLOW corsair logo on the front was to get people to download the software to turn it off, and that in itself is a little tacky. Sometimes i like to leave my PC running while i'm away because i'm downloading something or whatever and now if i don't want that lighthouse of a logo it's gonna cost me 70W?? wow.

if someone knows how to permanently disable the airport landing beacon on this mouse w/out running icue please let me know. this may just be a deal breaker for me. sucks because i like the mouse and the sniper button. so... idk :grrr:

Assuming your "M65" is a M65 RGB or M65 Pro, you have hardware save slots for saving basic lighting profiles. Obviously one of the choices is 0,0,0 off.

iCUE has both graphing and animations in the interface. However, if you actually close it to the task bar drop down menu, it should not be using GPU resources at that point. Right now I have it up actively graphing and have a game running in the background while I am typing and my clocks on a 2080 Ti are still sitting flat at 330 MHz. Your GPU power settings may have something to do with this and well, the 980 Ti was always a hot rod GPU for sure.

according to icue it is a M65 PRO RGB. so how do i access hardware save slots. because as soon as i shut down icue it lights right back up to the "stock" setting.

and how do you have a game running and your 2080ti is only at 330 mhz?

like i said i have latest version of icue and no graphing going on and whether it is maximized or minimized GPU won't drop under 1000MHZ until i close it then it drops to 135MHz . nvidia drivers are 436.15 (should be pretty fresh)

thx

omg i got it. wow that was a pain. had to go into profile and select mouse. i found then, by where it says profile, there are 3 little bars and it now gave option to save to device, but i clicked and that wasn't doing anything, still lit back up after i closed the software.

then i figured it out. you have to go in to lighting. then it HAS to be "STATIC" can't be solid or anything else. then select front zone. move slider to black (where r, g, and b all say 0, 0, and 0) then save to device. exit out. then logo still lit up. so i went back and selected logo zone and do the same thing.

couple hours later i now don't have to have this junk running in the background heating up my room. thanks for the help!!!

and how do you have a game running and your 2080ti is only at 330 mhz?

like i said i have latest version of icue and no graphing going on and whether it is maximized or minimized GPU won't drop under 1000MHZ until i close it then it drops to 135MHz . nvidia drivers are 436.15 (should be pretty fresh)

The game is minimized to the task bar and iCUE is up and in focus. That's why I was wondering about NVCP power settings for your GPU or perhaps the 980 Ti can't do chill out like the newer cards.

Yes, newer mice use the Hardware (HW M65 Elite/PRO) save slot mechanic versus a direct "save to device". This is to force you to use the only things that can be saved. If it's not a choice, it can't be save to the HW Profile.

ok SO, NVCP power setting is "prefer maximum performance" as it should be for gaming but usually if i'm not gaming or using a browser that uses gpu acceleration it will clock down. so i am taking it icue uses gpu acceleration?

anyway actually the pro (which is what i am using) does not use save slots. it can only be saved to the device by using the steps i stated above. sucks there's no documentation on this. like i was saying, they prob make it that way intentionally so people will keep their software running at all times. prob some telemetry hidden in it.

ok SO, NVCP power setting is "prefer maximum performance" as it should be for gaming but usually if i'm not gaming or using a browser that uses gpu acceleration it will clock down. so i am taking it icue uses gpu acceleration?

Correct. If you feel you the need, you can set the games up in the NVCP for "maximum performance" on the power behavior leaving the default to Optimal. I think that would be mopre effective than setting iCUE to Optimal and then having it come in and out of focus in the desktop environment.

Yeah, sorry. I was attempting to explain why you were having trouble with the save to device lighting and that is the rationale for the newer versions using the HW Profile save slots -- to only show you what can be saved vs the old "save to device" that is trial and error.