Corsair Community

K100 - Few suggestions to make it perfect

I like almost everything about this keyboard. It's beautiful and works amazing, so I'll just write what I don't like about it to keep this review short.

My only issues at the moment:

1. Quite expensive to be honest
  2. Should have the option to be wireless at this price.
  3. Additional keys (W, A, S, D) are very slippery despite being textured (originals feel tackier).
  4. No option to scroll between ICUE profiles. Can only go down the list order and not back to previous profiles, so you always need to open the software to change profile for something in the upper list.
  5. I can hear the coil mechanism with some of the keys being pressed. Light squicky metal spring noise.
  6. When the keyboard legs are open to add an angle, the arm rest isn't sitting flat anymore and has an annoying wiggle. The edge isn't touching the table! (Why Corsair?).
  7. Would have been perfect if it was a TKL with the numpad separated and being able to be attached via magnet to both sides like the Microsoft Sidewinder X6 could.

Can you guys add an option to scroll between profiles?

Or maybe there's a way to do it and I don't know how. But we have a special dedicated key with a human icon which only goes down the list of profiles and not up.

Also need to add the K100 to the Prefix on the forum ;)::cool:

Or maybe there's a way to do it and I don't know how. But we have a special dedicated key with a human icon which only goes down the list of profiles and not up.

Any key can be made to be a "Profile Switch" within the Actions menu. Create a new Action (+), then change Macro to Profile Switching.

You now have a few choices. This can be done with select groups of profiles, all of them, or direct 1:1 switching.

There is a choice in the drop down for "next profile on list" and "previous profile...".

So you can pick any pair of keys you don't normal use, for example Scroll Lock and Pause and assign the directional loop to each. The other thing you can do since there is already a Profile down switch on the board is repurpose the Lock key on the other side of the wheel to the reverse direction. Also note the native profile switch also can be re-assigned to something else if you decide you want to use another pair elsewhere.

A lot of the Corsair mice have direct up/down profile buttons and it works without any needed changes.

I like almost everything about this keyboard. It's beautiful and works amazing, so I'll just write what I don't like about it to keep this review short.

My only issues at the moment:

1. Quite expensive to be honest
  2. Should have the option to be wireless at this price.
  3. Additional keys (W, A, S, D) are very slippery despite being textured (originals feel tackier).
  4. No option to scroll between ICUE profiles. Can only go down the list order and not back to previous profiles, so you always need to open the software to change profile for something in the upper list.
  5. I can hear the coil mechanism with some of the keys being pressed. Light squicky metal spring noise.
  6. When the keyboard legs are open to add an angle, the arm rest isn't sitting flat anymore and has an annoying wiggle. The edge isn't touching the table! (Why Corsair?).
  7. Would have been perfect if it was a TKL with the numpad separated and being able to be attached via magnet to both sides like the Microsoft Sidewinder X6 could.

Can you guys add an option to scroll between profiles?

Also need to add the K100 to the Prefix on the forum ;)::cool:

Surely suggestion 6 is not on all k100 keyboards, right Corsair? There is no way you (Corsair) designed a $230 USD keyboard that has the wrist rest forced off the desk when the feet are raised. How does a design fault as huge as this go unnoticed and make its way into mass production? Especially considering the potentially large amounts of people who would have worked on this product. This is the type of quality we consumers expect with keyboards no more than $10.

This 'lifting wrist rest' issue, as I will call it, is a complete deal-breaker. Even more so when you consider several factors such as the price, the reputation of Corsair's mechanical keyboards and the quality of the rest of the product described by reviewers and consumers alike.

I do hope that this design fault is an issue unique (or at least rare) to Titan's keyboard. If anyone reading this happens to have a k100, could you please confirm if this is present in your board?

As for suggestions 2 and 7: Personally, I don't care for the likes of detachable cables or TKL layouts as I use the number pad constantly and I find having to charge a keyboard that is going to sit in place permanently a rather large annoyance and completely unnecessary.

Regards.

Any key can be made to be a "Profile Switch" within the Actions menu. Create a new Action (+), then change Macro to Profile Switching.

You now have a few choices. This can be done with select groups of profiles, all of them, or direct 1:1 switching.

There is a choice in the drop down for "next profile on list" and "previous profile...".

So you can pick any pair of keys you don't normal use, for example Scroll Lock and Pause and assign the directional loop to each. The other thing you can do since there is already a Profile down switch on the board is repurpose the Lock key on the other side of the wheel to the reverse direction. Also note the native profile switch also can be re-assigned to something else if you decide you want to use another pair elsewhere.

A lot of the Corsair mice have direct up/down profile buttons and it works without any needed changes.

Can't find an option to make the wheel scroll through profiles. This looks like the best suitable button. I hope corsair will update and add the "Profile Switching" option in the hardware action.

Hi Titan777,

Thank you for the detailed feedback on things you feel can be improved about the K100, I'll be sure to take this to the team.

You're welcome (:

Surely suggestion 6 is not on all k100 keyboards, right Corsair? There is no way you (Corsair) designed a $230 USD keyboard that has the wrist rest forced off the desk when the feet are raised. How does a design fault as huge as this go unnoticed and make its way into mass production? Especially considering the potentially large amounts of people who would have worked on this product. This is the type of quality we consumers expect with keyboards no more than $10.

This 'lifting wrist rest' issue, as I will call it, is a complete deal-breaker. Even more so when you consider several factors such as the price, the reputation of Corsair's mechanical keyboards and the quality of the rest of the product described by reviewers and consumers alike.

I do hope that this design fault is an issue unique (or at least rare) to Titan's keyboard. If anyone reading this happens to have a k100, could you please confirm if this is present in your board?

As for suggestions 2 and 7: Personally, I don't care for the likes of detachable cables or TKL layouts as I use the number pad constantly and I find having to charge a keyboard that is going to sit in place permanently a rather large annoyance and completely unnecessary.

Regards.

Being a wireless with detachable cable doesn't mean it has to work as wireless all the time and be recharged. You can just use it same as now with the cable, but have the option to unplug the cable and take the keyboard to bed or something.

The TKL with a magnetic numpad would be good for everyone, also ambidextrous.

I have no idea how they designed the arm rest to lift once you use the feet.

Can't find an option to make the wheel scroll through profiles. This looks like the best suitable button. I hope corsair will update and add the "Profile Switching" option in the hardware action.

I don't see a way to make the wheel do this in software mode and it does not seem to be a programmable choice. As you noted, profile switching is not on the HW Actions list either, so reprogramming buttons additional buttons to switch between HW profiles does not seem possible at this time.

I don't see a way to make the wheel do this in software mode and it does not seem to be a programmable choice. As you noted, profile switching is not on the HW Actions list either, so reprogramming buttons additional buttons to switch between HW profiles does not seem possible at this time.

That would be something Corsair should release in the next update. Hope they do so.

You're welcome (:

Being a wireless with detachable cable doesn't mean it has to work as wireless all the time and be recharged. You can just use it same as now with the cable, but have the option to unplug the cable and take the keyboard to bed or something.

The TKL with a magnetic numpad would be good for everyone, also ambidextrous.

I have no idea how they designed the arm rest to lift once you use the feet.

I understand where you are coming from, but having a keyboard that can detach from its cable and be used on the lap isn't the best idea with this board once you consider the size of it (full size + macros) and the weight (around 1.5 kg/3.3 pounds), it becomes very cumbersome, very quickly. For example, pick up your k100 off the desk and hold it in your hands for a while, you will start to notice it gets pretty heavy.

The TKL with the magnetic numpad feels kind of like a gimmick to me, how many people are just going to leave it on the right side? Especially when you consider the GIANT seam that will run down the entirety of the board just to allow you to swap it. My original K95 RGB (yes, the first one with 18 macros) had the same style seam separating the macro cluster from the rest of the board. To be honest, it looked kind of cheap looking, as if they just took a k70 and added macros to it especially once you notice that the head and the foot of the macro portion were plastic, not brushed metal. Now that I have a Corsair keyboard that has no seam (K95 Platinum), which itself is getting a little old, you really do appreciate the clean, seamless design.

That being said, I do recognise the potential for removable numpads, such as using the board and numpad for work, and then detaching the numpad for gaming. Problems with this are, as I mentioned a giant, jarring seam on the keyboard at the opposite direction from the grain of the brushed metal, and also potential wearing-out of the contacts and mounting system if someone is constantly attaching and detaching their numpad.

As for the wrist rest, seems like this is only a fault on some boards.

[ame]

[/ame]

At 6:30, he attaches the wrist rest and raises the feet, there isn't any play in it whatsoever. Every video I can find on the k100 shows no play in the wrist rest apart from this:

[ame]

[/ame]

At 10:08, you can see the massive amounts of play in the wrist rest, although oddly, he does not comment on it at all.

From this, its possible you received a faulty board, or rather, wrist rest. Send in a ticket to Corsair and they should be able to solve the issue.

If you guys are experiencing a lifting palm rest, please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com and we'll gladly have the issue sorted out. Like Haurjie, I appreciate the feedback provided here and openly welcome such.

At 10:08, you can see the massive amounts of play in the wrist rest, although oddly, he does not comment on it at all.

From this, its possible you received a faulty board, or rather, wrist rest. Send in a ticket to Corsair and they should be able to solve the issue.

That is exactly what I have. So annoying.

I will contact Corsair :(:

• 5 months later...

Just to update. Corsair wasn't able to send me a new wrist rest, which I really don't understand WHY their warehouse is unable to.

Not the customer service I'm expecting from such a brand and such an expensive keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...
When the keyboard legs are open to add an angle, the arm rest isn't sitting flat anymore and has an annoying wiggle. The edge isn't touching the table! (Why Corsair?).

I have tried three different 3 K100's. Two of them had this issue. The newest one didn't had this problem. But fortunately this issue can be fixed very easily. Just bend the two hinges (not sure if this is the right English word) on the wrist rest.

I have tried three different 3 K100's. Two of them had this issue. The newest one didn't had this problem. But fortunately this issue can be fixed very easily. Just bend the two hinges (not sure if this is the right English word) on the wrist rest.

Not sure what's there to be bent, it's a tiny hard plastic with rubber attached.

Also don't want to bend anything in such an expensive keyboard.

I'm sure Corsair will be able to ship a new wrist rest soon, otherwise this is really odd :confused:

• 4 months later...