Corsair Community

CPU not downclocking - Dominator RGB?

Astral85

My CPU is more or less being kept at full speed and voltage while iCUE is running. The cores relax only when iCUE is closed off. I have a new machine with Dominator RGB ram and I suspect it's the ram causing this. Is this known issue and is there a solution? Edited by Astral85

Have you tried disabling 'Full software control' under your Dominator RAM device settings in iCUE?

Yes I have. I've tried everything I can think of. Uninstalled Asus Aura in case of conflict, reinstalled iCUE multiple times and unchecked everything in iCUE. The only thing that lets the CPU relax is exiting iCUE. I've tried installing both iCUE 3.20 and 3.21. CPU usage from iCUE and all other programs is low so it's like something in iCUE is just preventing Speedshift/Speedstep and C-States from functioning normally... Is no else experiencing this?

Yes I have. I've tried everything I can think of. Uninstalled Asus Aura in case of conflict, reinstalled iCUE multiple times and unchecked everything in iCUE. The only thing that lets the CPU relax is exiting iCUE. I've tried installing both iCUE 3.20 and 3.21. CPU usage from iCUE and all other programs is low so it's like something in iCUE is just preventing Speedshift/Speedstep and C-States from functioning normally... Is no else experiencing this?

I don't believe I've seen any wide spread issues with high CPU usage. Judging from your system specs (and most likely build knowledge), I presume you've done the basics like updating chipset drivers and running your Windows power plan settings on Balanced etc.?

It may also be worth trying an install of the old faithful iCUE version 3.18.77. Be mindful if you go back iCUE versions that you will most likely, due to incompatibility, loose any stored custom RGB light profiles (back them up first).

Link below for iCUE version 3.18.77

http://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.18.77_release.msi

I don't believe I've seen any wide spread issues with high CPU usage. Judging from your system specs (and most likely build knowledge), I presume you've done the basics like updating chipset drivers and running your Windows power plan settings on Balanced etc.?

It may also be worth trying an install of the old faithful iCUE version 3.18.77. Be mindful if you go back iCUE versions that you will most likely, due to incompatibility, loose any stored custom RGB light profiles (back them up first).

Link below for iCUE version 3.18.77

http://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.18.77_release.msi

It's not high CPU usage, the CPU usage from iCUE and Corsair services is normal in the 0-2% range. It's just something is constantly calling for maximum CPU frequency/voltage.

I'm using my old Win 10 SSD install with the new machine that had X Hero drivers installed but many of the drivers are actually the same as the XI Hero. I did install the XI chipset drivers and confirm I'm seeing Z390 drivers in Device Manager. I'm wondering if an OS reinstall would help. I haven't yet upgraded to Win 10 1909. It would be an upgrade install and not a whole hog clean install...

It's not high CPU usage, the CPU usage from iCUE and Corsair services is normal in the 0-2% range. It's just something is constantly calling for maximum CPU frequency/voltage.

I'm using my old Win 10 SSD install with the new machine that had X Hero drivers installed but many of the drivers are actually the same as the XI Hero. I did install the XI chipset drivers and confirm I'm seeing Z390 drivers in Device Manager. I'm wondering if an OS reinstall would help. I haven't yet upgraded to Win 10 1909. It would be an upgrade install and not a whole hog clean install...

If it was me, I'd try a full OS reinstall. 1909 isn't really a major install like previous updates.

It's fixed. Setting C-States to full Auto in the BIOS appears to have fixed it. Enabling manual C-States and the C3 state should reproduce the issue... Does iCUE have some programming issues with C-States? Auto C-States are probably best anyway...

Thanks to c-attack for the additional troubleshooting.