View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 03:54 PM

POST ID # = 135031
Auspex Reputation: 10
Default What about TWO pairs (2 GB) of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO?

Hello, all!

Sorry in advance for the long post.

What about an FX-53/A8V Deluxe system with two sets of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (2 GB total)?

Are the settings going to be any different? I had a similar experience, noticing a reported 2-3-2-5 latency and 166MHz (!?) memory clock in the BIOS. I tried changing the settings to a 2:1 (DDR400) ratio and 2-2-2-5 latency, and disabled 2T, but the motherboard wouldn't post -- so I had to reset the BIOS. Then I found this thread. Thanks for giving me hope! (I mean, okay, it's blindingly fast anyway, but I figured I'd get my money's worth since I spent the money to get 2-2-2-5 DDR400 memory...)

By the way, I still haven't updated the BIOS yet to v1.006.

Anyway, I haven't had any CPU heat issues (that I know of), but should I still set the voltage to 1.5v? I'll check it with CPU-Z and see what comes up. Other than that, I should be okay with just setting the DDR voltage to 2.7v, FSB to 200MHz, ratio to 2:1 (DDR400) (rather than AUTO), and latency settings to 2-2-2-5, as per Ixion's specs, right?

I guess my basic questions are:

A) Does having two sets of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (2 GB) instead of one (1 GB) make a difference in what settings to use? I have two matched pairs, so all four DIMM slots are occupied.
B) Should I use 2.7v or 2.8v for the memory? Anyone have any more testing to suggest one over the other?
C) Does the SDRAM Bank Interleave setting need to be changed? In one of RAM GUY's FAQ posts, he mentions that the TWINX1024-3200XL modules are tested with a SDRAM Bank Interleave setting of 4. Any feedback? I haven't checked, so maybe the A8V uses this setting as the default.
D) Cool 'n Quiet is nice, but somehow I don't feel comfortable with it. Not from a cooling standpoint, mind you -- I'm just concerned that there may be lag between CPU load detection and voltage ramp-up. I don't want to be playing a game and have to worry about whether the darn thing is always running at full speed, like I'd want it to be. Anyone have any test information to confirm the responsiveness of the feature? I'm leaning very heavily towards just keeping it disabled, since I haven't seen temperatures that are out of the norm. I'm using the stock heatsink and fan, and I don't plan on overclocking anything.
E) Ummm, should the HyperTransport frequency be set to 1000MHz? That's the default that the board booted up with. I haven't changed it... nor have I messed with any CPU voltage or multiplier settings yet. I'm hoping to just be able to change those settings for the memory and be good to go. Unfortunately, I read this review and now I'm concerned as to whether everything is set up correctly, regarding the HT speed, CPU multipliers, etc. (check the second page, regarding the BIOS):

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/asusA8V/

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Athlon 64 FX-53
2GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (two matched pairs; 4x512MB)
eVGA e-GeForce 6800 Ultra
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
74GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM SATA HDD
250GB WD 7,200RPM SATA HDD
Antec 550W TruePower PSU

Last edited by Auspex; 08-02-2004 at 04:49 PM.