Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Last timeframe that I was told: Late March.

In short, those of us that bought HG10 980s when they were released are stuck waiting, because they shipped out the fixed version to retail first, instead of us.

Ridiculous.

Got sick of waiting, did a full RMA. Got it back Saturday and tried it. And... same issues.

PCB still flexing, requiring messing with torque on the screws to get decent temps. Virtually no difference.

I also can't even get the temps I got before. I'm getting 80C+ in BF4 now, when I was getting in the 60s-70s.

I've messed with this thing for months, spent hours of my life trouble shooting... this is the only product for me where Corsair has utterly failed to deliver.

I can't even return this thing as I got it from Amazon, and I'm stuck with a H55 I don't have a use for. I'm sure I'll find a CPU to put it on eventually, but still.

Edited by Skhmt

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man am I glad I bailed on this 6 months ago and went with eVGA. So sad that Corsair failed on this so hard.

Hope they can get it right for Pascal.

Is Corsair purposely just ignoring this thread so they don't need to admit they screwed up? When is the last time they commented on this?

*EDIT: Disregard, I see your post http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=840234&postcount=854*

EDIT #2 My OCD kicked in and with a few normal hardware screws and nuts I had laying around I was able to custom install the backplate on my EVGA 980 TI SC ACX 2.0+ along with the HG10 bracket. It was a PITA to take apart again but the PCB has a lot more strength now and it is not bending as much, The GPU also seems to be making better contact with the cooler since its straighter now.

I have the exact same card and was wondering if I can (re)install my backplate somehow to reduce the 'bend' - can I ask the details of your 'custom install'? I couldn't figure out. :(

In case anyone's interested, the blower's 'idle' fan speed of 1725 rpm was driving me nuts so tried ordering http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Video-Card-4870-Replacement/dp/B005DO69T4 for $9.99... magic. The idle speed can be reduced to 1070 rpm (MUCH quieter) and can still go to 3350 rpm at 100% if needed.

So to summarize:

Stock blower:

0 - 50% fan speed = 1725 rpm

60% = 2010 rpm

70% = 2345 rpm

80% = 2680 rpm

90% = 3015 rpm

100% = 3350 rpm

Replacement fan:

0% - 30% fan speed = 1075 rpm

40% = 1340 rpm

50% = 1675 rpm

60% = 2010 rpm

70% = 2345 rpm

80% = 2680 rpm

90% = 3015 rpm

100% = 3350 rpm

• 2 weeks later...

I write from Argentina

I am very disappointed by the HG10 .

I installed it on my 980ti with a H80i V2, and idle temperatures are 40 degrees Celsius , and activity without fps limit is 90 degrees Celsius .

I checked several times installation, I took and I returned to put it all together , I changed the thermal paste several times , I adjusted screws, and did everything they told me on the telephone technical support .

my experience was very bad , I again put fans factory.

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/c61d85294b7b0d4a84f47107f5c00105o.jpg

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/4be888da7be5cbadbe3701452d7ab0d2o.jpg

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/525e848814153b807647bc07254e5bf6o.jpg

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/06360b230264624f9cb8b58cfe3a64b3o.jpg

I write from Argentina

I am very disappointed by the HG10 .

I installed it on my 980ti with a H80i V2, and idle temperatures are 40 degrees Celsius , and activity without fps limit is 90 degrees Celsius .

I checked several times installation, I took and I returned to put it all together , I changed the thermal paste several times , I adjusted screws, and did everything they told me on the telephone technical support .

my experience was very bad , I again put fans factory.

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/c61d85294b7b0d4a84f47107f5c00105o.jpg

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/4be888da7be5cbadbe3701452d7ab0d2o.jpg

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/525e848814153b807647bc07254e5bf6o.jpg

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/06360b230264624f9cb8b58cfe3a64b3o.jpg

Mine worked out well for me, I see idle temps at room temp (20-25C) and max OC temp of 45C (on a GTX980 at 1440Mhz). Are you mounting the pump before putting the rad in the case or after? I found that I got bad temps unless I mounted the pump first (otherwise it wouldn't lay perfectly flat) then installed the rad in the case. Are you sure the pump is working correctly? I had a pump die on me and it did the same thing, I got it replaced and I'm now getting great temps.

http://imgur.com/a/gmXTW

Edited by pyrojoe34

• 1 month later...
Yup, noticed the same thing on my Gainward 970 (normal), then spent a few weeks hunting it down and found the manufacturer and serial number of the stock fan nVidia uses. It fits just fine.

I can't tell you if the new fan is quieter as I haven't put it in yet (this is coming in a few weeks), but it should allow to be run at a lower speed at least.

I'm a bit worried about using this particular blower as it is rated at 1.8a which is very high

• 2 weeks later...
an oculus rift is on its way to my home, so i gave up and ordered a replacement hg10 n980 from amazon. If you're keeping score, this means amazon got me in 2 days what corsair couldn't in a month.

Installed with the revised standoffs. Idle temps at ~32c, going to 75c under 3dmark testing, with the corsair blower fan sounding like an airplane takeoff. Adjusted screws/thumbscrews and reinstalled about 7 times. Temps never got better, and frequently got worse.

Gave up and reinstalled the evga acx cooler. Idles at ~29c, quiet under load. Now i've got 2 hg10s and an h100i gtx with no use. What an amazing waste of time and money.

man oh man i just bought exactly what you have please tell me to give it a try and see how it goes as i would cry if it fails :(

• 1 month later...

So I have had the HG10 N980 on my Nvidia GTX 980 now for a couple months and was at one point seeing a max temp of 61C which grew to 70C over time. At this point I took my card out and made sure all the screws on the bracket were tight. Some were loose. After tightening I got my max temp down to 65C. I was ok with this temp but knew I could get better.

After reading some of the replys on this forum I decided to prop my card up with a ink pen at the power connectors to make it more level and to reduce some of the bowing (very slight). This immediately brought my temps down to a max of 59C. I however was not going to leave an ink pen in my case proping my card up.

This morning I took my card back out and took the bracket and H50 off. I immediately noticed from the TIM on my GPU die that the cooler seemed to only be getting a good contact on approx 75% of the die. I had read earlier that someone had used their backplate and that the screws were long enough that came with the HG10 N980, so I gave it a shot with my refernce Nvidia backplate.

The screws are just BARELY long enough to thread with the backplate and still be secure(not popping off). I installed my H50(the original H50) with my H100i V2's Intel Bracket and the short standoffs and....

Now my max temp is 49C in Valley after 20 minutes.

The backplate not only seems to prevent some of the bending and sagging of the card but it also applys pressure to the back of the PCB by the GPU die where normally you would screw the backplate in to the stock refernce cooler.

The card did still sag at the power connectors and I tried propping it up and it only brings my temp down to 48C, a 1C difference.

http://s14.postimg.org/jt750s4p9/20160925_085651.jpg

You can see the card still sags a little.

http://s14.postimg.org/nqueq6ril/20160925_085755.jpg

Those 2 holes in the middle are where my backplate applys pressure behind the GPU die on the PCB

http://s14.postimg.org/csnqlqsb1/20160925_085808.jpg

Another view

http://s14.postimg.org/s2nlsxnt9/20160925_085836.jpg

Old H50 using the H100i V2 Intel Bracket

http://s14.postimg.org/c5otw7vf1/20160925_090139.jpg

This piece of the Nvidia backplate would not work because the screws with the HG10 N980 are too short.

• 3 months later...
I picked up a HG10 and a H60 last week to go on my reference 980Ti and was unaware of all the issues that have been going on with this bracket. I attempted to fit it a couple of days ago and had massive PCB bend and my card hit 90deg under load after about 20-30 seconds so I knew it had gone wrong. I found this thread and my heart sank but I wasn't prepared to throw in the towel. I repositioned some of the thermal pads (one of the VRAM ones was way off so I pulled it off the HG10 and put it straight on the PCB) and reattached the HG10 slowly and evenly, while applying a bit of pressure to the back of the PCB to try and reduce bend, it went on fairly flat but when I attached the H60 (using the Intel bracket) it was clear it was going to push the PCB outwards and cause bending. What I found with the H60 Intel bracket is that when the thumb screws are tightened all the way the bracket actually slips over the standoffs slightly, causing it to sit 1-2mm lower than it should (and put extra pressure on the PCB) so I reapplied fresh thermal compound and attached the H60 slowly and evenly, stopping when the thumb screws were just finger tight. Now it works beautifully. My idle temps are down to 26 deg C and even with a 200Mhz overclock and 110% voltage my temps peak at 56 deg after 20 minutes stress testing, that's with fans running fairly quiet (H60 is installed with a push/pull setup). I'm well impressed, card was hitting 83deg on stock cooler and was thermal throttling before so this is a massive improvement. Just needs some fettling and patience to get the HG10 to work properly. It's clear it's not very well designed but I can also see how Corsair have struggled as there is no where to secure the HG10 directly around the GPU die. Anyway, after seeing so many people having trouble with this I wanted to post my findings.

So I have had the HG10 N980 on my Nvidia GTX 980 now for a couple months and was at one point seeing a max temp of 61C which grew to 70C over time. At this point I took my card out and made sure all the screws on the bracket were tight. Some were loose. After tightening I got my max temp down to 65C. I was ok with this temp but knew I could get better.

After reading some of the replys on this forum I decided to prop my card up with a ink pen at the power connectors to make it more level and to reduce some of the bowing (very slight). This immediately brought my temps down to a max of 59C. I however was not going to leave an ink pen in my case proping my card up.

This morning I took my card back out and took the bracket and H50 off. I immediately noticed from the TIM on my GPU die that the cooler seemed to only be getting a good contact on approx 75% of the die. I had read earlier that someone had used their backplate and that the screws were long enough that came with the HG10 N980, so I gave it a shot with my refernce Nvidia backplate.

The screws are just BARELY long enough to thread with the backplate and still be secure(not popping off). I installed my H50(the original H50) with my H100i V2's Intel Bracket and the short standoffs and....

Now my max temp is 49C in Valley after 20 minutes.

The backplate not only seems to prevent some of the bending and sagging of the card but it also applys pressure to the back of the PCB by the GPU die where normally you would screw the backplate in to the stock refernce cooler.

The card did still sag at the power connectors and I tried propping it up and it only brings my temp down to 48C, a 1C difference.

I went down a different route to deal with the bend near the Pcie connectors, worked extremely well for me.

I have 3 x Titan X in 3 way SLI. Previous to this mod the temps on Valley instantly spiked to 80°+ instantly and idle was at 50°.

Now idle is at 30-38° and temps under load between 55-70° (remember this is 3 way stacked SLI)

It took me 3 FULL days and 7 or 8 tear outs and tests to get this solution so I'm still not a pleased and happy customer that's for sure.

4F3C569F-DE7D-47DC-A996-107AAEF285C5.thumb.JPG.b38e298f1b8cbc3ced641390259baae5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning all,

So i recently decided to take my pc and watercool everything after my H80iGT has done really well cooling my 4790k OC'd to 4.8Ghz.

Mobo is a gigabyte z97x gaming 5. the H100i V2 is plugged into the CPU1, the H80iGT is in the CPU opt.

My plan was to replace this H80iGt with a new H100i V2 and then transfer the H80iGt to my Gfx card using the HG10 980 cooler bracket.

So i ordered them sunday they was at my door yesterday. i then installed them last night.

my system while running bf1 for the gfx card with reference cooler hit a max of 70C. and thats OC'd too.

My temps are now 83C on the Gfx ?!?! if i let MSI afterburner take control of the fan on the HG10 it goes to 80+% and it doesnt even bring the Temps down?

i can then put all my fans and AIO's on performance through the link software and stick the HG10 fan to 100% and still the temp on the card is reading in the 80 degrees?

im at a loss im pretty disappointed that ive spent £150 and my temps are higher than before on both loops!

Edit:

I have re seated and applied Tims again on both loops, CPU loop is very erratic at idle anything from 30 to 57C, GPU idle is 30C and under load upto 74C which is still higher than it was on air.

Looking at the last few posts i see a card support may just help? is there anywhere i can buy one or is it a case of a home made support and a trip down to homebase to get some acrylic tube to prop the car up at the power connection end?

Edited by SinlessViper

As so many people are/were having problems I made a pretty detailed video of my install (including issue and how I got around them), it's on YouTube here

Im going to give all these tips ago tonight. i hope i have the same success as you have in the end as ive had the same issues you have initially

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to sugarcoat this. Hg10 n980 has been the most incredibly frustrating installation of anything I have ever done.

went from working "ok" with temps at 70c at load, thinking that was ok since there was almost no sound. Kinda hard to know whats good when not enough info of others results out in the world.

Ended up remounting a few times with varying results of instant crashes when attempting a stress test..

Finally, I loosened ALL the screws, applied a little extra thermal paste than i'm comfortable with, and barely put any pressure on the thumb screws.

Finally, getting about 60-65 at load thinking thats pretty damn good. I notice a post saying that lifting the card helped for them, so i use a finger to lift the card and it goes down to about 50c or so. Finally got a ziptie and tied it to the tubing for my CPU cooler and getting a steady 45c over 20+minutes on a stress test.. pics to follow.

Temp Test Screenshot

And here is my Super janky Zip-Tie setup

Edited by Skreacher
pic too big - changed to URL

• 5 months later...
Im going to give all these tips ago tonight. i hope i have the same success as you have in the end as ive had the same issues you have initially

@SinlessViper

Did you ever sort out your Issues , I have a H80i-GT I could use too ....if I can still find a NG10 that is....I looked at the Kraken G10 but the H80i-GT isn't listed as Compatible for that , though I thought the H80iGt was Asetek based too.

I have a EVGA 980Ti SC+, @stock, that is hitting thermal limits in FFXIV-HW Benchmark, Valley doesn't seem to push it quite as hard but it eventually throttles down too.

Thx.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone els have issues with the miss-alignment of the purple heat pads on the N980 and the VRM's on a GTX Titan X 12GD5?

I have been trying to search on this forum back but I couldn't find it.

They do not line op properly only covering halve of certain VRM's.

Does anybody know the issue or solution, can it harm if the VRM's are not completely covered by the heatpads?

Thus far no response from Corsair :(

Ticked still not processed, tried to call the technical support twice but after 20 minuteness in Que I gave up.

Very disappointing

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if you can help me , I have just bought a hg10 970 , to fit onto my exga card. ive stripped it all down , and I cannot see how this works, , it says its compatable with the evga 970 , but don't look like it will fit, my model number is

d4g-p4-2974-b5 (that's what it looks like :)

I hope some one can help, or have I just wasted 35£ on the adapter and 70 on a new h80i?

cheers

Steve

I wonder if you can help me , I have just bought a hg10 970 , to fit onto my exga card. ive stripped it all down , and I cannot see how this works, , it says its compatable with the evga 970 , but don't look like it will fit, my model number is

d4g-p4-2974-b5 (that's what it looks like :)

I hope some one can help, or have I just wasted 35£ on the adapter and 70 on a new h80i?

cheers

Steve

Hello there!

Unfortunately, your card is a custom board design and not designated to work correctly with our HG10 bracket. This bracket is meant for reference size 970 series. The screw holes on your board do not match the reference design PCB.

thank you for your help , at least I know ,

when I was trying to pair the 2 together I noticed that on the right hand side of the card (way from hdmi's) I noticed there was a few capacitors that were stopping , the hg10 sitting properly , however it looked like everything would line up , would it be possible to modify the hg10 to fit this board my creating holes for the capacitors to be accommodated?

or is it just a case of it wont fit return it :)

cheers steve

Edited by ryoken_1972

thank you for your help , at least I know ,

when I was trying to pair the 2 together I noticed that on the right hand side of the card (way from hdmi's) I noticed there was a few capacitors that were stopping , the hg10 sitting properly , however it looked like everything would line up , would it be possible to modify the hg10 to fit this board my creating holes for the capacitors to be accommodated?

or is it just a case of it wont fit return it :)

cheers steve

Hello Steve,

As much as it pains me to say, it won't fit easily, even with slight modifications.

If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, please let us know!

Cheers for the reply, ill just return the hg10 and forget water cooling on this card, i suppose i can use the 80i gt on the cpu and replace my few year old 80i , as it does get a tad noisy on high rpm.

thanks again

just seen this post, , wonder if it works as advertised?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=831123

Edited by ryoken_1972