View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 05:37 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 345071
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGu View Post
I am thinkg of 1 -2 hours of OCCT to "confirm stability"at this setting.
I realize that 1 -2 hours of OCCT (or Prime95) is NOT measuring by the "gold standard" that ultimate overclockers use and am
interested to know if you feel this is a major mistake.
It depends on how you use the system. For a system running 24/7 or longterm tasks and rebooted only days or weeks, there can issue singular errors that are cumulative and degenerative.

It's up to you where you go, but be clear, lower voltages can create eletromagetic effects that are as dangerous as overvolting. There MUST be a sweet spot and it is NOT that your system "seems" stable. If it is somewhat stable, then it is very possible that your system is suffering from electrostatic migration, transitory discharge (higher voltage) or drop/droop instabilities leading to corrupt data and longer term physical damage as both the overvolt and undervolt can raise issues that are cumulative and degenerative. This is doubly so in the system that is seldom turned off for any real length of time.

My advice is not to run into the obsessive action of undervolting and not testing for a single extended run. If your CPU can not take this kind of testing, then it is dysfunctional. However, you have learned enough now to go your own way and accept the ramifications of any choices you decide to make.

I personally believe that overclocking and undervolting has damaged many CPUs. DOUBLY so when undervolting with such a high overclock as yours and not testing for long term instability. Look at the more extreme overclockers. They perform SuperPi, etc. Not long term stabilities. Do you think most test for 12 hour stability for no reason? For fun? LOL

If you are longer term instable, then it is certainly possible that longer term degeneration will come about. Remember that these 45nm CPUs are far too new to know about any of the longer term degenerative effects that were seen with 65nm.

I can make 4.5Ghz unstable (longer term) and 1.28v @ 4.0 unstable (longer term) as well. I need more voltage for longer term stability and this will lengthen the life of the CPU as long as it is well cooled for load.