Corsair Community

Connecting LL120 Fan without controller?

Kikkiu

Hi, I bought a Corsair LL120 fan a while ago, but sadly didn't notice that the RGB lighting can only be turned on with Corsair's controller. So here's my question: can I turn on RGB lighting (even without any effect) without a controller? I can do some DIY with what I have, because I can't buy the controller nor the pack of fans since they're out of stock here. Soooooo.. is it possible to know on the RGB cable which is the 5v pin and which is ground/data? I can't even connect it directly to the motherboard, because I only have a 12v connector... As I said, I can do something with what I have, maybe with an Arduino or something.

I had the same problem as yours when I bought a single pack ML fan. From research, you need to buy specific adapter, a dupont molex 4 pin adapter to addressable RGB header of your motherboard. It's a headache, you may find the corsair adapter to standard connection in ebay or buy a 3 pack that comes with lighting node pro.

Here's the pinout, starting with Pin 1 (with the arrow on the connector).

1: +5V

2: Data Out (From Fan)

3: Data In (To Fan)

4: Ground

The minimum that you need to get it to light up is +5V, Data In and Ground - Pins 1, 3, and 4.

Here's the pinout, starting with Pin 1 (with the arrow on the connector).

1: +5V

2: Data Out (From Fan)

3: Data In (To Fan)

4: Ground

The minimum that you need to get it to light up is +5V, Data In and Ground - Pins 1, 3, and 4.

Thanks! I'll give it a try as soon as I can!

On the data pin goes.. data, not a power supply.

I never used an arduino but there are tutorials everywhere on how to use one of the RGB libraries for it for LED control

like that one for example

https://howtomechatronics.com/tutorials/arduino/how-to-control-ws2812b-individually-addressable-leds-using-arduino/

It kinda works. Followed everything on multitple guides, but I get to the same result. I finally managed to turn on the LEDs, but when they do, I get a weird glitch-like effect.

Anyone can help?

photo5769457396266152829.thumb.jpg.d6e50a110e9069548a378bc1603e9746.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly no other answers yet. Here's all the information I got:

LEDs aren't broken;

Arduino control kinda works;

(New) when I get my ear close to the fan, I can hear something like white noise.

Should I try using another Arduino? Did I broke something connecting +5v on the data pin?