Corsair Community

Light enhancement kit interfers with Ryzen Ram speed

Dicehunter

Up until I installed the light enhancement kit into the empty ram slots on my motherboard, My Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB was happily running at its rated 3200MHz, Once I installed the kit the memory refuses to run at anything higher than 2933MHz, I uninstalled the L.E.K and memory is back to running stable at 3200MHz.

Surely something like this should have been tested before it was put up for sale or at least give a warning on the box ?

Edited by Dicehunter

It might be your motherboard. Ryzen is very finicky with 4 DIMMs in the slots. I have four 8GB Dominator Plat in my X470 board rated at 3200 but I can't hit, that, have to run at 3000. My previous G.Skill RGB ran fine at 3200 with two sticks.

Up until I installed the light enhancement kit into the empty ram slots on my motherboard, My Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB was happily running at its rated 3200MHz, Once I installed the kit the memory refuses to run at anything higher than 2933MHz, I uninstalled the L.E.K and memory is back to running stable at 3200MHz.

Surely something like this should have been tested before it was put up for sale or at least give a warning on the box ?

There is already a previously established relationship between the memory load and frequencies that Ryzen can support. ( https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/06/06/2nd-Gen-AMD-Ryzen-Supported-RAM-Speeds-1175/ )

As AGESA updates have improved memory compatibly over time it seems common to reach a limit at 2933 when all 4 slots are filled, however it is surprising that a L.E.K. would cause a similar condition considering it's not actually contributing to adding additional ram to the system.