Corsair Community

Icue 3.22.74 not saving hardware profiles

TDuiker

Im using a k70 mk2, and a ironclaw rgb wireless. i been trying to save a profile on the device, because every time i rebot my pc, it goes to standard rainbow profile, untl icue software starts. And presses te save hardware profle button doesnt seem to do anything. So now i constantly have to have icue running, and when i turn of or on my computer its a fricking rave show.. sooo.., what gives ?

In iCUE in your profiles look for the three K70 HW profiles. Select one and then lighting effects. Create the lighting effect you want for the HW lighting. The click on Onboard Profiles, select one of the onboard profiles and click overwrite. I think that's how you set the HW lighting.

At first the hardware profiles didn't even show up, ive been messing with it for hours. updating firmware, setting up profiles and so on. at first hardware profiles didn't show up, later they showed up all of a sudden, but no onboard profile tab, later onboard profile tab al of a sudden showed up, but it wouldn't let me save a profile onboard, no matter how many times i hit the button, then still later all of a sudden it would let me save profiles.. so i got the lighting working now, where it doesn't default to rainbow. but before al that i had the dpi buttons mapped to the profile buttons, because i only use the 1 profile, so i have no need for profile switching, now the profile buttons are greyed out and i cant remap them anymore.... horraaah for random bs.. Edited by TDuiker

There are certain actions you can't do in hardware mode and are only available when using the extra resources the software provides. Remapping left click and Profile up/down are some of the them. The Profile buttons are reserved for shifting between the three HW profile save slots on the mouse.

The purpose of the HW profile is to show you (prevent you) from attempting to save actions, lighting, etc. that won't work without the software. That does make the actions different from the standard software profile. I can't tell from your description what's going on, but it's not exactly intuitive. A lot of people get lost switching back and forth between the software and hardware profiles trying to replicate one in the other. Make sure you stay in the software profile. Clicking outside the CUE app window will take you back to the default software profile at the top of the list. The DPI stuff is also a bit messy with HW DPI Mode (#) created in the DPI list. You match it up and save. I have not tried to save a different software DPI, but it might not take. Gets even more confusing if you have 5 or 6 HW mice and you have 15 HW DPI profiles with no device name.

So im wondering.. wheter i can have hardware profiles on the keyboard and the mouse. So that outside windows i have propper lighting. once windows boots and icue starts up it takes over with a software profile wth same lighting, but better mapped mouse buttons.. hmm

You should have three HW profiles for each. "K70P HW1-3" and "Iron Claw RGB Wireless HW1-3". If they are missing, you can create them by adding a new profile from the menu on the left, then changing it from a "software" to a 'Hardware" profile (click circle).

You also can use the keyboard's profile button to shift between the 3 HW profiles when iCUE is not running. When it is, it will shift to your next software profile.

Presumably the K70 MK2 is not having save to slot issues for the HW profiles. Is the ICW still misbehaving? Make sure you are wired in when trying to save. Does it report an "error" at the bottom of iCUE? Or just nothing?

Edited by c-attack

i empty'd the onboard memory so yes i have three slots but only 1 profile on each device, before these hardware profiles didnt even show up, when they did it wouldnt let me save to the hardware slots, or make a hardware profile.. and all of a sudden it decided to work.. so the lighting works now.. just not the remapping of the ironclaws buttons yet.. because the profile switch buttons are greyed out on hardware profile.. apparently.

This software is the MOST FRUSTRATING software I've ever used on any computer in the past 30 years.

Why can you not just simply export a profile and then import it into a hardware slot?

Why can't you just save the active profile directly TO a hardware slot?

If you can do either of those things, the process is so obtuse that I, a software engineer for the last 25 years, can't figure it out.

I have valid settings in the default (software) profile for both my K70 keyboard and my brand new Ironclaw Wireless mouse. I want to save them to the hardware profile slot ON THE MOUSE. There seems to be no way to do this.

This software is the MOST FRUSTRATING software I've ever used on any computer in the past 30 years.

Why can you not just simply export a profile and then import it into a hardware slot?

Why can't you just save the active profile directly TO a hardware slot?

That was the prior save mechanic in the software and still exists on some older devices. However, people routinely ran into issues when trying to save features to the hardware that cannot be used without active software assistance. One of those restrictions is described above. The HW save template guides you through the rules to make sure you only select savable actions/lighting. If the choice isn’t there or is greyed out, you can’t do it.

How do you know you have a “valid” hardware settings in your default software profile? You certainly can’t save “them” (K70 and ICW) both to the mouse. Either way, it only takes a moment to create it in the HW profile.

How do you know you have a “valid” hardware settings in your default software profile? You certainly can’t save “them” (K70 and ICW) both to the mouse. Either way, it only takes a moment to create it in the HW profile.

This isn't rocket science. The software recognizes the hardware you have connected and knows exactly what a valid hardware profile can, and must, contain.

And I'd be fine with having to spend the time to re-create the profile if it actually stuck. However, it doesn't appear to ever be saved TO the hardware. Regardless of being over USB or wireless, as soon as you tell the iCUE software to exit, the mouse reverts to factory stock lighting, an annoyingly bright rainbow effect.

And it's not that some features are greyed out. They are not always present at all, making it very difficult to figure out which combination of chair spinning, animal sacrifices, and burnt offerings will allow you to TRY to save things.

The hardware profile tab, for example, was there once... and then vanished. There are hardware profiles listed under the profile tab, but I suspect those are software copies that don't actually get written to the hardware.

A user interface should be efficient and functional, and above all else, consistent.

In any case, all I wanted to do was set the lighting to match my keyboard (set up and saved via the older CUE software, which was the uninstalled with no ill effects), set the DPI to a rate I can live with, and remap the mouse buttons to be more useful to me.... save that in the hardware so it never needs the software again unless I want to CHANGE it, and call it done.

As for just running the software... I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a constant 2% drain on my CPU when I'm sitting idle, doing nothing but watching the process eat between 0.6 and 1.9% CPU to... poll the mouse hardware? Refresh a DirectX display panel that's minimized? Unacceptable.

If I had the mouse flashing colors in sync to music being played, I could see it taking a bit of CPU. But just sitting there with nothing changing? If it has a visible presence on an i7-6700k, I shudder to think about the impact it might have for someone with an older or slower system.

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I'll fight with this for another couple of days before I either find a way to make it work, or send it back. Have a good holiday season!

However, it doesn't appear to ever be saved TO the hardware.

You need to tell it to save. If you read the posts above, you should be in the Hardware Profile for each device. You have 3 HW save profiles for the Iron Claw RGB Wireless HW1-3. Your keyboard will be the same with some combination of K__ HW1-3, depending on model. These are easy to see with the long names and different icon representing the profile. One there, create the lighting, actions, etc. in the HW profile. There are only a couple of menu options. The new found "Onboard Profiles" tab on the left menu should pique your curiosity. You can save 1 or 3. It makes no difference. However, I do suggest following the implied hint and saving HW1 to slot 1, HW2 to slot 2, etc. It will occasionally raise a flag on launch when they don't match and it is a little annoying when you have multiple versions of the device.

And it's not that some features are greyed out. They are not always present at all, making it very difficult to figure out which combination of chair spinning, animal sacrifices, and burnt offerings will allow you to TRY to save things.

That was written for the original poster in reference to his dilemma, not yours.

There are hardware profiles listed under the profile tab, but I suspect those are software copies that don't actually get written to the hardware.

That is where you went wrong. You should have investigated and likely would have figured it out a moment later. That is how you write the software profile to the device.

A user interface should be efficient and functional, and above all else, consistent.

I don't particularly care if you want to critique the software, but in the middle of someone else's post who is demonstrating why they chose this mechanic may not be the best place to make the point. The OP is in the HW profile but can't save the actions he wants because they are not viable options without CUE support. They are available in normal the software state. Two sets of rules. Both are somewhat complex.

In any case, all I wanted to do was set the lighting to match my keyboard (set up and saved via the older CUE software, which was the uninstalled with no ill effects), set the DPI to a rate I can live with, and remap the mouse buttons to be more useful to me.... save that in the hardware so it never needs the software again unless I want to CHANGE it, and call it done.

This you likely can do and most options are available. Things that circumvent how the OS normally sees input functions may not be and there are definite lighting limits. No, it's not rocket science. It's computer science. From the list below, go ahead and edit it so that the following requirements will work in the hardware state without iCUE. They all work with the software running.

1) Keyboard - F1-F12 + Num Pad white static

2) Keyboard - G-keys and Home 9 key block blue.

3) Keyboard - Corsair logo color shift (random) Medium Speed

4) Keyboard - Remaining A-Z and symbol keys faded red 128/0/0

5) Keyboard - Reactive typing A-Z, symbol (white)

6) Mouse - Remap "Option" key to CTRL+V (paste)

7) Mouse - Remap "back mouse button" to CTRL + X (cut)

8) Mouse - Static lighting white 3 zones.

9) Mouse - Corsair logo Rainbow (slow)

Now, maybe I am being soft, but I think it is a bit of a reach for any user to look at that list and immediately pick out which of those requirements are not capable of being saved based on the programming and storage limitations. That is the purpose of the HW profiles. Two sets of rules. Two different kinds of profiles.

Edited by c-attack

Sorry for co-opting someone else's posts. Many forums yell at you for making new topics instead of adding replies to closely related ones, so my bad.

Hmmm, my instinct says numbers 5 won't work without software support, and numbers 3 and 9 might or might not work, depending on the hardware allowing you to adjust the speed. But I would much rather have the software tell me which features won't work in a hardware profile, as a warning dialog that pops up when trying to save to hardware, so I can decide if I'd rather save it anyways (having those elements NOT get saved), or go change it to values that will work. YMMV.

The other issue I had was not having a way to copy the settings from an existing profile into a hardware one. I already had my keyboard configured the way I wanted it, and while it's simple enough to work entirely in hardware, it did take me a while to get it right. When adding the mouse, it suddenly created new hardware profiles that are in the same list with the keyboard profiles.

Why would that matter, when I'm trying to update the mouse, you ask? It's because of the UI. When you select the HW 1 IRONCLAW profile, all the keys on the keyboard go dark. It acts like these profiles are actually merged, so each one has the settings of the keyboard AND mouse. This makes a kind of sense if you look at it from the perspective of only allowing a single active profile at a time... but it also makes it unclear what would happen if I figured out how to make it save.... would it save to BOTH hardware devices at once? Would I then have to redo my keyboard settings again?

If the older CUE software worked with this mouse, I'd just use that, as that's how I set up my keyboard a few years ago, after being frustrated by iCUE then as well. Sadly, since it hasn't been updated, it doesn't see any newer products, so it's either force iCUE to do what I want, or not. :)

Don't worry about starting new posts. You always can do that. Many posts have issues that might have one symptom in common, but arise from entirely different factors. The solutions are also model specific as well. Better to start new most of the time. Regardless, I was not reprimanding you for not following some tedious forums rule. Only that legitimate feedback may get lost against the backdrop of someone else who can save to the profiles, but can't figure out why they can't make certain choices.

Copying Lighting/Actions -> Not as bad as it seems. You have a Lighting and Action "Libraries" under each corresponding tab. In the main Lighting/Actions windows there is a drop down menu with "copy library". You can also click-drag back and forth. Drag the software profile stuff into the library. TRhen drag it back into the HW profile. You still must re-apply the action or lighting to the desired key. So for basic lighting like static white or similar, no real reason to do this. Just re-create. However, for actions and macros it does save time. ***BE AWARE*** There is a specific bug in iCUE 3.22.74 that causes actions in the Library to cause an unintended transference of other keys to the ESC-Function row. The exact effects seems to vary by keyboard type, but a nuisance for sure. After you complete your set-up, delete the actions in the Library only, leaving the profile assignments intact.

In order to make each device independently operable from its own hardware save (no software), they each need their own save slot. It would be problematic for me to save mouse profiles to my keyboard for each of the 9 mice I use for various purposes. I am sure we could come up with multiple circumstances that benefit from one system or the other, but it is each device on its own at this time. Yes, it is rather annoying for the keyboard to go dark when you select and work in the mouse HW profile. If you also have a Commander Pro, "i"PSU, Hydro X pump, or anything else controlled by iCUE, those all go back to default as well. I click on my ICW HW profile, the keyboard goes dark and my pump and fans go crazy. You can set other device behavior in the HW save slot that applies to other devices. It won't be save to the mouse, but you can make the keyboard go do lighting when in the ICW RGB HW1 or any other. Of course, who wants to set up their HW profiles for every single other device? Maybe you turn the keyboard white if you are going in and out of the mouse HW profile all the time. Otherwise it seems like a waste of time.

The old 'save to device' is definitely more common across other brands and types of hardware. I am sure some people are more comfortable with it. However, for 5 years I have been reading the posts of people who are completely baffled by it. It also is common for people to pop up and not be aware of how the HW save system works. But once you know, it stops being an issue. I am of the opinion people are going to have difficulty either way.

Speaking of which, hopefully you didn't spend any time trying to figure out the theoretical profile save from the prior post. It is a bit of a loaded question. All of them do work in software mode. Almost all of them are possible in HW mode, on their own. The trick is the combinations in HW mode. The general rule for lighting is up to 5 custom effects (static, wave, ripple, etc) or 1 preset scheme (like spiral rainbow or type lighting). So you can do the type lighting, just not anything else with it. The software will tell you this when in the HW profile with a specific error and the rule. I could do all of the keyboard items except reactive typing by creating my own color shifts instead of using the presets. Same thing on mouse. The only definite no on the list is remapping the "Option" button, otherwise known as the "sniper" button on several other models. That switch has no OS basis outside of CUE, so it cannot function without the software -- at least that I have discovered. It also lacks a warning it will not work. Anyway, it more a method to illustrate that the rules are rather complex, but the software does guide you in HW mode.

Bottom line... did you get the HW profiles sorted the way you want?

Edited by c-attack