Corsair Community

MP600 1 TB is very slow!

bump for response from Corsair personnel

My opinion, Corsair want to be one of the first who enter the market with a Pcie 4.0 SSD, because they can sold at a high price.

It was not interested that are launching defective, untested products.

They didn't care that some controller chipset or TLC flash does not work properly. And it probably can't be fixed with any firmware update.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion, Corsair want to be one of the first who enter the market with a Pcie 4.0 SSD, because they can sold at a high price.

It was not interested that are launching defective, untested products.

They didn't care that some controller chipset or TLC flash does not work properly. And it probably can't be fixed with any firmware update.

It is strange since apparently the other manufacturers all use the same controller. So it is possible there can be a fix. But if there isn't, I at least want an exchange since their maketing literature is completely dishonest.

The 500GB version (as many other brands) has significant lower write speed, your results seem to be as expected.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9200/corsair-mp600-500gb-nvme-pcie-gen4-2-ssd-review/index.html

I probably should have read up a little more before buying the smaller version......

But im still very happy with it, as everything works lightning fast anyway in my daily use :-)

As another user mentioned - I am seeing the exact same issue on a competitors 1TB NVME on an Asrock X570 Taichi. Had a conversation with their support and the drive is going back. I was about to purchase an MP600 but then came across this thread.

Not sure what to do but honestly considering going back to a PCIe 3.0 NVME. I have had several gen 3 in multiple builds and never had this issue.

Hi, I'm having the same issues. I'm running the latest chipset and firmwares.

I'm also having (from time to time) weird issues with files not saving on my MP600 1TB disk. Sometimes the files don't save to the disk and a few minutes later they appear again. Also sudden hickups when saving files to disk. Even saving small text files the system sometimes freezes for 20 sec. Not always, but it happens from time to time.

My specs:

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8G

G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-32GVKC (on xmp profile 1 at 3600mhz)

Power supply Corsair HX750i

Disk1: Corsair Force MP600 1TB

Disk2: Crucial MX500 2,5" 2TB

Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Tower: Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG

Any word from Corsair?

WriteSpeed.png

firmwaredisk.png

Hi, I'm having the same issues. I'm running the latest chipset and firmwares.

I'm also having (from time to time) weird issues with files not saving on my MP600 1TB disk. Sometimes the files don't save to the disk and a few minutes later they appear again. Also sudden hickups when saving files to disk. Even saving small text files the system sometimes freezes for 20 sec. Not always, but it happens from time to time.

My specs:

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8G

G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-32GVKC (on xmp profile 1 at 3600mhz)

Power supply Corsair HX750i

Disk1: Corsair Force MP600 1TB

Disk2: Crucial MX500 2,5" 2TB

Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Tower: Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG

Any word from Corsair?

WriteSpeed.png

firmwaredisk.png

Same problem on a Sabrent version of this drive. As soon as it gets 50% full the problem starts. It seems like it doesnt resolve after deleting data. I had to wipe the partition and then the speed came back

Sabrent Rocket 1TB gen 4. Write speeds locked to 1000Gb. Firmware is still on EGFM 11.1.

image.png

If somone could explain the speeds to me i would be glad.

After flashing to latest fw 11.3 im seeing these results which are insane.

something must be wrong unless overclocking even affects nvme speeds?

i normally don't spend much time in windows other than flashing firmware or using specific programs, normally on kubuntu.

Edit, just realized why my speeds where bumped, dramcache was enabled.

Will upload picture soon with stock settings.

mp600-11.3.thumb.png.544b1958ea263e74f78eabba91eb6114.png

Edited by Zeggi

KQSVAv8.png?1

Hi, this problem is not exclusive to the MP600, it occurs on my MP510 960GB too. Like you, I had the advertised speeds when I first got the drive and now the write speed won't go above 10xx MB/s. The Microsoft XVDD in the screenshot is a virtual drive created by Microsoft's XBox Gamepass for PC Beta app, could this be the reason for the problem? Edit: I uninstalled it and it made no difference unfortunately.

My system:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X using Ryzen High Performance Power Plan

Gigabyte X570 Master Bios F10 SVM (virtualisation enabled). AGESA 1.0.0.4B

32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz RAM (4*8GB)

Palit GTX 1080 Game rock Premium

Corsair MP510 960GB using first M2 NVME slot (connected to CPU not chipset) Latest Firmware Version 12.3

Corsair RMi 1000W with Corsair link cable connected

Windows 10 64bit Pro 1909 build 18363.836

Noctua NH-D15S cooler with extra fan

Phanteks P600S case

See attached screenshot.

Edited by ltron

The write speed is back to normal after getting the used space to below 50% and using the Windows Defrag and Optimise utility to Trim the drive. Trimming above 50% used capacity has no effect.

wsFlRUR.png

I signed up for the Corsair forums to let you guys know that I've been pulling my hair out wondering why my Seagate 520 PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe drive has only been getting 500MB/s read.

I refuse to believe this is a SLC caching issue. I think it is a Phison E16 SSD Controller issue.

I've been searching this problem all day and have seen that everyone that has had this problem is using an SSD that is on the Phison E16 controller.

This is really aggrivating me.

When the test begins the write speed jumps straight to 2k (where it should be), then plummets down to ~500 every time.

SSDSpeed.png

It almost makes me wonder if the OS is seeing it as SATA 6Gbps.

Edited by Greatli

• 2 weeks later...
i found the issue. as suspected related to power savings.

it is amd ryzen power plan. You need to go advanced and turn pci express link state power management to off!

Wow...

Thx for the info, PeiXi

Someone else could confirm if this solution really fix the issue?

I'm not near of my PC right now...

it is amd ryzen power plan. You need to go advanced and turn pci express link state power management to off!

For me, pci express link power management off does not help

Atto benchmark, 550GB used

attachment.php?attachmentid=38318&stc=1&d=1591982525

589131446_ATTO06_12_2020.jpg.ba8135763b54073052bbd09b0187246e.jpg

This is BS. stop saying it fixes the issue if you don't know if it does.

Okay so.

Above say 50% drive utilization it is SUPPOSED to tank the speed. This is just a fact of life with dynamic SLC caching. Once the SLC cache is small, it has to fold data into the MLC/TLC NAND from the SLC which slows it down a lot. However, I, and a bunch of other people, experience this problem no matter what utilization %, TRIM status, power settings, Chipset Drivers, or motherboard the drives are plugged into.I got an RMA approval from seagate for my Firecuda 520. I'm just sending it back because the problem is not OS software.

If you check the userbenchmark for my drive, the Firecuda 520 500GB, the write speeds and overall score directly correlates with Firmware Version (which the user is unable to update themselves. What you get from the factory you are stuck with).

Least squares linear regression tells me that, like I suspected before, it is the Phison E16 Firmware. Each of the PCIe 4.0 drive manufacturers write their own proprietary controller firmware. Apparently Seagate's version 11 blows monkey balls compared to version 14. This seems to ring true no matter which company make/model 4.0 drive you have. Phison oversees the firmware writing process, but only provides a framework. I'm guessing that the first framework they provided, which is the one I'm stuck with, was ****-tier.

I talked with u/New_Maxx from reddit. He still thinks that the problem is just inherent to all dynamic SLC cache drives, but it can't be 100% true. Under normal circumstances your drive will fill up the entire SLC-Cache (the empty space) on your drive. The space available should be 1/3d the size of your total amount of free space (SLC takes up 3x the space of TLC per byte). My drive is only 10% filled and can't get above 500MB/s (0,5GB/s) write for more than literally 2 seconds directly following a reboot and a drive trim. 500MB/s IS, however, the same exact speed you WOULD get if the SLC cache were full and the drive was folding SLC data into MLC/TLC. Something with their software is bad. With a drive utilization of 10%, I should have 420GB of TLC space, which equates to over 140GB of SLC cache. I should be able to get a sustained write of ~3GB/s for nearly a full minute instead of 2 seconds. Once again, the controller software is to blame. Nothing you do in windows should be able to affect it, unless your problem is that you have high drive utilization (50%+), which is normal. Its b0rked mates.

Will they fix it? Probably not. The next generation of 4.0 drives are coming out emminently. Samsung's 980 pro will be out within a matter of weeks, along with Phison E18 which is a true PCIe 4.0 controller, unlike E16 which is just a bootstrapped POS PCIe 3.0 controller that they jury rigged into being able to work on 4.0

So don't expect a change unless you RMA.

Edited by Greatli

This is BS. stop saying it fixes the issue if you don't know if it does.

Okay so.

Above say 50% drive utilization it is SUPPOSED to tank the speed. This is just a fact of life with dynamic SLC caching. Once the SLC cache is small, it has to fold data into the MLC/TLC NAND from the SLC which slows it down a lot. However, I, and a bunch of other people, experience this problem no matter what utilization %, TRIM status, power settings, Chipset Drivers, or motherboard the drives are plugged into.I got an RMA approval from seagate for my Firecuda 520. I'm just sending it back because the problem is not OS software.

If you check the userbenchmark for my drive, the Firecuda 520 500GB, the write speeds and overall score directly correlates with Firmware Version (which the user is unable to update themselves. What you get from the factory you are stuck with).

Least squares linear regression tells me that, like I suspected before, it is the Phison E16 Firmware. Each of the PCIe 4.0 drive manufacturers write their own proprietary controller firmware. Apparently Seagate's version 11 blows monkey balls compared to version 14. This seems to ring true no matter which company make/model 4.0 drive you have. Phison oversees the firmware writing process, but only provides a framework. I'm guessing that the first framework they provided, which is the one I'm stuck with, was ****-tier.

I talked with u/New_Maxx from reddit. He still thinks that the problem is just inherent to all dynamic SLC cache drives, but it can't be 100% true. Under normal circumstances your drive will fill up the entire SLC-Cache (the empty space) on your drive. The space available should be 1/3d the size of your total amount of free space (SLC takes up 3x the space of TLC per byte). My drive is only 10% filled and can't get above 500MB/s (0,5GB/s) write for more than literally 2 seconds directly following a reboot and a drive trim. 500MB/s IS, however, the same exact speed you WOULD get if the SLC cache were full and the drive was folding SLC data into MLC/TLC. Something with their software is bad. With a drive utilization of 10%, I should have 420GB of TLC space, which equates to over 140GB of SLC cache. I should be able to get a sustained write of ~3GB/s for nearly a full minute instead of 2 seconds. Once again, the controller software is to blame. Nothing you do in windows should be able to affect it, unless your problem is that you have high drive utilization (50%+), which is normal. Its b0rked mates.

Will they fix it? Probably not. The next generation of 4.0 drives are coming out emminently. Samsung's 980 pro will be out within a matter of weeks, along with Phison E18 which is a true PCIe 4.0 controller, unlike E16 which is just a bootstrapped POS PCIe 3.0 controller that they jury rigged into being able to work on 4.0

So don't expect a change unless you RMA.

sounds like you are fishing for a RMA and so disregarding this.

turning of pcie power management works for me in crystal diskmark at 25% fill.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I hate to say it but my solution was to go back to a PCIe 3.0 drive (ADATA 8200). I would rather get a 100% consistent 3300+ MB/s write than the 1000 MB/s I was getting on my gen 4. The results below are after going 3+ weeks without a trim. Perhaps when the next generation of drive controllers is out Ill look into them again.

SSD.PNG.a97872ba9c9ed9115b5137f253cedabb.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have 2 installed MP600 ( 1GB) on an X750 mobo.

1 is used for boot with minimal apps installed the second is with games only.With the second drive i have the right read and write specs with the boot drive its the same like u all. Read 4500 write 1008.And this with only 80 GB used of the 1000 ^^

But then this happens (see picture) What i rlly rlly don't understand why,suddenly the write speed is back,and when rebooting or smt it's back to 1000 ?????????

azUYeVG.jpg

But look at the write speeds from before

69zIxu0.jpg

Edited by ALLSTARR
photo not showing

I guess maybe this is something most ppl already tried but, i was close to writing in this thread about my two MP600 that had bad performance.

Im writing to say, try reinstalling windows fresh, take a backup of the old one or whatever, solved it for me, i guess some clunkyness with drivers

I'm back in the office now, sorry for the delay. The results on ATTO are all over the place, which is concerning. Originally, the SSD dev team were thinking that it was just CDM not playing nicely with the new hardware and giving inaccurate readings, though seeing these ATTO results is alarming.

Additionally, now that I've been testing more SSDs that were sent to me, I haven't yet been able to replicate the issues described (though I did see some odd sequential read behavior). I'm kind of at a loss of what it can be, since the units I've received aren't exhibiting the same slowdowns, even after multiple, back to back runs.

Have any of you tried turning write-back caching on and off?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324805/how-to-manually-turn-disk-write-caching-on-or-off

Running CDM or ATTO as administrator?

install windows + Steams Games...it is not the file size but amount of small files causing the issue

• 3 weeks later...

Been curious about the performance of my own MP600, as I must admit, I don't really notice a big increase in speed, going from a Samsung Pro 256gb (Sata 3) to the Corsair Force NVME PCI-E 4.0.

I assume these speeds are about right?

It's funny how little difference in real world performance there is from the Samsung which was rated at 550Mb/sec read and write to the Corsair which is up to 4920/4500.

2020-08-18.png.e5f7aae23ff97de1071c089bb83e1bad.png

• 1 month later...

hey guys. for me a solution. i have an similar problem with MP510 (60% full)

I copied some videos until 99% full then deleted them(back to 60%) and started following (performance now good again):

Press WIN + X, Press A

paste and run this:

for ($i=1; $i -le 5; $i++) {Set-Variable -Name "imgFN" -Value (-join ((65..90) + (97..122) | Get-Random -Count 32 | % {[char]$_})); fsutil file createnew C:\$imgFN.iso (((Get-PSDrive C | Select-Object Free) -replace "[^0-9]" , '') - 1000000000); del C:\$imgFN.iso}; Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter C -ReTrim -Verbose

Edited by JohnWayne78