Corsair Community

Link not showing all devices

Murphy

H115i, RM1000i, CoPro, RGB hub, or LL140 Fans

Decided I wanted to go all in and dress up my rig best I could. Bit the bullet and water-cooled my CPU after de-lidding. All that stuff.

Recent purchases to finish this project up (lol) were 7 LL140 fans, with a CoPro to link it all up.

Look in Corsair Link: Nada. Only shows the DRAM kit, along with basics like MoBo, CPU, and GPU.

I have deleted every Corsair file I could find, and reinstalled all the latest software. Updated every driver my PC said I could. took it all apart, re-wired my PC and hooked it back up. All the fans light up, and spin. Far as I can tell the pump is working appropriately as well.

CoPro USB to MoBo.

H115i USB to MoBo. (Can't rely on LINK to see it)

RM1000i USB to CoPro.

RGB hub (x2) to CoPro.

LL140 (x4) PWM to CoPro (Push/pull on H115i; hindsight could have gone without due to viewing side of fan but w/e)

LL140 (x3) PWM to MoBo (CPU, Opt and CHA1)

Can anyone lend a hand or tell me what I am missing or how to fix? This is immensely frustrating and for the money spent... pretty disappointing.

Hmmm ... not sure what's going on here.

Can you first go to Link and turn on debugging?

From there, run Link and post the logs. Perhaps they will enlighten us.

Also ... just for giggles, have you tried iCue? Do you get the same behavior there?

Swapped USB connections while checking connector integrity. Seems solid.

Attached file is pic from phone of BIOS settings taken just now.

EDIT: I also changed the BIOS setting from "AUTO" to "ENABLED".

BIOS_USBSettings_25APR2018.thumb.jpg.637c23b2bde28c59adff2985a7dd0078.jpg

This is quite odd.

There's gotta be something here at a system level that we're missing. If it was one device ... it's possible that the device was kerfluffled. But you have 3 devices and none of them are recognized in Windows. And if Windows doesn't see the device, neither Link nor iCue will.

Any device errors in Device Manager?

Did you check the USB Single Port control in your BIOS?

Can you try using a standard mini-USB to USB-A cable and plug the H115i and/or the PSU into a port on the back of the computer?

My assumption would be that somehow both headers were borked but since they still seem to be sending at least power to drive the fans and LEDs... kind of a hard sell.

I did skim through the single port list in BIOS and iirc they all read "ENABLED".

At work so will have to get back to you on the mini to Type-A connection run. Hopefully I have a USB cable with a mini connector on one end! lol

Edit: Typo

Edited by Murphy

Now we are cooking with gas!

Are you a Junkrat main?? ;):

I pulled the H115i's usb cable entirely and connected via mini to type A in the I/O back plate.

Attached is image file of detected and working device in Link And iCue

So ... it sounds like it's either your motherboard headers or your cables. We should be able to test the headers ... do you have Front Panel USB in your case? Or a rear bracket that you can plug into those headers? Do that and see if they are working with any devices.

Mastercase Pro 5. No USB 2.0 on the front panel only 3.0

However I am 85% certain those work, moot point.

Im gonna check my stock of random junk/old parts and also make a run to microcenter. Be about 3 hours.

Are you a Junkrat main?

No sir; haven't played one second of that game

Mastercase Pro 5. No USB 2.0 on the front panel only 3.0

However I am 85% certain those work, moot point.

Question: how are you certain? From what we've seen, there is something wrong with the USB ports, the cables or perhaps it was plugged in incorrectly (one of your headers doesn't have a shield so that's possible). We can't directly test the cables but we can test the port to rule that out. Because it's also somewhat unlikely that you'd have several cables go bad.

So ... two unlikely scenarios, one of which must be true and only one of which we can test ... so let's test the scenario that we can.

Im gonna check my stock of random junk/old parts and also make a run to microcenter. Be about 3 hours.

OK. Only 3 hours? In Microcenter? Good luck ... I can't seem to ever get out of there in the time that I planned. :sigh!:

No sir; haven't played one second of that game

"Now we're cookin' with gas!" is on of the lines that Junkrat says (when he's being boosted).

Had a Rosewill card reader bay expansion laying around .

I connected SATA power, USB 2.0 connector to board, and 3.0 connector to splitter that's connected already. I DID NOT connect sata data cable. Tested a portable Seagate drive at 4 points: 3.0 port on front of case (no data), 3.0 on Rosewill hub (no data), 2.0 on Rosewill hub (no data), and a USB port in the back of the board (registered and could view folders).

Then I connected the 2.0 USB cable to the USB part of the ROG Extension port

Viola!

iCue is now registering every device and currently attempting to update firmware on the CoPro (which I think I regret, stuck at 0% 10 minutes).

So looks like the culprit(s) are the main 2.0 headers (and apparently my 3.0 header is also borked)

Edit: The ports provide power but clearly do not transfer data; my mistake, I clearly had no idea what I was talking about

Edited by Murphy

Oh, now that is certainly unexpected.

Question: did you update the firmware drivers? Install the drivers the Asus site?

It's quite unusual to have all those USB ports totally borked. I mean ... the results speak for themselves but it's unusual.

I did manage to get the CoPro firmware updated. I think I jacked it up initially but a quick reinstall and both programs (Link and iCue) register everything and updated fine.

I did not download anything from the ASUS site for anything.

... you need to get those drivers on; Windows doesn't always install the correct ones.

I installed the most recent chipset driver off of ASUS's website last night, can test the offending headers later tonight. Haven't located any other articles discussing a problem similar to this one. Why would the Extension port (USB part) work but not the standard 2.0 and 3.0 not function?

And it is not even like they don't really function. They clearly pass power through but not data. Which I guess supports your theory of driver/firmware. Hesitant but maybe I should try deleting all USB drivers from the system and reinstalling? Reboot and let Windows do it?

Only 3 hours? In Microcenter? Good luck ... I can't seem to ever get out of there in the time that I planned.

I hear you; I didn't even get to go! By the time I had an opportunity I had 15 mins before when Google said they close and it was a 30 min drive... *sigh*

It could be that the extension port is on a different root hub? I'm not sure why that one works and the other two don't. But yeah ... the power but no data would seem to support that theory. If you installed the chipset drivers last night, I'd test before blasting it from orbit.
  • Confused 1

So doesn't seem to have changed anything. Looks like I might need a new MoBo.

But hey all my Corsair stuff functions now so thats good!

I really appreciate your help and that you kept with it with me! Thanks much.