Corsair Community

Commander Pro Thermal Sensor Placement

tennengr

Do the Commander Pro thermal sensors have any value? Should you really use these to control fans? I feel like I should use them because they came with the CoPro. The information I have read on the internet is "all over the map". Comments such as "they are garbage" to "you need them to accurately check temperatures" are confusing. I cannot find anything on the Corsair website about where to place these and how to place (attach) these!

I plan to call Corsair technical support but I would like hear forum members thoughts.

Hi buddy... I have 2 Commander Pro's in my build and i use all 8 temp probes. I use a couple of them to control air flow and the rest for information including room temp etc.... wouldnt be with out them my self..

Hope this helps

Edited by Zotty

You don’t have to use them. You can assign practical temp sources like GPU temp or coolant in any custom curve. You certainly should do that and not use the default presets tied to cpu temperature.

The probes do have some control value beyond just information. If you set the control group to data that comes from the motherboard (like GPU temp or motherboard temp), the Commander Pro cannot access it if the software isn’t running. This may be most notable on boot. You can place as many probes wherever you like, but 1 or 2 will do it. This was written for a 570x case, but I would give the same recommendation to the 460x with a similar front radiator set up.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=988835&postcount=9

I appreciate both comments. Since this is my 1st build, I will install the 4 Commander Pro thermal sensors to get an idea how to use them. I have my sensor install comments on the attached pdf and welcome thoughts.

The rear exhaust temperature was a great idea and I certainly plan to do that. The 3 other placements are for learning purposes.

1. REAR EXHAUST TEMP

2. CPU FAN INTAKE TEMP

3. HDD RACK AREA TEMP (or possibly M.2 SSD TEMP)

4. COPRO AREA TEMP

Corsair 460X Thermal Sensor Placement.pdf

There really aren't any wrong placements when it comes to information gathering. You can move them around as you see fit. However, the one thing you want to avoid is direct contact with other conductive materials (VRM, m.2 drive). At best it will give you a crazy reading. I won't go into the worst case scenarios, but keep it away from the naked m.2 drive. You will be able read internal m.2 temp (what you really want to know) from iCUE or any other full monitoring software package. Rear exhaust tends to be the most useful for case fan control, with others being good for informational purposes.

Is there any issue of having ICue software up and running in the background all the time? You mention that ICue is a full monitoring software and that it will monitor internal M.2 temp. Does this mean that it monitors anything that the MOBO might have? CPU temp? GPU temp? RAM temp? SATA SSD temp? Did I miss anything?

When I get my build done, I will begin to ask questions about controlling fans which is all I will have for now for cooling.

Note that I am an engineer and this PC building is about as cool a thing I have done in a few years. I'm excited to say the least.

All of the above except some motherboard values. It depends a lot on the board. You won’t get vrm or pch temp with Asus boards. There may be quirks with some others. Of course, the motherboard can’t monitor coolant temp, control peripherals, or RGB fan lighting either. iCUE is meant to be running and you will lose some utility without it, but things still function, just usually with less control or fewer options.

• 2 months later...
just force of habit dude.. have always ran my AIO pump on max

Same here but since I changed from H75 to H115i PRO I had it on balance, I changed it back to Extreme, well the noise is a bit annoying when I'm not using the headphones but I guess I'll get used to it. All in all, so far I've seen 1C lower coolant temp on idle :P I don't know if it's worth it but I think I'll keep it since I know use 9900K. What do you think? Is it worth it? Noise level-coolant temp gain?

1C is about what most people report. The system length is short and with minimal restrictions. You don't get penalized for lower fluid pressure and the difference is coolant trips per minute vs time in the channels kind of balances out. You should use whichever you prefer.

1C is about what most people report. The system length is short and with minimal restrictions. You don't get penalized for lower fluid pressure and the difference is coolant trips per minute vs time in the channels kind of balances out. You should use whichever you prefer.

What is your personal preference c?

Quick question, how do I save as default in iCUE my current settings, cause I can't find the SD-Card icon anywhere

The SD Card icon is for devices that write settings to onboard storage. Not all of them do. When it's available, it'll be in the "hamburger menu".

For things like the LNP, you'll use the Hardware Lighting tab. That'll control the hardware settings for the device - what the RGB does when iCUE isn't running.

If you can be more specific which device(s) you want to save default settings for, we can be more specific with guidance.

The SD Card icon is for devices that write settings to onboard storage. Not all of them do. When it's available, it'll be in the "hamburger menu".

For things like the LNP, you'll use the Hardware Lighting tab. That'll control the hardware settings for the device - what the RGB does when iCUE isn't running.

If you can be more specific which device(s) you want to save default settings for, we can be more specific with guidance.

Corsair Commander Pro and Corsair H115i PRO RGB

On the Commander Pro there are 4 thermal sensors connected, the ML Fans RGB Hub and the Led Strips. While on the hydrocooler there are 4 ML Fans connected to the PUMP.

The CoPro doesn't have a "Save Settings" button. However, as long as your temperature source for your fan curves is one of the temp sensors on the CoPro, it'll run your curve on boot.

For the strips and the fan RGB, that'll be in the "Hardware Lighting" tab.

I think that the Pro cooler has the save icon (in the hamburger) but I don't recall off the top of my head and I don't have one running right now (my son took his/my old Pro cooler to Nebraska with him).

The CoPro doesn't have a "Save Settings" button. However, as long as your temperature source for your fan curves is one of the temp sensors on the CoPro, it'll run your curve on boot.

For the strips and the fan RGB, that'll be in the "Hardware Lighting" tab.

I think that the Pro cooler has the save icon (in the hamburger) but I don't recall off the top of my head and I don't have one running right now (my son took his/my old Pro cooler to Nebraska with him).

I see, last question, is there any way I can run HWINFO while trying to monitor OC temperatures without "destroying" iCUE. It bugs, same happens with AIDA64 monitoring.

Kind regards and thanks for the help so far!

PS. I tried disabling the CoPRO from HWINFO monitor sensor but seems like it still does it. Maybe it's cause of the portable version of HWInfo ? V.6.0.4

No, the portable version is exactly the one you want. It only deploys its drivers when you launch it and retracts them when you close. The permanent install leaves them there.

HWiNFO is a little tricky - In the readout panel, disable any of the Corsair native devices. That's H115i Pro, Commander Pro, and anything else I missed that has Corsair devices. Yes, occasionally they still seem to trip over each other on shared tasks, whatever those are. I try and work this one the other way. I kill the Corsair iCUE app, leaving the service in the background, then load HWiNFO. For that instance, I am able to read the Corsair devices, all my Asus stuff (what I am usually after), plus all the other things. Of course, this only works is the H115i Pro and Commander Pro behave themselves without iCUE running, and that brings us back to where we started with temp probes and coolant temp. As long as the H115i Pro is running on coolant temps and the case fans from T-sensors, they will do their jobs as planned.

I am afraid AIDA is another story. I have never been able to get iCUE and Link 4.9 or later to work together on my Z370. Even with iCUE closed as decribed above, the graphs will pick up weird data. It's usable. I can set fans to a fixed speed and benchmark or run AIDA memory tests, but as a system monitor it's no fun. AIDA was such an iconic presence on my X99 system that I was OK with making a change on the new, but I had a hard time with this one for regular use.

One thing to note with both of the above, even after you quit HWiNFO or AIDA, then relaunch iCUE, things may not be exactly as expected. Dropped devices, funny temps. You need to restart the service from within the app or kill all the services before relaunching again. There still is some interaction in the above, but it is manageable.

Yes, if you want to see the H115i I and C-Pro in HWiNFO. Some possible glitchy temp for the C-Pro readout. If you kill all the Corsair services before launching, there should not be conflict but you won’t see the two Corsair devices.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I know this is somewhat of a older thread, and that I'm kinda late.

But I just purchased a Commander Pro and I was wondering about the Thermal Sensors. I was planning on taking apart my GPU to put better thermal paste on it. While I'm at it, I wanted to stick one of these Sensor's in my GPU's VRM so that I can monitor the temps.

My question is that would these sensors burn up from being too hot? Because I was looking at the Thermal Sensors wire, on the wire it says (AWM 1007 VW-1 80c 300V M TECH). Is the maximum temp limit for these sensors? If the limit is 80c then I cannot put them on any VRM. Just asking here to see if anyone else has done this before and could maybe let me know.

Thanks

No, do not do that. The sensors are meant to measure air temperature. Any kind of metal to sensor contact is going to give junk readings in return. A worst case scenario is actual damage from trying to slide into a piece of hardware. If you have an EVGA card that shares this data with X1, great. For everyone else you’d have to use a thermal camera or something exotic. There are some GPUs that do have a second sensor that is read by Aida, HWiNFO, etc.

For the Commander Pro and fan regulation, you can get an exhaust air temp from above or behind to guide the rear fan. It doesn’t need to be a direct hardware reading to have value. Anything with a decent range will work.