Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same problem here, yesterday worked fine but today I have "overclock failed" QLED 41 CODE an CPU_LED red, if I disable XMP everything works fine.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII, BiosV: 1902

CPU: i7 6700K 4,2GHZ VCore: 1.136V

RAM: Memorie Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R)

DRAMV: 1.350V

VCCIO: 1.160V (Auto)

VCCSA: 1.160V (Auto)

Edited by PCodrin

Same problem here, yesterday worked fine but today I have "overclock failed" QLED 41 CODE an CPU_LED red, if I disable XMP everything works fine.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VIII, BiosV: 1902

CPU: i7 6700K 4,2GHZ VCore: 1.136V

RAM: Memorie Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R)

DRAMV: 1.350V

VCCIO: 1.160V (Auto)

VCCSA: 1.160V (Auto)

Try clicking the "No" button at the next screen after choosing XMP. That will give you XMP Mode 1 (compatibility) instead of Mode 2 (enhanced) timings. Most people just press enter at the next screen after choosing XMP and end up with enhanced timings since "Yes" is the default.

One can also avoid enhanced timings by entering the XMP parameters manually as recommended by another person previously. Enhanced timings will give better performance but should be avoided if there are stability issues.

Edit: (Extreme Tweaker)/(DRAM Timing Control)/(Maximus Tweak) allows one to switch between XMP Mode 1 and 2 at anytime on these ROG boards.

Edited by Eldata
More info

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I had updated the bios to V702 and did not change much when running the ram with XMP profile at advertised speed it will not boot even after many tries and ram voltage changes, but I did some changes in the timings and at 3100mhz and V1.35 and got same benchmark speeds in AIDA 64 as I had at 3200 16-18-36-2, the timings are 14-14-35-1 and very stable and had them for some time now at least two months, I am now testing 14-14-34-1 and have higher bandwidth than at 3200, also in bios MCH check I disabled it, when applying these settings for first time in bios they might not stick immediately on first reboot but click on reset if stuck and next boot should be good and usually remains booting with these settings, sometimes it might not boot immediately but its rear. :biggrin:

Edited by chrmica

After reading this thread I was hesitant to buy a kit of

Corsair Vengeance LPX Red DDR4 PC25600/3200MHz CL16 2x8GB

(CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R)

As I also have the Asus X170 pro gaming board.

But i decided to give them a try anyway, and found out I have absolutely no problem with them at all.

I have the latest bios and running them in XMP works flawlessly.:sunglasse

haviing simalar issues using a z170 deluxe first time i auto oc got 4.6 cpu/3877ram .......32 g kit was over joyed but short lived got stable after mutchhhhhhhh tuning 4.7/3000; 32 g kit this is a quad packed kit for 32g/3773

anny tips on getiing this thing stable @ speeds closer to the rams capability h80iv2 cooler 6700k using latest bios , codes i have gotten are 41 55 f4 thinkabout throwing a titan xp in and want the best ram setting ironed out before also is there anny chance that sum one might know if kabby lake 7700k.. well suport faster speeds for ram? or when the next bios well come out to tighten up this issue, yes ive tred messing with voltages of all kinds...

Edited by noahfrog26

Well I should have read this forum before I bought corsair vengeance + asus Z170 pro gaming...

I bought 2x8Go of corsair vengeanceCMK16GX4M2B3000C15, using XMP profile.

Asus Z170 pro gaming using BIOS 1904

i7 6700k (no OC, not yet :) )

GTX 1080

PSU : RMX550X

Most of the time my PC will boot up into windows. When it does my games are not 100% stable as I get TDR error 4101 at some point (graphic driver has stopped responding and have successfully recovered).

But now and then, PC won't boot...

DRAM LED is on which indicates some kind of a problem with DRAM.

I tried using default settings (2133 Mhz) and sure enough it boots up normally.

Then I tried lowering the OC on memory : 2800 Mhz CPU will or will not boot; 2600 Mhz PC boots fine

@ 3000 Mhz Memtest86+ show no error after 3 passes

@ 3000 Mhz (when it's actually booting up into windows) : OCCT linpack stable for 1 hour.

I'm lost from there.

Should I send back the memory module ?

Should I get another brand ?

Should I stick with lower OC ?

Could it be another problem ?

Last question : looks like Asus released another BIOS v2003. Someone tried it ?

Edited by Nairek

after leaving my sysem oc@ 4.7 /2961ram for a few days decided to retry the xmp on the easy oc screen booted up no coeds profile 1 xmp 3733hz =) just seemed like a driver updated in back ground or luck maybe it acKLIMATED ANNY HOW ITS RUNNING NICE NOW yay! 4.6cpu/ 3733 ram 32gb! spiking over 4ksum times huge oc considering only a moddest cooler h80i v2 Edited by noahfrog26

Just finished a new build with the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-3000 CL15 RAM. The boot problems with XMP enabled brought me here. Funny thing is: I flashed the 2003 BIOS before doing anything else and I still encountered the boot problem.

However, upping the SA and IO voltage by 0.02v let me boot 5 times in a row without problem. Will observe and report. Other feedback with the new Z170 BIOS is appreciated.

Well I'm back with sad news...

After few days booting fine with XMP profile (cold boot or reset) today the dreaded Overclocking failed came back 5 times in a row before I decided to lower the OC.

I can boot fine when I apply those settings:

choose XMP then lower the memory frequency from 3000 Mhz to 2666 Mhz and without changing timings nor Dram voltage.

I'll try to up SA and IO with +0.02V like Merkor proposed...

Hello Guys,

I have similar issue with my pc.

My config is:

- I7 6700K

- Asus Z170 Gaming Pro

- 16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX

- GTX 1060 X Gaming

- Be quiet! 600W System Power 8

I put the memory is A2 and B2 slots. At 2133 MHz everything works fine. Problems begin at 3000 Mhz. I tried to change VCCIO and VCCSA. The computer operates stable for voltages 1.225 (VCCIO) and 1.275 (VCCS), but I'm afraid it's too much.

At the lower voltage VCCIO and VCCS computer works well, no resets etc. But when I turn it off or reset sometimes I get a black screen.

Do you have any ideas?

Sorry for my english, I'm working on it.

Cheers :D

Well I'm back with sad news...

After few days booting fine with XMP profile (cold boot or reset) today the dreaded Overclocking failed came back 5 times in a row before I decided to lower the OC.

I can boot fine when I apply those settings:

choose XMP then lower the memory frequency from 3000 Mhz to 2666 Mhz and without changing timings nor Dram voltage.

I'll try to up SA and IO with +0.02V like Merkor proposed...

Tried it and it's a no go...

For now I'm staying @ 2666Mhz 16-18-18-35 1.2V.

Boots fine and more quickly than it does when XMP 3000 Mhz is set and able to post. Funny thing is DRAM LED stays on longer with 3000 Mhz than it does with 2666 Mhz when it actually boots.

I'll try G.SKILL TRIDENTZ 3200Mhz ram modules this week end.

If those G.SKILL modules boot fine I'll send back those vengeance LPX (still within 30 days after purchase)

Hello! I changed my mobo to a asus z170 A and the problem is still there!

Now i changed the ram to Kingston 3000mhz and enabled xmp and the system has been stable ever since.. lots of division and bf 1 and its running super.. i5 6600k @ 4.4

Hi all,

I have a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 3, with Corsair 2x8 GB CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I've also experienced EXACTLY the same problems when I first built my PC.

The machine failed to post, constantly boot-cycled, with no power to USB devices (mice / kb etc...).

The only way I could get it to work is pulling out one of the 8GB modules, so I'm running 8GB and not 16. I thought initially the RAM was faulty!

I'm also running F6 motherboard BIOS (latest).

Any ideas / updates on this one? Do I bin the RAM and buy different sticks?

Running One of the modules in the last SLOT

Thats the only way i can get it work.

I will look up what brand that will work on the Z170 ASUS motherboard because clearly Corsair is not capable of adjusting this problem.

Thats sad because i really really want Corsair as my memoryprovider.

The Modules is MK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Same as Fademan´s) Also same motherboard.

Hi all,

I have a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 3, with Corsair 2x8 GB CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

I've also experienced EXACTLY the same problems when I first built my PC.

The machine failed to post, constantly boot-cycled, with no power to USB devices (mice / kb etc...).

The only way I could get it to work is pulling out one of the 8GB modules, so I'm running 8GB and not 16. I thought initially the RAM was faulty!

I'm also running F6 motherboard BIOS (latest).

Any ideas / updates on this one? Do I bin the RAM and buy different sticks?

I'd like to know if I can somehow exchange my RAM here through corsair directly?

I bought it through amazon, but I don't want to risk an exchange there in case I just receive another random faulty set...

My RAM is (16gb) two sticks of (8gb) CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R and it will not work with XMP enabled.

Hello Guys,

I have similar issue with my pc.

My config is:

- I7 6700K

- Asus Z170 Gaming Pro

- 16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX

- GTX 1060 X Gaming

- Be quiet! 600W System Power 8

I put the memory is A2 and B2 slots. At 2133 MHz everything works fine. Problems begin at 3000 Mhz. I tried to change VCCIO and VCCSA. The computer operates stable for voltages 1.225 (VCCIO) and 1.275 (VCCS), but I'm afraid it's too much.

At the lower voltage VCCIO and VCCS computer works well, no resets etc. But when I turn it off or reset sometimes I get a black screen.

Do you have any ideas?

Sorry for my english, I'm working on it.

Cheers :D

Hello guys,

I found solution for my problem. I will describe it here, maybe will be helpful for someone.

First of all I loaded default settings in BIOS.

Next I placed memories in slots A1 and B1. In BIOS in AUTO profile I set DRAM Voltage at 1.35, VCCIO at 1.075 and VCCSA at 1.16. This wasn't stable in 100% (sometimes doesn't boot correctly), so I've been increasing the voltages by 0.05.

Finally I achieved stability with voltages:

DRAM 1.37 (Motherboard shows 1.38)

VCCIO 1.16 (Motherboard shows 1.18)

VCCSA 1.19 (Motherboard shows 1.20)

I switched profile to XMP with voltages above.

No errors in Memtest, no errors in Prime95. 100% boot up ! :D