Corsair Community

Corsair AX860I went Pop

Millis Baker

Hello. last night i decided to rebuild my PC in a new Case. i had the old one for 5 years and wanted to go with a new case.

Install went pretty smooth. didnt really change anything, used all the same wiring as i did before.

Went to test the PC to make sure it booted. and it did!. i got to the desktop. and i wanted to make sure the front panel connectors were working. so i tested all the USB's and then tried the restart button.

PC turned off and was mid boot. pretty sure i got past motherboard screen. when i heard a POP and an electrical smell. the PC was no longer on and i let out a scream.

the smell was coming from the AX860I, so i took it out of the case and unplugged all the connections. i tried the self test function with nothing plugged in. the green last comes on and the fan spins for about 3 seconds.

So is this PSU smoked? do i need to buy a new one or is this something a warranty would cover?

and what are the chances my entire rig is destroyed?

i was afraid to try turning the PC on after the pop. as i didnt want to cause more harm to my PC.