Corsair Community

iCue doesn't detect

Aescleal

Hi, I bought a new Corsair CL-9011110-WW Fan Controller Commander Pro Temperature Monitor. Hopes are it will control my out-of-control case and cpu fans.

Plugged in, it slows things down nicely, but it's not variable speed at all. Turns out, I can't seem to get connected to the Fan Controller at all.

Seems the iCue software can't connect to it maybe?

I have two USB headers on my motherboard. They are 8-pin headers (rare I know).

Is there a way to get this working? Or did I just through my money away? This was such a great idea, until I put eyes on the usb plug on the fan controller.

(( sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, please redirect me if necessary ))

Edited by Aescleal

What motherboard do you have?

Hi DevBiker.

It's an older board that I inherited, and didn't know much about.

IEI, KINO-QM670-R20

https://www.icpamerica.com/uploads/product_usermanual/KINO-QM670_UMN_v1.00.pdf Page 38 - USB Connector Pinout Location

I've always used it as a home server, great for Plex and file server, but after updating the BIOS (big mistake), the PWM fan control stopped working. And since it's an old discontinued board... no support. And yes, I did walk back the BIOS, but it didn't help. That's why I chose to get a fan controller, and this one sounds great. The controller was meant to buy me a couple more years before I have to upgrade to a new motherboard.

I didn't realize how proprietary this motherboard is. I inherited it...

Edited by Aescleal

Ugh, I'm at wits end. Sorry.

Is there maybe a 9-pin (male) to usb cable that may work for this? Is it even possible to just plug the usb end into a normal usb port and make it work, or does it have to be plugged into the header? This board has a couple each usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

At first, I thought maybe there was a hardware reason it had to be plugged into the header, but now I'm thinking it was because it's meant to be housed internally. It would be nice, at least in my case, if I could house it externally and plug it into one of my usb ports.

Ugh, I'm at wits end. Sorry.

Is there maybe a 9-pin (male) to usb cable that may work for this? Is it even possible to just plug the usb end into a normal usb port and make it work, or does it have to be plugged into the header? This board has a couple each usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

At first, I thought maybe there was a hardware reason it had to be plugged into the header, but now I'm thinking it was because it's meant to be housed internally. It would be nice, at least in my case, if I could house it externally and plug it into one of my usb ports.

You can; you'd need an adapter. The CoPro actually uses 2 USB ports (the full header). One of them is for the controller part of the device and the other one is for the second USB Hub. If you aren't interested in the hub, then you really only need a single port.

• Confused 1

You can; you'd need an adapter. The CoPro actually uses 2 USB ports (the full header). One of them is for the controller part of the device and the other one is for the second USB Hub. If you aren't interested in the hub, then you really only need a single port.

Hi @DevBiker. Can you show me what a CoPro is? I don't find anything like a USB adapter by that name from Google.

Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4QZW57/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AQ8OIL3FGVKZE&psc=1

I'm hoping if I plug the header end into the iCue Fan Controller and the USB A end into a USB 2.0 port, the Fan Controller will be visible and I'll be able to manage the Fan Controller.

You see, as is right now, I can't manage the Controller, presumable because the USB header isn't able to read any feedback from the Fan Controller over the 8-pin header. I'm worried that buying yet another "thing" that doesn't work is just pouring more money into a failed project. But if Windows 10 can read the Fan Controller through the USB 2.0 port on the back of my computer, then maybe it'll be okay.

That one should work and I use that exact cable to connect my AX1200i to the back instead of to the Commander Pro and so I can quickly disconnect/connect it for other reasons.

CoPro is an inferior short-hand reference to the Commander Pro. It lacks both the sophistication and elegance of "C-Pro" used by those with higher reputations. This is just one more example of why those who use it should switch. :sunglasse

Great, thanks DevBiker and c-attack!

Okay, so let me get this right.

I'd plug the USB header plug from the Commander Pro into this new cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q4QZW57/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AQ8OIL3FGVKZE&psc=1

Then, that can be plugged into any USB 2.0 A port on my computer case.

Please Please Please correct me if I'm wrong here than....

This will in-turn allow Windows to recognize the Commander Pro as a device, and I can then manage the Commander Pro and set my own fan speeds to each fan plugged into the CoPro?

That'd be great, and sounds like what I'm looking for.

Yes, that will allow you to plug it into any Type A port. The 9 pin thing can be a little confusing. Make sure you line up the red wires on each end when you connect them. Hard to see in the pictures. Much easier when in your hands.

Hopefully this gets the device recognized. It's hard to know why it is not currently, but internal hubs can be finicky.

Once recognized, you should have individual control over the fans from within iCUE.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...