Corsair Community

Corsair H115i Platinum Not Detected - ML Fans turn off when listed as ML Fans in iCue

-HotIce-

Hi, everyone. I am honestly not sure where to post this. If it's in the wrong forum, please move it.

I've thrown the kitchen sink at this and I honestly just need some help at this point. I have two problems.

I have a Corsair H115i Platinum and iCue will not detect it. The RGB lighting on the pump and the fans are all functional, and the fans are spinning at max speed and I can't turn them down. I have an Obsidian 500D SE and the RGB Hub and a Commander Pro came with it. I have an Asus Crosshair Hero VII motherboard with a Ryzen 2700x. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. iCue is updated.

This is what I've done:

Plugged MicroUSB cable from pump into USB 2.0 header directly on motherboard.

Plugged in MicroUSB cable from pump into the Commander Pro USB.

Plugged a MicroUSB cable from pump into USB port. (I got an error that said the device is not recognized.)

Plugged in the MicroUSB cable into my AIO Pump header on my Mobo.

Problem 2:

I have six ML Magnetic bearing fans. In iCue, if I list my fans as ML fans, all the RGB lighting will go out but as soon as I change them to LL fans, they'll turn back on. I don't have any LL fans in my case. They're ALL ML fans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at whits end.

Immediate short term solution is the pull the two fan power wires from the splitter on the pump and put them on your motherboard. Normal BIOS or software fan control will take over. That should do for the time being and give some peace of mind while working on the non-recognition issue. I am little worried about the non-recognition when routed around to the back I/O panel. Also, the fans really should not ramp up to max when its not detected. They should still be running from the internal temp sensor and that is the part that is concerning -- they are running hard because the coolant is hot. It should not be. Do you get any kind of speed reading off the motherboard header with the H115i Plat?

As for the ML lighting issue, make sure in the Lighting Set-up it is set to ML and 6 fans. The program literally counts LEDs, so 6 x 4 LED ML equals 1.5 x LL 16 LED fans. Flip flopping fans may alter your lighting. Check in the panel. Every time I switch between HD, LL, and ML, I need to go back and tweak the lighting application to the fans themselves because of the different LED count. The ML/LL fans on the Platinum coolers will run from a separate lighting controller on the unit, if that is where you plugged the two lighting wires in.

Immediate short term solution is the pull the two fan power wires from the splitter on the pump and put them on your motherboard. Normal BIOS or software fan control will take over. That should do for the time being and give some peace of mind while working on the non-recognition issue. I am little worried about the non-recognition when routed around to the back I/O panel. Also, the fans really should not ramp up to max when its not detected. They should still be running from the internal temp sensor and that is the part that is concerning -- they are running hard because the coolant is hot. It should not be. Do you get any kind of speed reading off the motherboard header with the H115i Plat?

As for the ML lighting issue, make sure in the Lighting Set-up it is set to ML and 6 fans. The program literally counts LEDs, so 6 x 4 LED ML equals 1.5 x LL 16 LED fans. Flip flopping fans may alter your lighting. Check in the panel. Every time I switch between HD, LL, and ML, I need to go back and tweak the lighting application to the fans themselves because of the different LED count. The ML/LL fans on the Platinum coolers will run from a separate lighting controller on the unit, if that is where you plugged the two lighting wires in.

I was a little concerned about the error message I got about the device not being detected. I've submitted a ticket to Corsair yesterday but haven't gotten a response yet.

The fans spin to max the second I turn on my computer. My CPU package fluctuates to almost 50 degrees C and that is with no load. I've already plugged in the header into the CPU fan header and I'm not able to control them from the BIOS, but I will go and recheck.

c-attack, I think I found the issue with the fans. I installed the regular Link program tonight and it is reporting CPU temps of 80 degrees Celsius

iCue was reporting CPU temps between 27 degrees Celsius and 49 degrees Celsius. I think I have bigger problems. I think I may have a defective unit.

c-attack, I think I found the issue with the fans. I installed the regular Link program tonight and it is reporting CPU temps of 80 degrees Celsius

iCue was reporting CPU temps between 27 degrees Celsius and 49 degrees Celsius. I think I have bigger problems. I think I may have a defective unit.

Link doesn't report the correct temperature for the 2XXX series Ryzens. iCUE does.

Link doesn't report the correct temperature for the 2XXX series Ryzens. iCUE does.

iCue said the same thing. I got a spike at 97 degrees C at which point, I shut down the computer. This entire ordeal has been very frustrating. I submitted a ticket to Corsair more than 24 hours ago and I haven't gotten a reply back. My Mobo was telling me CPU was at 27 degrees after I rebooted into BIOS.

I chose Corsair because I *thought* the quality of the products were going to be better. Boy, was I wrong. I thought buying a case from Corsair and all Corsair products would make life easy and that wasn't the case at all.

My case fans that came with the Obsidian 500D SE still won't turn on when they're listed as ML fans (which is what they are)and only light up if I tell iCue that I have LL fans and my Platinum H115i is basically worthless with fans spinning at 4,500 all the time and iCue not detecting it.

From what I'm reading on these forums, Corsair is in no rush to give us a solution to this problem either, promising an update to be released in three weeks on April 22nd. In my opinion, that's unacceptable. Get the software out to your users ASAP.

Looks like I'll be going Thermaltake for my own build this summer. You can say I'm kind of disappointed.

P.S. C-Attack, even when I list that I have 6 ML fans, they still won't light up. Only if I put them as LL fans will the RGB start to work.

Edited by -=Hot|Ice=-

... and my Platinum H115i is basically worthless with fans spinning at 4,500 all the time and iCue not detecting it.

That's interesting because in the BIOS settings, my motherboard also reports that the H100i Platinum fans are always spinning at ~4500 rpm, when they clearly aren't. However, iCUE reports the correct fan rpm values, and my custom speed curve works fine. There is obviously some mis-reporting of the fan speed going on somewhere.

So the BIOS does not see any device at all on the motherboard fan header? No speed reading for the pump? The BIOS will never read the fan speed from the H115i Plat controller, so anything you see is a derivative of the pump speed. Anything is good. 0 is bad. BIOS should be able to accurately read CPU temps. If you see a steady climb (45-50-55-60...) while in there, shut down. That means the pump is not moving coolant. You might also physically feel the tubes. Coolant should be more or less room temp when you turn it on or +4-7C above when running idle. If they feeling noticeably warm to hot or if one is hot and one is cool, that is a definite issue. I have some concerns the pump is DOA and not moving anything.

I was a little concerned about the error message I got about the device not being detected. I've submitted a ticket to Corsair yesterday but haven't gotten a response yet.

The fans spin to max the second I turn on my computer. My CPU package fluctuates to almost 50 degrees C and that is with no load. I've already plugged in the header into the CPU fan header and I'm not able to control them from the BIOS, but I will go and recheck.

The CPU fan header on Platinum coolers is only there to reports a fake pump speed when it's working (if a speed is reported, the pump is working, if it is 0, the pump is dead) so you can use it on motherboards that require a reported "CPU fan" speed to boot without errors (and is also handy if the pump stops working as it would report 0 RPM and thus the mainboard would throw an error). It doesn't do anything else, there is no control or anything. The reported fake speed has been set to around 4500-5000 RPM since some (older) motherboards won't detect lower speeds on the CPU fan header.

If you want to read fan speeds while the fans are connected to the H115i RGB Platinum, you'll either have to use iCue or the latest version of HWInfo64 (don't run them at the same time, though, it will cause problems with the readings). Or you can connect your fans directly to your mainboard, then the mainboard will be able to control the fans and read out their speed. You should be able to use HWInfo64, CoreTemp etc.. to monitor your CPU temperatures as well, by the way.

As for the error message...if you are running Steam (or some other program that accesses the USB bus similar to how Steam does it searching for controllers) on Windows Startup, turn it off. Steam is one of the programs that likes to trigger iCue crashes with Platinum coolers, which again causes iCue to restart. On startup, iCue always disconnects then reconnects the cooler, which can cause the USB driver to crash completely and then you get the error message you describe. Until the "USB Disconnect" problems with Platinum coolers and iCue are fixed, you are better/safer off using the workaround linked in my signature.

If that doesn't help and you have a regular micro USB to USB-A cable lying around (like from a phone charger, etc.), you can try plugging it into the Cooler and the other end to an USB 3.x port on the outside of the mainboard and see if that helps. If it does, then your (internal) USB 2.0 header might not be able to provide enough bandwith/power for the cooler for whatever reason. Might be a mainboard problem or a driver problem, etc..

If nothing above helps, try a different iCue version. 3.9.93 and later should recognize Platinum coolers. Link, Cue or earlier iCue version will not.

No it doesn't. It comes with LL fans. So does the H115i cooler. The included fans are NOT ML fans.
While that may be true for the case (in which case Hot Ice needs to naturally set his case fans to LL for lighting to work), he has the H115i RGB Platinum cooler that does indeed come with ML-140 Pro RGB LED fans (albeit the special High-Performance 2100 RPM version...which I guess should be called ML-140 Platinum RGB LED, even though it's usually referred to as Pro).

On a side note, Corsair, it might be a good idea to have more distinctive model names for your coolers and fans instead of being so confusing (as you can see by the quote above, even your staff gets confused by these names and is thus giving out wrong information!)? Instead of having H1xxi RGB Platinum/Pro RGB/regular, can't you just add a letter for the series in front? Like H1115i for the original H115i, H2115i for the H115i Pro RGB, H3115i for the H115i RGB Platinum etc.. I know it's hard to impossible for this to be done retroactively, but you should at least consider it for future models. Same for fans, by the way (it's so confusing that people think the 1200RPM versions of ML-140 Pro RGB LED fans that you can buy separately are the same as the 2100RPM versions that come with the Platinum coolers).

It might be a good idea to re-evaluate the job(s) of the person(s) responsible for coming up with these confusing naming schemes and maybe find a more suitable department for them.

People that aren't "in the know" - which I'd assume is the case for most of your customers - don't realize that what they think is a H115i isn't a H115i or that there are different series/models of them and that the "RGB Platinum", "Pro RGB" or whatever other suffix is also important to distinguish them from each other and that in many cases they are even completely different devices made by different OEMs.

Edited by Glzmo

• Corsair Employee

Haha I became confused because I verified against the white h100i https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Dual-Radiator-Liquid-Coolers/Hydro-Series™-H100i-RGB-PLATINUM-SE-240mm-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060041-WW

I can't say much for your other comment, I don't really work in those departments, but I can certainly pass on the feedback. TBC, not being dismissive, just saying I can't personally comment on it.

Regardless, it's a good post @hotice for helping fix your detection issue.

According to this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Software-Control-and-Monitoring-Cases/Obsidian-Series-500D-RGB-SE-Premium-Mid-Tower-Case/p/CC-9011139-WW#tab-tech-specs

it comes with 3x LL120 RGB included.

The H115i Platinum does come with ML.

The cyclomatic complexity for determining which fans come with what product is approaching 200.

• Confused 1

How can I get my case fans to sit at 800 - 1000 RPM when in quiet mode in iCue? Trying to do this without creating a new profile. Case fans keep going from 1,100 RPM to 1,500 RPM in quiet mode. They're always fluctuating. Edited by -=Hot|Ice=-

How can I get my case fans to sit at 800 - 1000 RPM when in quiet mode in iCue? Trying to do this without creating a new profile. Case fans keep going from 1,100 RPM to 1,500 RPM in quiet mode. They're always fluctuating.

That’s because your cpu temp is constantly fluctuating and it is the control variable for the default curves. This is typical of any cpu from that last 3-4 years. You need to make a new fan profile. Click the little + in the performance tab. Pick something else besides cpu temp as a sensor value (GPU temp might work). Set the curve points to an appropriate range. Click on the new fan curve name to make it highlight yellow. Then click all the fans on the right you want to apply it to. They will ring yellow to let you know that is the curve in use.

Well, Amazon sent me a new pump and that fixed the fans going to max. Pump was dead.

Everything else has been resolved with help from Corsair Support. My final question here is, how hard should the pump be working? It currently spins at 2,048 RPM in quiet mode and stays there.

Edited by -=Hot|Ice=-