View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979895
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 104

The EXT (external fan) header is for a separate fan "card" Asus sells. It's basically a fan hub that slaves 3 more fans to one header. There usually are some limitations, but it varies between board models. I suspect you can run another fan from the m.2 slot and not just some little 40mm model, but you won't need to. Yes, I do think you should get a Commander Pro for all this. It simplifies a few things, provides fan control for 6, 2 more USB 2.0 ports, and will put fan control on the desktop in the iCUE app, instead of the BIOS.

The Commander Pro will cover all your fans. The 3 ML-Quiet that come with the H150i can go on the cooler's fan controller and will be controllable in iCUE. The 6 LL then go on the 6 ports of the C-Pro. That's all 9 fans, software controllable with the same or different variables on a per fan basis. You will also be able to jack the H150i USB into the C-Pro and another Lighting Node Pro if needed. That should cover it. If you don't get a C-Pro, you have something of a dilemma. The CPU and OPT headers are mirrors of each other and only do CPU temp control. You don't want case fans running off CPU temp. The H150i will plug into CPU fan, but only to prevent boot error and provide a BIOS speed signal. That makes OPT worthless. You then have two chassis fan headers for 6 fans. At 0.30A each, using 3 on a splitter is a bit risky with a 1.0A header limit. I don't recommend it. Given the total expense of everything involved, getting the Commander Pro solves a lot of problems for a relatively low cost.

The SATA cables in question for the RGB stuff are of the power variety, like what supplies power to your HDD/SSDs, not the data transmission 6GB/s kind that goes into the motherboard. You should have plenty of those, although you will surely need another 3 SATA ribbon coming off your power supply. The C-Pro, LNP, H150i, and the LL's RGB Lighting Hub all require their own SATA power connector. They do not need to be on the same connector. This is power supply only.