Corsair Community

A question about LS100, ambient lighting and iCue

rene mauricio

Since as far back as I can remember, we have been asking for a way to use our Corsair RGB equipment as a source of ambient lighting that syncs with what's on screen. It would seem that now with the introduction of the LS100, that we might actually get this feature.

I say "might" because I'm wondering if the only Corsair product that will support this feature is the LS100 unit or if it will extent to all current / past RGB products. The preview video on your site highly suggests that only the LS100 syncs with our on screen display.

https://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/pdp/ls100/videos/LS_Movie.mp4

I for one sincerely hope that this feature is supported across all of your products and aren't nickel and dimed into buying new RAM, Fans, AIOs, Keyboards, Mice and so on (read; PRO ++) just so we can have this feature on something else besides a light strip.

The video and audio lighting features are LS100 for now. I am sure it is possible to add those features into iCUE for other products, but there would surely be a cost in terms of CPU usage --- one of the larger complaints. It would not require new hardware. However, the intricacies of making the rest of the case respond to on screen lighting seem a bit of a puzzle. The case will either sit left or right of the screen. So how do you define behavior? The whole thing changes with the right side of the screen? That would be a little jarring. Individual control of each device seems ridiculous. I don't know.. how much can you visually process in one moment? My 3440x1440 ultrawide takes all of my attention. Having the case flash on my right periphery would drive me nuts.

**You can tie the LS100 effects into the rest of your system through the normal lighting link options. That does make everything sync together, but it will not respond to on screen lighting. That is a separate setting.

Edited by c-attack

C-Attack is right.

I would also like to add it is almost like a Lighting Node Pro with a manual button for when your PC is off to disable lighting as it defaults to HW Mode profile. It also comes with external power supply. It is similar and more refined than the external LNP mod I did a video on a while ago: [ame]

[/ame]

The only difference in terms of added Software features is the addition of the screen syncing for the LS-100.

The strips themselves look pretty cool, though I would honestly prefer the LS-100 strips in my case and use non-diffused LNP strips behind my monitor. The strips can be swapped between the LS-100, LNP, and CoPro.

The strips can be swapped between the LS-100, LNP, and CoPro.

they can but Video and Audio Lighting and other sequential effects would play wrong due to LED density/count being completely different betweem LS100 strips and Pro Lighting strips.

Pro Lighting Strips = 10 LEDS

LS 100 strips are 15 LEDS in the short strip and 27 LEDs in the long strip.

to add.. would be easy to overload a nopro or copro with LS strips.... risky for the unaware.....

and

if the OP needs everything music/video reactive... Wallpaper engine does that....

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Zotty

But I assume we could use regular (WS2812B) stripes with the LS100-Node, right?

yes.. but it wont let you tell iCUE that... iCUE will be wanting 15 LED or 27 LED strips... Video Lighting (its main purpose in life) will not play correctly for a start

Edited by Zotty

However, the intricacies of making the rest of the case respond to on screen lighting seem a bit of a puzzle. The case will either sit left or right of the screen. So how do you define behavior?

That would be easy enough. Tell iCue that your PC is on the left or right and have it display the average color nearest that side of your monitor. You don't need to tell it the placement of all of your lights, just treat your PC as one single light source. Same goes for your keyboard and mouse. Tell it that both of these are to display the average color of the bottom of your screen. Something like this;

[ame]

[/ame]

if the OP needs everything music/video reactive... Wallpaper engine does that....

Does that application only apply coloring to the wallpaper or everything on screen? If it's only the wallpaper then I fail to see how your suggestion is of any help as it's not what we have been requesting for years now.

[ame]

[/ame]

That's from 2015, by the way.

The cynic in me says that this feature will only ever be present on the new LS100 until they release newer RAM, KB&Ms, Fans and the like that connect to a new, proprietary, hub. Making the LNP, CP and all of our current hardware obsolete.

I don't know about any of you but I think it's stupid that iCue will have screen grabbing capabilities but not sync it up with any other hardware. For the record; it isn't a question of IF our current setups can do it (because they can). It's a question of why do I need extra software when iCue should handle it.

My current setup (pre-black friday)

[ame]

[/ame]

And before anyone asks; NO I'm not using "iHue". It's vaporware as far as I know

I love the LS100 as far for what I've seen until now. I'm currently using Philips Hue Sync App with 2x Hue Play (behind display) and 1x Hue Lightstrip (behind desk). Unfortunately Hue Sync App only lets your Hue hardware sync with the "main color" on your display (all LEDs together with one color at a time).

Am I right that LS100 syncs single LEDs with different colors?

And is it possible to rebuild my setup (as written above) with LS100(s)? Means is it possible to setup multiple (two) LS100 kits in iCue (one kit behind the display and one kit completely horizontally behind the desk)?

Edited by TackDaniels

I love the LS100 as far for what I've seen until now. I'm currently using Philips Hue Sync App with 2x Hue Play (behind display) and 1x Hue Lightstrip (behind desk). Unfortunately Hue Sync App only lets your Hue hardware sync with the "main color" on your display (all LEDs together with one color at a time).

Am I right that LS100 syncs single LEDs with different colors?

And is it possible to rebuild my setup (as written above) with LS100(s)? Means is it possible to setup multiple (two) LS100 kits in iCue (one kit behind the display and one kit completely horizontally behind the desk)?

hi bud

yes its syncs each LED individually and just one kit can do what you want.. it has 2 channels. 1 can be used as monitor lighting and one can be used as desk lighting. this i how i have mine set up.. you would need to buy the extra expansion pack strips though.

until they release newer RAM, KB&Ms, Fans and the like that connect to a new, proprietary, hub. Making the LNP, CP and all of our current hardware obsolete.

not happening mate. they will not kill off an entire range of devices for one software feature dude.. especially as we know... it a software thing

hi bud

yes its syncs each LED individually and just one kit can do what you want.. it has 2 channels. 1 can be used as monitor lighting and one can be used as desk lighting. this i how i have mine set up.. you would need to buy the extra expansion pack strips though.

Awesome, thank you!

How are the single LEDs synced? I mean, what exactly is used as source for the colors? Different parts of the display, maybe the quarters of a matrix structure etc?

Is there any cpu impact data available yet for the dynamic mode? Obviously it's reasonable to have some kind of impact...but any indication how well optimised this is?

next to nothing from what i am seeing buddy

i currently have it playing some 4k footage off of youtube in video lighting mode. chrome open on another screen with maybe 10 tabs open. iCUE dash on another screen. my 8700k is sitting at around 9% in total. this is including iCUE controlling 32 LL fans/50+ strips/Hydro X dual loop rgb and various back ground programs.. afterburner/streamdeck to mention a few

The cynic in me says that this feature will only ever be present on the new LS100 until they release newer RAM, KB&Ms, Fans and the like that connect to a new, proprietary, hub. Making the LNP, CP and all of our current hardware obsolete.

I don't know about any of you but I think it's stupid that iCue will have screen grabbing capabilities but not sync it up with any other hardware. For the record; it isn't a question of IF our current setups can do it (because they can). It's a question of why do I need extra software when iCue should handle it.

First, if you have an issue with hardware becoming obsolete ... well, you need to get over it. Really. It happens. All hardware, eventually, becomes obsolete. If that's an issue for you ... go to console. Oh, wait ... those become obsolete too. Nevermind ... just go live in a cave.

Second, Corsair has a complete RGB ecosystem and the connectors are not "proprietary". They are standard Molex SL series connectors and have been around for years. The Aura style 3-pin connector that everyone calls standard? Yeah, they aren't. Asus/MSI came up with those; they didn't exist before. Market power - and nothing else - made those the most common. It's actually less capable (it doesn't have the return data line that you have with the fans ... so you really have more limited control) and it has a tendency to wiggle loose (no lock), and has the possibility of connecting to the wrong connector (using extensions, since only 4 pin are easily accessible). The Corsair system doesn't have these issues.

Third, there's no reason, at this time, to believe that they will be changing the connectors. They have a vast array of devices already on the current connector system. And so far, all of their newest devices are using it. The LS100 uses the same connector as a Lighting Node Pro and RGB Strip. The QL fans use the same connector (and hardware) as the rest of the RGB fans. So ... you are spewing FUD without any evidence or reason ... just to spew FUD. Thats #FakeNews.

Edited by DevBiker