Corsair Community

Corsair are trying to force customers to buy new products.

Scoose

Several months back, Corsair released an iCue update and suddenly about 15 of my keys were displaying the wrong colours and they were flickering. I Googled it and noticed a bunch of people were having the same issue at the same time. I contacted Corsair and they said it was faulty and now that it was out of warranty, I would have to purchase another one. I had been away for 2 weeks and the keyboard hadn't even been touched and it was working fine before I left so I protested their judgement. I was told there was nothing they could do.

I recently decided to just uninstall all of the Corsair software for the keyboard and guess what? The colours are all fine and none of them are flickering. Remember when Apple got in trouble because whenever they released a new phone the old models would start to slow down? I believe this is what Corsair are doing to make people buy new peripherals.

So question here, just how old is the keyboard and was it in warranty when you contacted them regarding this? Also are you in the states?

As for doing this to sell new versions, I am going to say that's a negative there. Heck if you knew how much I hated crApple you would see that Corsair pales to them in that department and with my recent history on here should speak to the fact I do not like what I have seen with them lately.

Back to first questions, if you are in the states (not sure how this works elsewhere), and if the keyboard was in warranty WHEN you contacted them regarding this, so long as it is the same issue they cannot deny a warranty request as the "problem" was brought to their attention before the warranty ran out. I use quotes here because it isn't the keyboard that's the issue. Its the software, and its been the software all along with this stuff. Not saying the hardware doesn't have issues at times though.

But no, not acceptable especially if that's the optics people are starting to get because of all the problems of late.

I'm not in the States or Canada, I'm in the UK and it was out of warranty when I contacted them about it. However, they told me it was the hardware that was faulty despite me telling them nothing had changed. It had no physical damage, had not received water damage and hadn't even been touched for weeks. But they still claimed there was a faulty LED somewhere causing a chain reaction of lights to behave incorrectly or some rubbish; and suggested I buy another one. They 'kindly' offered me 15% off a new keyboard of my choice IF I was based in UK or Canada.

Ahhhh, yeah that is kinda messed up. If you are down for this we can try to work through the problems to see if the problem can be tracked down and get it back up and running for you properly. Would need a few bits of information though:

What keyboard?

OS Version?

ICurse version that last worked and the one that you have been having issues with?

System specs?

Again, only if you would like to try to see if it can be straightened out. On the other hand, I wouldn't fault you for saying no and going with say a Logitech G910 (just the first that came to mind, even if I consider Logitechs support to be near the top of the list marked "Worst case scenario").

Internally, the kb has a table for the RGB coloring, and that table can become corrupt, and thus odd coloring effects. Doing a soft reset rebuilds this. Also, the iCUE app can affect this as well, and thus why redoing the application fixed the coloring. (You synced the color tables on the kb and the software by doing this)

Ahhhh, yeah that is kinda messed up. If you are down for this we can try to work through the problems to see if the problem can be tracked down and get it back up and running for you properly. Would need a few bits of information though:

What keyboard?

OS Version?

ICurse version that last worked and the one that you have been having issues with?

System specs?

My keyboard still works fine, I'm using it right now and I'm not having any issues with it. As soon as I install the iCue software, then the lights all go random colours (I had it set to green and random keys changed to white, pink, purple, orange etc.) and the affected keys start to flicker.

Edited by Scoose

Internally, the kb has a table for the RGB coloring, and that table can become corrupt, and thus odd coloring effects. Doing a soft reset rebuilds this. Also, the iCUE app can affect this as well, and thus why redoing the application fixed the coloring. (You synced the color tables on the kb and the software by doing this)

I didn't reinstall the application, I removed it completely. All software relating to iCue is gone now. The problem is still there but only when iCue is installed. Because I have removed the software I am stuck with the default colour scheme forever. But at least I don't have flickering keys and random colours. I also did several resets because Corsair advised me to. However, it wasn't a hardware issue so the problem remained.